Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15x8 and 225 45r15?

Ordered some 15x8 TDs and weighing my options on tire choice. I'm on stock suspension currently but will be getting coilovers sometime soon.

wheel/tire decision criteria
-Sticky tires for street/autox
-Love the meaty tire look
-Rim protection
-No rubbing
-Improved ride

I read 205's are faster on 8's and 225's are faster on 9's, but not sure the incremental time difference matters that much to me.

pretty much narrowed my search to 205 50r15 re71rs or 205 50r15 rivals or 225 45r15 rivals

leaning towards 225 45r15 because I like the less stretched look, smaller overall diameter, and the wider than stock size.
[MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] are these 225 45r15 rivals? If so, how did they fit?

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
Yup 225/45/15 they fit very well and square looking on the rim.. no stretch
Thanks! I really appreciate people like you; paving the way and willing to help. I think I'll be going with 225s, looks really good on your car.

I will post some pics once I get everything mounted.

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
Thanks! I really appreciate people like you; paving the way and willing to help. I think I'll be going with 225s, looks really good on your car.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A 225 wide tire is generally a very good match for an 8" wide wheel but tires are not made to sidewall specs except in diameter and sometimes as far off a different size is best for a particular setup and of course what is available and intended use comes into play. The 225 rival s will work very well on the 15x8 wheel but was proven to be faster on a 9" wide wheel which takes considerable work to fit on this
car. The fastest tire might be one of the 205's ans provide more direct feedback and control. I have posted a lot of info about all this but right now on a tablet while m $$$$ laptop is drying in the sun so done for now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

B-Stone does not currently make the RE71s in that size??
(I know they are taking their sweet old time about releasing new sizes in that much in demand donut. :( )

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just looked at the actual specs of the three tires, both 205 tires are not really wide and the 225 ends up being what I would recommend in this particular case.

meFiSTo

I have some 15x8s coming in on the same boat through Discount.

My quandary at the moment is to determine whether these should be track-focused wheels (in which case I would probably put NT01s on them) OR street wheels and "last resort" track wheels (then I would go with one of the Extreme summer tires). In the latter case, I'm down to the Hankook Ventus R-S3 Version 2 or the BFG g-Force Rival S tires. The Hankooks are cheap, decent track performers; the BFGs are better tires, but I'm not sure they're worth it to me (plus I've heard they get greasy fast in an HPDE setting). I'm not doing "time triala" or trying to outrun anyone at a track day. Just like to get out to have a little fun once in a while. Around town, I never hoon in any significant way. Kind of boils down to which is better in the wet. Deep down I love the NT01s, but, realistically, the 205/50-15s on my 15x7 wheels are fine for track days. Still, the siren song of wider, grippier r-compounds is seductive.

In any event, I suspect I'll land on the BFGs, mostly because I've had the prior generation Hankooks and was not a fan.

YMMV.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Nto1 is likely close to the same as the ra1and r88 , same manf I get heat cycled, shaved, ra1 for $400 shipped, race team barely used take offs. Rival s is an autocross or TT tire, not hpde, it is a great in stand grip warm weather street tire. I would use nto1,rc1 r comps or r_s3 if for street\hpde

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
yes, I was surprised when i compared the tread width of 205 re71r to the 225 rivals, too bad the Bridgestones don't come in 225. I just placed my order for the Rivals. I'm definitely not liking the cost compared to the 205 options, but i think i'll be happy with the performance and look. Really cool you can run 225s, drop massive unsprung weight, and have more side wall with an overall smaller tire diameter when you drop down to 15s. win win win

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 100 tread wear tires, IF used on the street, WILL pick up every little piece of shrapnel, every nail, and anything else they can (and will) attract like a 10 million gauss electromagnet!
Expect MANY MANY flats, on top of less than 5000 miles of wear, yes, even on these relatively lightweight cars. [sad]

FUGGETABOUT the UNDER 100 tread wear gumballs on the street!! [nono]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Those are the TD Pro 1.2s, correct?

That DOES look GREAT (BESIDES functioning even better yet!), despite how tiny those wheels are.[twothumb]

Again, I WISH the Performance Blue was still available!!! [sad]

Ordered some 15x8 TDs and weighing my options on tire choice. I'm on stock suspension currently but will be getting coilovers sometime soon.

wheel/tire decision criteria
-Sticky tires for street/autox
-Love the meaty tire look
-Rim protection
-No rubbing
-Improved ride

I read 205's are faster on 8's and 225's are faster on 9's, but not sure the incremental time difference matters that much to me.

pretty much narrowed my search to 205 50r15 re71rs or 205 50r15 rivals or 225 45r15 rivals

leaning towards 225 45r15 because I like the less stretched look, smaller overall diameter, and the wider than stock size.

[MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] are these 225 45r15 rivals? If so, how did they fit?

Are those 35mm offset?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have driven on dot track tires on the Street but only to events and back, never full time,not planning to ever do so.

meFiSTo

I have driven on dot track tires on the Street but only to events and back, never full time,not planning to ever do so.
Yeah, they pick up a ton of pebbles and crap just from a dirty paddock, let alone driving on the street. For me, the r-compounds are strictly for mount-at-the-track wheels. It's just that doing so has become such a PITA to get them on and off. Dad has become a lazy old fart. Takes me nearly 1/2 hour each way -- torquing the lug nuts, adjusting cold pressures, squaring away the takeoffs and tools, etc.

I have a set on the boat as well. Mine will be DD use with some mountain fun here in Georgia and I plan on running the 195/55/15 BFG sport comp 2 summer tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one have used R compounds on the street and understand the drawbacks. I still like them and plan on getting a set of Toyo R888 in 225/50x15 for my TD 1.2's when they arrive this month. They even come in a 235/50x15 which might fit.

I like the 225/50's because they are 0.3" taller than OEM vs. the 225/45 which run about 1/2" smaller in diameter than stock.