Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Making a ratcheting sound that echos of cars while in gear but drives fine...

Car is making an ungodly ratcheting sound in gear at low rpms and turns into a whirly sound at high rpms. clutch got replaced this year...no change in performance but its so loud it echoes off walls and other cars. it wasn't this bad until yesterday. new clutch is about 5k miles old. 75k on factory one without this sound ever. Was replaced at ford with ford parts and all were subpar I believe but I'm not a mechanic. Loud enough in cab for me to turn speakers over half way up just to white noise it out. Frustrated with clutch options and shops....it may not even be the clutch but I'm no mechanic and any help is appreciated. [:(]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Vary throttle without changing speed... any change in the sound? Does the sound change when depressing the clutch pedal? Is the sound synonymous with engine load or RPM or both ? At low speed, you can use the e-brake for very *brief* periods to artificially increase engine load. Unless it's been modified I think turbo doesn't engage until needed. Think of a way to discern whether the sound may be related to the exhaust, or the turbo.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
I'm positive its my cv joint actually... it makes the noise with no throttle and just rolling. It happened on my 05 civic when I was younger.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You said that the noise changes with engine speed. If the problem was one of your CV joints then the noise would change with road speed, irrespective of what gear you were in.

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
You said that the noise changes with engine speed. If the problem was one of your CV joints then the noise would change with road speed, irrespective of what gear you were in.
taking it to a shop tomo and I will record the sound before I drop it off so when the diagnoses comes it can help others out. its changes with road speed and not engine speed....being in gear just makes it louder. I only noticed that after I made the post lol

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Suspension load may change when the engine is engaged. When suspension load changes, CV joint angles change and thus, the noise may change.

Pat, swerve with the engine disengaged. That will change suspension load.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Suspension load may change when the engine is engaged. When suspension load changes, CV joint angles change and thus, the noise may change.

Pat, swerve with the engine disengaged. That will change suspension load.
Its in the shop already. I did make a video of the noise with engine load, in gear coasting, neutral, and turning. Ill post it later today and, as soon as I hear from the shop Ill post about it.

OP
P
Thread Starter #9
Just heard back from the shop and its the tranny. It was essentially half empty of fluid....JUST had the clutch replaced at my FORD DEALERSHIP WHERE IN WHICH THEY FORGOT TO A: Hook my headlights back up. B: TELL ME MY FRONT BRAKES WERE SHOT cause the the day after I got it back they started grinding ( AND they installed 4 tires and rear brake pads while it was there) Apparently they forgot to do anything with any kind of respect and honor. Pricks. Anywho, its in good hands now. I'm just frustrated. Car will have been shopped more than half this year[boxface] the punches just keep coming

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Even if you have to travel 60 miles out of your way, find a different service center. It ain't easy work'n on modern day vehicles and unfortunately that means mistakes will be more common. But when they occur repeatedly and/or there is friction with the staff over getting work done, it's time to move on.