Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunky, noisy transmission

My clutch was making chattering noises under 6000 miles. It sounds like Ford still is getting bad clutch batches. Sadly, it took me 2 years to get Ford to finally fix my clutch. Hopefully my new one lasts!

You need to take your car in. Make sure they document it from the get go so even if they turn you away and say it's normal, you'll have some ammo for later.

The transmission linkage clunking is common to the platform. I've got a 2014, and it's been doing that since I had around 1000 miles on it. I'm not too worried about it. It's loud and annoying, but just sounds like linkage, cause it doesn't seem based on engine load (at least in my case).

Best of luck with everything!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

My clutch was making chattering noises under 6000 miles. Sounds like Ford still is getting bad clutch batches. Took me 2 years to get Ford to finally fix my clutch. Hopefully my new one lasts. You need to take it in. Make sure they document it from the get go, so even if they turn you away and say it's normal, you'll have some ammo for later.

The transmission linkage clunking is common to the platform. I've got a 2014, and it's been doing that since I had around 1000 miles on it. I'm not too worried about it. It's loud and annoying, but just sounds like linkage, cause it doesnt seem based on engine load (at least in my case)

Best of luck with everything!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
^^^^^^THIS! I think linkage noise is what I'm getting in my 2015 as well. It may have something to do with the axle shafts as several 2016's have had theirs replaced and it seemed to fix the issue. I too do not worry about it. TURN RADIO UP!

[lovest]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'm a 2016 as well with clunky shifts. I'm not as concerned about the shifter noises though since I don't seem to have any problems getting into gear *knock on wood*. I'm a bit concerned about the juddering helicopter rotor sounds the clutch makes at idle. When I press the clutch, the noise disappears. I'm suspecting the throwout bearing, but I've got only 2200 miles on the car, I can't imagine that it could be shot already.
True, that does sound like the throwout bearing. Warranty should cover it though and with miles so low, the sooner you take it in the better.

I know it's tough though, if you are having as much fun driving it as I was when I bought it. I remember making up reasons to go to the store...and then choosing the one further away, lol.

Sent using Tapatalk

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
True, that does sound like the throwout bearing. Warranty should cover it though and with miles so low, the sooner you take it in the better.

I know it's tough though, if you are having as much fun driving it as I was when I bought it. I remember making up reasons to go to the store...and then choosing the one further away, lol.

Sent using Tapatalk
Man, I do that all the time! Take the longer way so I can just be thrown back in my seat! Cars a hoot but it just makes those nasty clunky noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It seems the theories continue to grow. What do we have so far?
  • [*]Axle Shafts
    [*]Engine/Transmission Mounts (not just the RearMotorMount)
    [*]Shift Linkage
    [*]Transmission Fluid (points to the transmission itself)

Did I miss anything ? Perhaps a poll would provide more clarity on what the actual problem/solution may be.

We should also clarify whether the issue occurs during shift and after release of the clutch, or *just* when releasing the clutch.

............. I'm a bit concerned about the juddering helicopter rotor sounds the clutch makes at idle. When I press the clutch, the noise disappears. I'm suspecting the throwout bearing, but I've got only 2200 miles on the car, I can't imagine that it could be shot already.
A little off topic. I've had three clutches including a motorcycle. They've all had an occasional rattle when release. NEVER any squeaks. In ~400k between all of them, (one car having nearly 330k on the original,) have never had a problem with or had to replace a throwout bearing.

My Mustang had some issues with throwout bearings because of a shot clutch fork that wasn't holding the bearing in place, took three bearings out before I figured out what was really wrong. It's a different noise than what I'm hearing now, but the symptom going away upon clutching in is the same. Alternatively, it could be that the clutch disk has a problem. Either way, the noise is not the kind that I can chalk up to tolerances or quirks. I'm taking it to the dealer Wednesday, and worst case scenario, they tell me to suck it up but at least I made note of it, so if something does break loose, I'm covering my ass that I knew it was a problem earlier.

It seems the theories continue to grow. What do we have so far?
  • [*]Axle Shafts
    [*]Engine/Transmission Mounts (not just the RearMotorMount)
    [*]Shift Linkage
    [*]Transmission Fluid (points to the transmission itself)

Did I miss anything ? Perhaps a poll would provide more clarity on what the actual problem/solution may be.

We should also clarify whether the issue occurs during shift and after release of the clutch, or *just* when releasing the clutch.
There is a shifter clunk that is normal when actually shifting the gear selector. I had a shifter clunk with my old car that sounded pretty similar. That's not what I'm worried about.

