Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST recalls info thread

Well I thought I would check out my relay just in case and it looks like I have a different fuse box on my 2015 compared to the 2016 in the pics on here. Here is a pic of mine. FYI my relay looked fine. Not burnt but not as beefy as the one for the recall.

Attachments

Yes, the 2016 has a different lay out. I noticed that on my 2016 when I was DIYing my Fog Light DRL.

Well I thought I would check out my relay just in case and it looks like I have a different fuse box on my 2015 compared to the 2016 in the pics on here. Here is a pic of mine. FYI my relay looked fine. Not burnt but not as beefy as the one for the recall.

I'm wondering what the major difference with the new relay in the recall is vs the original and if it be a good idea to change mine even though it's a different lay out.

So my car overheated on the highway today sitting in traffic. I already knew about the recall and had a day setup to get the relay done on Monday. My car starts chiming while I'm sitting pretty still in traffic and I look down and the water temp light is on the the temp gauge is all the way at H. I pull over as fast as I can and turn it off. I get stuck in more traffic in a place that normally isn't bumper to bumper, just my luck and the temp goes up quick again. My parents are visiting this weekend so I tell my dad and pull out the relay and it's burnt... My dad and I drive over to AutoZone to grab a generic relay and when he puts it in he notices that lead gets red hot because it's not making good contact. So he modifies it to get better contact and we get it working temporarily until I can go in on Monday. I'm going to tell them to replace that contact on the fuse box too. That bugger got HOT.

So my car overheated on the highway today sitting in traffic. I already knew about the recall and had a day setup to get the relay done on Monday. My car starts chiming while I'm sitting pretty still in traffic and I look down and the water temp light is on the the temp gauge is all the way at H. I pull over as fast as I can and turn it off. I get stuck in more traffic in a place that normally isn't bumper to bumper, just my luck and the temp goes up quick again. My parents are visiting this weekend so I tell my dad and pull out the relay and it's burnt... My dad and I drive over to AutoZone to grab a generic relay and when he puts it in he notices that lead gets red hot because it's not making good contact. So he modifies it to get better contact and we get it working temporarily until I can go in on Monday. I'm going to tell them to replace that contact on the fuse box too. That bugger got HOT.

Damn that looks not good
And is this on your 2016?

Sil3nt, what was your build date?

I'm curious, because my 2016 build date was end of January 2016, and it shows no recall actions listed for my VIN. Is it only for 2016s prior to a certain build date? Anyone else have a 2016 with a build date past Jan 1, 2016 that had a melted relay?

Damn that looks not good
And is this on your 2016?
Yes, it's my 2016.

Sil3nt, what was your build date?

I'm curious, because my 2016 build date was end of January 2016, and it shows no recall actions listed for my VIN. Is it only for 2016s prior to a certain build date? Anyone else have a 2016 with a build date past Jan 1, 2016 that had a melted relay?
I factory ordered mine back in June 2015 with a build date of 9/7/15. I got my letter probably a month ago and my AC started acting up a couple days ago. At the time I didn't realize it meant the cooling fan wasn't running. I either got lucky with it not overheating or it was working some of the time.

The replacement relay from AutoZone has worked fine all today.

Just an update, if you got the letter in the mail get it swapped out now. Otherwise it will do what mine did in which case you'll have to get the wiring harness replaced. And my wiring harness is on backorder, so I'm currently in a rental for who knows how long based on how backordered parts have worked in the past.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Shit. I got my letter about a month ago. I didn't think it was that serious. Making an appt. ASAP. Thanks for the kick in the ass

I experienced this A/C problem a couple of weeks ago, and went in and got my relay replaced. Since then I've been road tripping around the South--lots of long, hot highway rides, and the AC has been dropping out every once in a while, usually after a few hours of running. I've spoken with the dealership, and they told me that there's a special service bulletin about low internal pressure in the compressor, and they're going to replace it next week. I haven't been able to find much about this online. Has anyone else heard about this?

EDIT: A/C failed on the way to the dealership, but on the way home, after the replaced compressor, blew ice cold all the way, which is encouraging.

I experienced this A/C problem a couple of weeks ago, and went in and got my relay replaced. Since then I've been road tripping around the South--lots of long, hot highway rides, and the AC has been dropping out every once in a while, usually after a few hours of running. I've spoken with the dealership, and they told me that there's a special service bulletin about low internal pressure in the compressor, and they're going to replace it next week. I haven't been able to find much about this online. Has anyone else heard about this?

