Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FSWerks Short Shift Kit Review

Sorry to revive an old thread again. I just finished installing this shift adapter a couple days ago. Went with the 15% and it seems like the effort to shift has increased a lot. I noticed some of you guys say the effort does increase but mine seems like it has increased a lot compared to what others are saying. I do have the GT350 knob and no other shift mods installed. I'm fairly confident I installed everything correctly, so I'm wondering if it is possible to have messed something else up causing more effort? Maybe I just need to get used to it more?

I set mine to 25% reduction and all is well. It does increase effort, but also shortens the throws. I don't think you could have installed it incorrectly. It really only fits one way.

A few things:
1 - You will probably get used to it. I don't even recall what it felt like to shift previously. But for a few days after install, it was all very noticeable.
2 - A heavier shift knob will reduce the effort. I bought a cheap, heavy knob as a tester and with it installed, I can shift with two fingers as the weight does all of the work.
3 - You might need to re-calibrate the shift cable. There is a thread somewhere in here that details how to basically reset the cable by putting the shifter into fourth gear while you have a clamp released on the shift cable, and then re-clamping it. If I have time I'll see if I can find it. I have never done it because everything seems fine for me. But there are some users who did need to "reset" things once this or other shift mods were installed. That might be the case here.

EDIT - Found it. Long thread and the first post no longer has the pictures. But reading through it will show you how to adjust the shift cable.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-Vehicles-With-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-B6

I set mine to 25% reduction and all is well. It does increase effort, but also shortens the throws. I don't think you could have installed it incorrectly. It really only fits one way.

A few things:
1 - You will probably get used to it. I don't even recall what it felt like to shift previously. But for a few days after install, it was all very noticeable.
2 - A heavier shift knob will reduce the effort. I bought a cheap, heavy knob as a tester and with it installed, I can shift with two fingers as the weight does all of the work.
3 - You might need to re-calibrate the shift cable. There is a thread somewhere in here that details how to basically reset the cable by putting the shifter into fourth gear while you have a clamp released on the shift cable, and then re-clamping it. If I have time I'll see if I can find it. I have never done it because everything seems fine for me. But there are some users who did need to "reset" things once this or other shift mods were installed. That might be the case here.

EDIT - Found it. Long thread and the first post no longer has the pictures. But reading through it will show you how to adjust the shift cable.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-Vehicles-With-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-B6
Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can find about re-calibrating the shift cable. I guess I'll see how it feels after a week or two of driving. It just seems almost too notchy and harder to shift for just 15% shorter throw.

We'll see..

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I put the FSWerks kit in (25%) with the Cobb RMM at the same time. 100% satisfied. It did increase resistance, but in a good way. It doesn’t feel like a flimsy economy car.

Sorry to revive an old thread again. I just finished installing this shift adapter a couple days ago. Went with the 15% and it seems like the effort to shift has increased a lot. I noticed some of you guys say the effort does increase but mine seems like it has increased a lot compared to what others are saying. I do have the GT350 knob and no other shift mods installed. I'm fairly confident I installed everything correctly, so I'm wondering if it is possible to have messed something else up causing more effort? Maybe I just need to get used to it more?
Reporting back after a little over a week. I'm still on 15% and shifting feels pretty good to me now. Probably just got used to the new feeling. Anyone notice the distance between neutral and each half of gears (1-3-5 vs 2-4-6) is different? moving the gearshift up seems longer than moving it down. I never noticed this before installing the adapter. Does anyone know if the stock setup is like this? Maybe it is just a side effect of changing the shift leverage. [dunno]

Reporting back after a little over a week. I'm still on 15% and shifting feels pretty good to me now. Probably just got used to the new feeling. Anyone notice the distance between neutral and each half of gears (1-3-5 vs 2-4-6) is different? moving the gearshift up seems longer than moving it down. I never noticed this before installing the adapter. Does anyone know if the stock setup is like this? Maybe it is just a side effect of changing the shift leverage. [dunno]
I think you should pull it our and move the pin to the 25% position and then reinstall it. Most people use the 25% and maybe there is a difference in leverage. I have mine at 25% and although there is a bit more effort, it has never been a concern and the difference from stock is really great.

I am still on the stock shifter and also noticed from N to gears 1/3/5 is longer -- or feels longer -- than from N to gears 2/4/6.

LILIKE16ST

You can get any knob for a 2015 and up s550 mustang and it will work perfectly on our cars. It really opens up the options...you can go to places like cjponyparts to browse them. I got mine off ebay...it's a black ball 2 1/8 inch in diameter and has a spot for reverse lockout am has a white 6 speed logo engraved it's very nice and I think it only costed maybe 30 bucks or so. I got it in 2016 not long after getting the car. I like it much better than the stock knob. Looks like that Hurst knob in this thread but it's black with no Hurst logo. I'll be installing my fswerks shifter this weekend along with a whoosh symposer delete and my cpe intake.

You can get any knob for a 2015 and up s550 mustang and it will work perfectly on our cars. It really opens up the options...you can go to places like cjponyparts to browse them. I got mine off ebay...it's a black ball 2 1/8 inch in diameter and has a spot for reverse lockout am has a white 6 speed logo engraved it's very nice and I think it only costed maybe 30 bucks or so. I got it in 2016 not long after getting the car. I like it much better than the stock knob. Looks like that Hurst knob in this thread but it's black with no Hurst logo. I'll be installing my fswerks shifter this weekend along with a whoosh symposer delete and my cpe intake.
Nice! Yeah, had to rock the Hurst one, had one on my 2000 Camaro SS. Black car = white shifter ball :cool:

Just installed the FSWerks short shifter on my FiST and wanted to make sure I did it right... with all three bolts tightened down there is a bit of a gap between the top and bottom pieces of the mount - is that normal? I expected them to fit flush together but they don't seem to.

I don't want to put my airbox back in and go drive this thing without see what everyone else experienced on install.

The bolts are hand-tight since the directions said not to over torque. No movement on the mount or anything, but that gap has me nervous.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=8977]Rivy[/MENTION] I believe it to be normal. If it was flush, it may not be on tight enough, you know what I mean?

So long as the lock-tight is on, you should be good.

LILIKE16ST

Just installed the FSWerks short shifter on my FiST and wanted to make sure I did it right... with all three bolts tightened down there is a bit of a gap between the top and bottom pieces of the mount - is that normal? I expected them to fit flush together but they don't seem to.

I don't want to put my airbox back in and go drive this thing without see what everyone else experienced on install.

The bolts are hand-tight since the directions said not to over torque. No movement on the mount or anything, but that gap has me nervous.
I think you're fine long as you got the bolts hand snug and the loctite is on them pretty good. I just installed the same one not long ago set on 25% and it's an excellent mod for the money noticeably shorter and adds just a slight bit of effort to the effortless throws and makes it just slightly more notchy which to me was a good thing you will love it...good luck

The gap is fine, just make sure it is even all the way around the plates and you’re good.

Thanks for the replies guys! I put it all back together and it feels great! The shorter throws keep the knob a bit closer to me too which is great because the shifter position in the FiST was always a touch far away for me.

Seems like I'm all good but I snapped a photo of the gap I was talking about just so everyone could see. Did anyone else's adapter plates fit together flush?

IMG_0471.JPG