Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB Traction Control

Siestarider

Seem like this thread is a good place to add information about what TC/ESC are and what TVC is. I found this reasonably complete summary with performance experiments on disabling ABS which also disables TVC.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-su...control-changes-handling-characteristics.html

Basically, careful what you wish for, it looks like its already too late to try to separate all the nannies from overall track experience in terms of handling improvement.

Hard part for me is what can and cannot be tuned. But my take is Quaife runs well on track with ESC/TV fully off and ABS/TVC still active, seems TVC pretty compatible with LSD.

Experience on track says LSD results in less TVC invoked, front brake wear is still there, just reduced. It will be fun learning how tuning TC affects brakes on track, but mainly for those not using a mechanical LSD.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Seem like this thread is a good place to add information about what TC/ESC are and what TVC is. I found this reasonably complete summary with performance experiments on disabling ABS which also disables TVC.

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-su...control-changes-handling-characteristics.html

Basically, careful what you wish for, it looks like its already too late to try to separate all the nannies from overall track experience in terms of handling improvement.

Hard part for me is what can and cannot be tuned. But my take is Quaife runs well on track with ESC/TV fully off and ABS/TVC still active, seems TVC pretty compatible with LSD.

Experience on track says LSD results in less TVC invoked, front brake wear is still there, just reduced. It will be fun learning how tuning TC affects brakes on track, but mainly for those not using a mechanical LSD.

I SO wish that Torsen made a T2R type diff for these cars with that beautiful 4:1 bias ratio.

As great as the Quaife and Wavetrac are in these cars, they are only ~2:1 to 2.5:1 bias ratio LSDs. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Cobb;

Is there ANY chance that this feature could be included/already installed on future AP V whatevers (even for an added charge), or will it ONLY ever be able to be installed by one of your certified tuners?

I am taking delivery of the (ordered) car near the end of September, and want to order an AP the day I pick it up.
Can I buy an AP with this (and maybe other {launch control, etc.} options) already installed from one of your Accesstuner Pro dealers, or will/can it only be done with the car present, and maybe even on a dyno??

(I am new to the world of Cobb, but have MUCH experience with DiabloSport CMR, EFI Live, LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, etc.)

jeff

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=555]COBB Tuning[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4961]Kyle[/MENTION]@COBB

Hey Cobb here's a squeaky wheel needing grease!

So your adjustable TC is a truly awesome feature. I would ask if one improvement can be considered for the next firmware upgrade...

With many modifications comes more power much of which is not usable hence the Cobb TC. Factory TC is useless at these power levels, it doesn't even seem like it can figure out it's time to kick in and I'm already at redine. Cobb TC however is brilliant. The car is tuned for full power which presents a problem in gear 1 and 2 if I want to go WOT. Or if my wife is driving and doesn't want to have to feather it. So I got my tune equipped with Cobb TC on as the default. Then comes the next issue...the default (out of 1 through 8) is 1. Here is a problem because 1 is too invasive. 8 allows too much spin but 5 is perfect in good weather.

So, with TC on and the slip multiplier on setting 5 I can floor it in 2nd and I just go go go. But, having to set it to 5 (since default is 1) every time I turn the car on is going to wear out the buttons on my AP (not to mention it is inconvenient). Sure I could have my tuner set the car so it rides like on 5 but then I lose the option of adjusting it myself with such a broad range as you have made possible.

I know the AP can remember things....is it possible to enable it, with the next firmware upgrade, to remember which level (1 through 8) the slip multiplier was left on so I don't have to set it every time, or have the car re-tuned?

This would be awesome...thanks for your consideration and thanks for a great product!

OP
C
Thread Starter #25
Cobb;

Is there ANY chance that this feature could be included/already installed on future AP V whatevers (even for an added charge), or will it ONLY ever be able to be installed by one of your certified tuners?

I am taking delivery of the (ordered) car near the end of September, and want to order an AP the day I pick it up.
Can I buy an AP with this (and maybe other {launch control, etc.} options) already installed from one of your Accesstuner Pro dealers, or will/can it only be done with the car present, and maybe even on a dyno??

(I am new to the world of Cobb, but have MUCH experience with DiabloSport CMR, EFI Live, LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, etc.)
Adjustable Launch control is on the current off the shelf maps. The RPM can be adjusted without the input of a Protuner. The COBB traction control feature is also standard without any additional cost. Although, you'll be limited to the default settings.

So your adjustable TC is a truly awesome feature. I would ask if one improvement can be considered for the next firmware upgrade...

With many modifications comes more power much of which is not usable hence the Cobb TC. Factory TC is useless at these power levels, it doesn't even seem like it can figure out it's time to kick in and I'm already at redine. Cobb TC however is brilliant. The car is tuned for full power which presents a problem in gear 1 and 2 if I want to go WOT. Or if my wife is driving and doesn't want to have to feather it. So I got my tune equipped with Cobb TC on as the default. Then comes the next issue...the default (out of 1 through 8) is 1. Here is a problem because 1 is too invasive. 8 allows too much spin but 5 is perfect in good weather.

So, with TC on and the slip multiplier on setting 5 I can floor it in 2nd and I just go go go. But, having to set it to 5 (since default is 1) every time I turn the car on is going to wear out the buttons on my AP (not to mention it is inconvenient). Sure I could have my tuner set the car so it rides like on 5 but then I lose the option of adjusting it myself with such a broad range as you have made possible.

I know the AP can remember things....is it possible to enable it, with the next firmware upgrade, to remember which level (1 through 8) the slip multiplier was left on so I don't have to set it every time, or have the car re-tuned?

This would be awesome...thanks for your consideration and thanks for a great product!
The setting will revert to the default with each key cycle. Your tuner is able to make the same settings as slot 5 the default and retain the same adjustability with each slot.

Kyle@COBB

Last edited:

A7xogg

Well guys if you haven't, do a track day or hard driving with the Cobb t/c. Car feels more solid and less hit or miss like the stock t/c button. Thank you Cobb for making a great t/c system!

felopr

Well guys if you haven't, do a track day or hard driving with the Cobb t/c. Car feels more solid and less hit or miss like the stock t/c button. Thank you Cobb for making a great t/c system!
is even better if you dial the number to your power curve

green_henry

1000 Post Club

Hey, @jeff, I really appreciate your youtube video on the Cobb TC feature (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY
), but I noticed that it was posted a few months after the post above and you recommended 1 instead of 5. Did you experience issues with the 5 setting? Which setting are you using today? FWIW, tried it for the first time today and 1 felt very good (on the road ... track will need to wait, sadly).

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey, @jeff, I really appreciate your youtube video on the Cobb TC feature (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UzpTzeJgY
), but I noticed that it was posted a few months after the post above and you recommended 1 instead of 5. Did you experience issues with the 5 setting? Which setting are you using today? FWIW, tried it for the first time today and 1 felt very good (on the road ... track will need to wait, sadly).
It’s going to be different for every car depending on power level, traction mods, and how the tune is set up. So it’s not one size fits all. I was pushing for some way where any of us could keep whatever setting worked for us in memory so it didn’t have to be set every time. The 8 options are nice but setting it every time gets old.

In the end (I talked about this in a video somewhere....) I had my tune customized to include the TC so that the default ONE setting was perfect (similar to the FIVE). So default ONE is now the way FIVE felt. Tuner can do that but like I said at the top it’s gonna be different for every car, hence the need for custom tune.

And....it’s still doing great. Just about ready for some new tires!