Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Meth Injection - Installation, Use, and Expectations Thread

Do we have any insight on the nozzle sizes yet?

I have cobb stage 3 and x47r turbo I'm going to use boost juice for now. I'm curious to get input on people that have dynoed there cars to test jet sizes.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
I had good luck with WMI on the EB Mustang, so decided to go the same route for the Fiesta. My plan is to go with the upgraded turbo, ported manifold, downpipe, and pro-tune in the near future, but decided to run some experiment with the Cobb OTS tunes.

Baseline:
Snow Performance Stage 3 (set to using boost only) with a small 2.5gph/157cc nozzle (will use a bigger nozzle for the turbo upgrade and pro-tune)
70% methanol / 30% distilled water mix
Whoosh V1 IC
Whoosh hot and cold side charge pipes
Whoosh crossover pipe
Mountune induction hose
Cobb drop in filter
Cobb OTS 93 OCT Stage 3 tune
AZ has 91 OCT gas (heard it's worse than 91 OCT from other parts of country)
Ambient temperature over 100 degrees

With WMI off:
Saw negative ignition corrections as much as -2 to -3 degrees when I got on the throttle. OAR got as low as around -0.80

With WMI on:
Only saw one instance of negative ignition correction and it was very low, like -0.06. OAR stayed at -1.00.
STFT at WOT and max boost stayed around -5% and the AFR did not fall below 11. There were no popping noses when lifting off the throttle. These findings suggests that Cobb OTS tune (and likely stock tune) can handle a small nozzle without issues. I heard that the ECU can handle up to around 20-25% fuel adjustment without issues and saw the same for the Mustang.
After using up some fluid, I added more water to get the ratio to around 50/50. No negative ignition correction observed so far. I will keep increasing the ratio of water until I see negative results. I also have 1.5 and 2.0 gph nozzles so I can try them out if I don't see any issues at 100% water.

One thing I noticed is that I didn't see reported charge temp drop during the injection like I did with the Mustang. EB Mustangs have the charge temp sensor in the manifold MAP sensor so it must not be the case for the Fiesta ST.

I used the windshield waster fluid reservoir on the Mustang and decided to do the same. I overestimated the space in front of the bottle and couldn't mount the pump at the lowest point, but at least it's below the largest part of the bottle. I'll revisit later about making a custom mounting bracket to get the pump lower. The bottle holds about three quarts, same as the bottle that came with the Snow kit.
1633117995271.jpeg

I had good luck with WMI on the EB Mustang, so decided to go the same route for the Fiesta. My plan is to go with the upgraded turbo, ported manifold, downpipe, and pro-tune in the near future, but decided to run some experiment with the Cobb OTS tunes.

Baseline:
Snow Performance Stage 3 (set to using boost only) with a small 2.5gph/157cc nozzle (will use a bigger nozzle for the turbo upgrade and pro-tune)
70% methanol / 30% distilled water mix
Whoosh V1 IC
Whoosh hot and cold side charge pipes
Whoosh crossover pipe
Mountune induction hose
Cobb drop in filter
Cobb OTS 93 OCT Stage 3 tune
AZ has 91 OCT gas (heard it's worse than 91 OCT from other parts of country)
Ambient temperature over 100 degrees

With WMI off:
Saw negative ignition corrections as much as -2 to -3 degrees when I got on the throttle. OAR got as low as around -0.80

With WMI on:
Only saw one instance of negative ignition correction and it was very low, like -0.06. OAR stayed at -1.00.
STFT at WOT and max boost stayed around -5% and the AFR did not fall below 11. There were no popping noses when lifting off the throttle. These findings suggests that Cobb OTS tune (and likely stock tune) can handle a small nozzle without issues. I heard that the ECU can handle up to around 20-25% fuel adjustment without issues and saw the same for the Mustang.
After using up some fluid, I added more water to get the ratio to around 50/50. No negative ignition correction observed so far. I will keep increasing the ratio of water until I see negative results. I also have 1.5 and 2.0 gph nozzles so I can try them out if I don't see any issues at 100% water.

One thing I noticed is that I didn't see reported charge temp drop during the injection like I did with the Mustang. EB Mustangs have the charge temp sensor in the manifold MAP sensor so it must not be the case for the Fiesta ST.

I used the windshield waster fluid reservoir on the Mustang and decided to do the same. I overestimated the space in front of the bottle and couldn't mount the pump at the lowest point, but at least it's below the largest part of the bottle. I'll revisit later about making a custom mounting bracket to get the pump lower. The bottle holds about three quarts, same as the bottle that came with the Snow kit.
View attachment 43858

I'd like to see more of your underhood install and updates on your testing. I have the capacity and typically do pretty indepth testing on most modifications. But it's great to see someone else's testing.

I'm happy with where my car sits at the edge of the stock fuel system. But I like the extra margin of safety, lower intake Temps, and solvent properties of a meth system. I have quality e85 conveniently available everywhere, year round, and have never used meth before. I'm going to install probably an aem meth kit+solenoid completly underhood with underhood controller.

