Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FSWerks Short Shift Kit Review

Yeah the misalignment.... or crappy looking machine work.

I dealt with a lot of CNC work, and there is literally no reason for a part to look like this... I am trying to refrain from speaking ill of the product, but it is taking FSWERKS too long to respond and I am not that patient.

While it may fit and have no adverse effect, I feel that consumer level product should be finished better than this.

koozy

3000 Post Club

Yeah the misalignment.... or crappy looking machine work.

I dealt with a lot of CNC work, and there is literally no reason for a part to look like this... I am trying to refrain from speaking ill of the product, but it is taking FSWERKS too long to respond and I am not that patient.

While it may fit and have no adverse effect, I feel that consumer level product should be finished better than this.
I felt the same about their ill fitting slip on/clamp exhaust. Went with Cobb's and never looked back. I took a chance with this shift kit due to competitive price compared to the other options and i got lucky I suppose with the shift kit. What I received looked good and fitment and function is good too, no issues.

I've seen fswerks place blemished short shift kits for sale at a discount. While most likely perfectly functional what you received looks like crap and should be sold at a discount. Send them photos you should get a full refund or exchange without question, IMHO.

I felt the same about their ill fitting slip on/clamp exhaust. Went with Cobb's and never looked back. I took a chance with this shift kit due to competitive price compared to the other options and i got lucky I suppose with the shift kit. What I received looked good and fitment and function is good too, no issues.

I've seen fswerks place blemished short shift kits for sale at a discount. While most likely perfectly functional what you received looks like crap and should be sold at a discount IMO.
If I don't hear back from them soon, I suppose I will dispute the charge on my card. While I did get a 10% discount due to labor day sales, for this quality, I would normally not consider purchasing this item. I will shoot them a second email and wait until next Wednesday which is an reasonable amount of time.

Mine wasn't that bad but it's wasn't as good as I thought it would be especially in this day of cnc machines and all that. I just sold a mountune one that I got as a gift and it was spotless in comparison although it was a lot more money

OK, thanks. [thumb]

I was planning on getting the WHOLE boomba deal anyway, just thought he knew of something on top of that to take it even further. ;)
Actually, if you really want to go for the shortest throws possible, it looks like the Mountune adapter plate combined with the Boomba shift lever will get you the biggest reduction. When I was shopping for mine, I looked up the specs on all three.

Boomba: 20% reduction
Mountune: 30% reduction
FSWerks: 15/25% reduction.

I know this is reviving an old thread, but how did this end up being resolved? I, too, would be disappointed in a part that is poorly machined and is misaligned. I was about to purchase a short shift adapter and was leaning towards FSWERKS because of the 25% reduction, but I then found this old thread.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I know this is reviving an old thread, but how did this end up being resolved? I, too, would be disappointed in a part that is poorly machined and is misaligned. I was about to purchase a short shift adapter and was leaning towards FSWERKS because of the 25% reduction, but I then found this old thread.
Ditto, I'm wanting to acquire this mod soon.

I received mine last week. Looks just like Manta's photos. When I fit the two pieces together, the curve is off and there is a noticeable lip between the two pieces. No dings though.

I'm installing it this weekend, so will see how it goes. As long as it is 100% functional, I'm okay with the slight defective appearance that probably isn't noticeable once installed. The price was good compared to other offerings, so I'll chalk it up to getting what I paid for.

I've had mine installed for over a year, never really looked at the alignment before I installed it.
I've never had any functionality issues with it, in fact I'd say it's one of the best drivability mods you can make on this car

Looking online, the Boomba Racing part is the same $85 price as the FSWERKS, but claims only a 20% reduction, not the 25% of the FSWERKS. The design is different in that the main part is one piece, with a separate bolt-on base plate, not the split cradles where the 2 halves are not lining up on the FSWERKS parts pictured. Does it matter? I have no clue, but I think the halves should be manufactured so they line up. The other option is Mountune, but it's $159. This one piece design claims a 30% reduction but requires removal of the factory shifter cable pin. A puller is supplied but this would greatly complicate ever returning the car to stock. Still, 30% is 30%, with just this kit.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
When researching shift adapters a few weeks ago I came across this thread. I still ordered the FSWerks and when it came in I thought it was machined and finished nicely. It may have been misaligned but who cares. I forgot to check. Anyway it's been on a few weeks and whadya know, it works! I guess it might be unsightly to the ants and spiders and leaves that may grt in there and see it, but I couldn't care less. It's funny that people complain about this kind of stuff... And drive a Fiesta.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just buy one, if it comes in and it's not to your standard return it and tell FSWERKS it was defective. How can they improve quality control if they never hear quality is bad in the first place?

I've had mine in since 1k miles more than 2 years ago, set it to 25% and it's the perfect shift throw. How the car should have been stock imo

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Mine has been installed since creating this post and not a single issue with it. Really pleased with the short shifter.

I was able to install this over the weekend. Actual fit was solid. Drove around quite a bit afterwards and everything sounds/feels great. Went with the 25% and it seems perfect. Installation wasn't bad, and that is something since I've a complete modding newb.

I also have the shift bracket bushings, but chickened out and didn't attempt to install. Looking at where the bracket sits, I think I'd need a ton of time to pull just about everything out of half the damn engine bay to get to it and I had already burned over an hour fighting with the hose clamp for taking out the symposer. Will save the bushings for another day.

The only thing that bothered me regarding the install was finding out how easy the shift cable pops off the stud (both the stock and new one). I mean, just a tiny bit a pressure and "pop" - it's off. As I'm ripping through the gears I just keep wondering if that cable is going to pop off on its own and strand me in whatever gear I'm in [:(]

The only thing that bothered me regarding the install was finding out how easy the shift cable pops off the stud (both the stock and new one). I mean, just a tiny bit a pressure and "pop" - it's off. As I'm ripping through the gears I just keep wondering if that cable is going to pop off on its own and strand me in whatever gear I'm in [:(]
Yeah that was a bit disconcerting for me as well, but then again there is no vertical movement involved while shifting and it has never been a problem for me.

I am also not a fan of how sloppy linkage is compared to my old mustangs with short shifters, but then again I guess there is really nothing to be done about that.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Seriously wanting to ad a short shifter. All my previous fox mustangs and Cobra had notchy short shifters that i loved. The FiST is too ... effortless.

The short shift adapter adds a tiny bit of effort. But I think a lighter-than-stock shift knob might also help. I had a heavier knob previously and everything slid into gear. I have a light shift knob now and it takes more effort to pull it into gear (which I am a big fan of).