EDIT: A/C failed on the way to the dealership, but on the way home, after the replaced compressor, blew ice cold all the way, which is encouraging.
So, this is happening to me. Please see the repair order of everything that was done last week in GA. Got the car delivered in TX yesterday...AC works fine for an hour or so, then stops blowing cold air when ambient outside temperature gets above 85 degrees?!?

UPDATE ON RELAY! If you have an early 2015 year model the upgraded relay "WILL NOT FIT IN THE SOCKET"! Just went and bought one and there isn't enough room for the larger pin on the upgrade to slide into?!?

Just sayin...

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you get a letter for the recall? I believe it was just for the '16s

It's just the early '16s, no '14 or '15s. The '16s have a completely redesigned engine relay box so it's all different and later '16s came with the good relay from the factory.

Recall Date: MAR 27, 2017
Recall Title: COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR SYSTEM INSTALLATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 17S09
Ford Recall Number: 17S09
Recall Description: SUBJECT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.6L GTDI ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE UNDERHOOD FIRES DUE TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO CRACKS AND RESULTING IN OIL LEAKS. FOR THIS TO OCCUR, THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A COOLANT LOSS WELL BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL IN THE COOLANT BOTTLE AT THE TIME OF A COLD START OF THE VEHICLE. WHEN A COLD ENGINE IS STARTED WITH INSUFFICIENT COOLANT AND THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN, THE CYLINDER HEAD UNDERGOES RAPID HEATING, WHICH CAN LEAD TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RESULTANT CRACKING. AS OF MARCH 17, 2017, FORD WAS AWARE OF 26 REPORTS OF UNDERHOOD FIRES WITH A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD, INCLUDING LOCALIZED FIRES NEAR THE TURBOCHARGERS. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD CAN RESULT IN A PRESSURIZED OIL LEAK. OIL THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE SURFACE, INCREASES THE RISK OF AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR AND THE SUPPORTING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE INSTALLED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS MAY 8, 2017. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE DEALER NOTIFICATION LETTER, TO THE AGENCY, WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

As of 03/29/17

Recall Date: MAR 27, 2017
Recall Title: COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR SYSTEM INSTALLATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 17S09
Ford Recall Number: 17S09
Recall Description: SUBJECT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.6L GTDI ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE UNDERHOOD FIRES DUE TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO CRACKS AND RESULTING IN OIL LEAKS. FOR THIS TO OCCUR, THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A COOLANT LOSS WELL BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL IN THE COOLANT BOTTLE AT THE TIME OF A COLD START OF THE VEHICLE. WHEN A COLD ENGINE IS STARTED WITH INSUFFICIENT COOLANT AND THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN, THE CYLINDER HEAD UNDERGOES RAPID HEATING, WHICH CAN LEAD TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RESULTANT CRACKING. AS OF MARCH 17, 2017, FORD WAS AWARE OF 26 REPORTS OF UNDERHOOD FIRES WITH A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD, INCLUDING LOCALIZED FIRES NEAR THE TURBOCHARGERS. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD CAN RESULT IN A PRESSURIZED OIL LEAK. OIL THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE SURFACE, INCREASES THE RISK OF AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR AND THE SUPPORTING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE INSTALLED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS MAY 8, 2017. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE DEALER NOTIFICATION LETTER, TO THE AGENCY, WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

As of 03/29/17
Makes me worry now but I haven't had any issues since. About 6 months ago I had lost a sufficient amount of coolant due to a bad water pump gasket slowly leaking that the lights came on the dash so I turned it off and pulled over. I just hope mine doesn't crack or get stressed over the time I own it.

Makes me worry now but I haven't had any issues since. About 6 months ago I had lost a sufficient amount of coolant due to a bad water pump gasket slowly leaking that the lights came on the dash so I turned it off and pulled over. I just hope mine doesn't crack or get stressed over the time I own it.
I was worried to and I haven't even had any issues so far lol. This is not a small issue. It seems they want everyone to come in and have the fluid level sensor installed regardless of if you have had the symptoms. I haven't called ford yet so I'm not entirely sure. Also its for the 14 and 15 FiSTs.

I was worried to and I haven't even had any issues so far lol. This is not a small issue. It seems they want everyone to come in and have the fluid level sensor installed regardless of if you have had the symptoms. I haven't called ford yet so I'm not entirely sure. Also its for the 14 and 15 FiSTs.
Mine is a 2014 year. I wonder how the vehicle will notify you when the coolant gets low. Curious now almost at that 36k mark and there is some minor warranty work that needs done before I get to it.