I'm planning on running 50/50 and try no additional tuning to start. If you're going strictly for lower charge Temps amd valve cleaning and not trying to increase fuel system capacity or raise boost, 50/50 seems a good place to start.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
I'd like to see more of your underhood install and updates on your testing. I have the capacity and typically do pretty indepth testing on most modifications. But it's great to see someone else's testing.

I'm happy with where my car sits at the edge of the stock fuel system. But I like the extra margin of safety, lower intake Temps, and solvent properties of a meth system. I have quality e85 conveniently available everywhere, year round, and have never used meth before. I'm going to install probably an aem meth kit+solenoid completly underhood with underhood controller.

I'm planning on running 50/50 and try no additional tuning to start. If you're going strictly for lower charge Temps amd valve cleaning and not trying to increase fuel system capacity or raise boost, 50/50 seems a good place to start.
I'm currently running E85 on the EB Mustang. I upgraded the injectors and HPFP so fueling isn't an issue at the stock block limit. I played around with WMI on that set up (had WMI on it before going E85) but couldn't feel any noticeable difference so I transferred the hardware to the Fiesta. I no longer have a covenant source of E85 so I plan to stick with pump gas and WMI with the Fiesta.

I plan on starting a build thread when I have some time but below are some additional pictures and notes:

I used the Whoosh boost tap and ran the hose inside to a T-fitting for the WMI controller and a boost gauge sensor.
20210916_114552.jpg

I temporarily mounted the controller on the steering column with double-sided tape for now so I can monitor when and how much it injects. Both it and the boost gauge shows similar boost readings, and at WOT, I see the boost going up close to 24 PSI. It's currently set to start at 6 PSI and max at 20 PSI.
20211021_100427.jpg
It didn't look like it was injecting initially (it worked fine on a bench with an air compressor used to simulate boost). After many hours of troubleshooting, I took a look at the cold side pipe and found that the hole wasn't drilled at the bung. Took the pipe out and spent a few minutes drilling and resolved the issue.
20210923_134045.jpg
This is how it looks with the nozzle, check valve and hose installed.
20210925_182243.jpg

My employer extended the remote work mandate due to COVID, so I haven't been driving much. I went to a store today and did a few 25-50 MPH runs at WOT, and things look good so far. My plan is to try 100% water once I use up most of the 50/50 mixture and see if it and a small nozzle are enough to run a 93 OCT OTS tune using 91 OCT gas before upgrading the turbo and going with a pro-tune down the road.
20211021_102057.jpg

I'm currently running E85 on the EB Mustang. I upgraded the injectors and HPFP so fueling isn't an issue at the stock block limit. I played around with WMI on that set up (had WMI on it before going E85) but couldn't feel any noticeable difference so I transferred the hardware to the Fiesta. I no longer have a covenant source of E85 so I plan to stick with pump gas and WMI with the Fiesta.

I plan on starting a build thread when I have some time but below are some additional pictures and notes:

I used the Whoosh boost tap and ran the hose inside to a T-fitting for the WMI controller and a boost gauge sensor.
View attachment 44281

I temporarily mounted the controller on the steering column with double-sided tape for now so I can monitor when and how much it injects. Both it and the boost gauge shows similar boost readings, and at WOT, I see the boost going up close to 24 PSI. It's currently set to start at 6 PSI and max at 20 PSI.
View attachment 44282
It didn't look like it was injecting initially (it worked fine on a bench with an air compressor used to simulate boost). After many hours of troubleshooting, I took a look at the cold side pipe and found that the hole wasn't drilled at the bung. Took the pipe out and spent a few minutes drilling and resolved the issue.
View attachment 44283
This is how it looks with the nozzle, check valve and hose installed.
View attachment 44284

My employer extended the remote work mandate due to COVID, so I haven't been driving much. I went to a store today and did a few 25-50 MPH runs at WOT, and things look good so far. My plan is to try 100% water once I use up most of the 50/50 mixture and see if it and a small nozzle are enough to run a 93 OCT OTS tune using 91 OCT gas before upgrading the turbo and going with a pro-tune down the road.
View attachment 44286

Thanks anything any everything you've got, id live to see here. Also, if you have any pics of pump and tank setup from the install.....

Drop a link or notice here when you start your build thread. I love to follow thoughtful modders who set goals and document changes.

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
Here's the current location of the pump. I don't use the fog lights so I ended up removing the driver side one and trimming some of the corner off (the side without the screw hole so the fog light can be remounted later). I'll have to trim most of the fog light mount if I want to pump lower so I'll consider other mount locations later. One option may be to go with a ST200 style airbox and mounting below it.

I started a build thread today but ran out of the time, so I'll add the WMI portion later.

20210920_140944.jpg

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
This is how I had it mounted on the Mustang but unfortunately, the Fiesta has much less space to play around with.

1635200395453.png