My sound as well as others that have posted are after the shift, when you let off the clutch pedal and give it some gas *clunk* as if there's something loose somewhere. So it's as a result of shifting, but not the shifting itself. It's normally only at low speeds so sometimes when starting out, 1-2, and 2-3. It can happen in other gear changes, but normally you're going fast enough that it won't clunk in those gears. My theory is that there is slack somewhere in an axle or within the transmission that when you shift at lower speeds you let off the gas and you're coasting you open up the slack in whatever component is the issue. Then when you give it gas again it picks up that slack until it hits again and then *clunk*. If that makes any sense. I know a tiny amount of slack in something can make a bigger noise than the slack it has and it may not be a worry if thicker transmission fluid solves the issue. But at the same time I don't want it to turn into anything bigger and fail after my warranty runs out.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I've had several MT vehicles including a motorcycle and a car that both had near 300k miles. Yet out of all of these, only one had an issue with a throwout bearing and that was my g35 at around 70k miles. It was minor though really and did not affect driving...it was more of an annoyance than anything.

The thicker fluid helped over all noise and smoothness of the transition, but now that you mention it, if I drive slow and change gears at low revs, it is still there although somewhat diminished compared to before which is why I haven't noticed it so much. I chalked it up as reving too low or hi for the speed because if I match revs accurately it does not clunk.

Sent using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Okay it sounds like we have two independent lines of discussion here. So let's work to keep them separate.

One is a noise that occurs when moving the gear selector, while another is a noise that occurs while releasing the clutch pedal and hitting the accelerator.

ISSUE A:
  • Noise occurs when moving the gear selector.

ISSUE B:
  • Noise occurs while releasing the clutch pedal and hitting the accelerator.

I have noticed both issues, however issue A is quite normal for the manual shift vehicles that I've driven, both motorcycle and automobile. I am not concerned about it but can definitely understand that an improvement may occur with a fluid change. Leading on to issue B, it had occurred to me that the fluid may be changed out with the axles, since some of it may spill out in the course of removing them.

Issue B can be quite loud and it's intensity is directly proportional to the amount of accelerator that is being applied during clutch release. Personally speaking, I can reduce the noise by "softening" my engagement; that is, using less accelerator and more clutch on the release; abnormal driving in other words. The noise is not always audible on every driving cycle, even with the same shifting behavior. But once it starts to occur, it is usually though not always, present for the remainder of the driving cycle. The noise can occur regardless of internal or ambient temperatures.

I'd be curious to know whether it is possible to reproduce the noise by slowing down to near 800RPM in 2nd gear then torquing the accelerator... or just using the engine to torque the car around. I recall once hearing a *VERY* loud sound centered from the passenger side foot rest, wheel well area under high-RPM shift-release. Chief suspects for this could be engine mount, could be axle. If it were the transmission I'd expect that the noise would've been centered around the driver-center part of the console.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Okay it sounds like we have two independent lines of discussion here. So let's work to keep them separate.

One is a noise that occurs when moving the gear selector, while another is a noise that occurs while releasing the clutch pedal and hitting the accelerator.

ISSUE A:
  • Noise occurs when moving the gear selector.

ISSUE B:
  • Noise occurs while releasing the clutch pedal and hitting the accelerator.

I have noticed both issues, however issue A is quite normal for the manual shift vehicles that I've driven, both motorcycle and automobile. I am not concerned about it but can definitely understand that an improvement may occur with a fluid change. Leading on to issue B, it had occurred to me that the fluid may be changed out with the axles, since some of it may spill out in the course of removing them.

Issue B can be quite loud and it's intensity is directly proportional to the amount of accelerator that is being applied during clutch release. Personally speaking, I can reduce the noise by "softening" my engagement; that is, using less accelerator and more clutch on the release; abnormal driving in other words. The noise is not always audible on every driving cycle, even with the same shifting behavior. But once it starts to occur, it is usually though not always, present for the remainder of the driving cycle. The noise can occur regardless of internal or ambient temperatures.

I'd be curious to know whether it is possible to reproduce the noise by slowing down to near 800RPM in 2nd gear then torquing the accelerator... or just using the engine to torque the car around. I recall once hearing a *VERY* loud sound centered from the passenger side foot rest, wheel well area under high-RPM shift-release. Chief suspects for this could be engine mount, could be axle. If it were the transmission I'd expect that the noise would've been centered around the driver-center part of the console.
Not talking about the noise when moving the shifter. I don't think anyone is talking about that.

Sent using Tapatalk

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
That's exactly the noise for me , shifter / linkage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flaco

2000 Post Club
I have shifter linkage noise since the car was new. Bugs me sometimes, some days no noise at all ! [?|]

The shifter noise is not a problem, defect, or something to bring the car to the dealer for. If that's you're only complaint with the transmission clunkiness you are good to go. Your transmission is working normally.

I'd be curious to know whether it is possible to reproduce the noise by slowing down to near 800RPM in 2nd gear then torquing the accelerator... or just using the engine to torque the car around.
I don't know if it was linked or not yet, but someone from this forum has recorded some excellent videos of the problem http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6855-Clunk-from-engine-bay-dealer-says-it-s-normal

I plan to show them to my dealership during next visit. I can also induce loud clunks by lifting the front of the car and, while in first gear, just twisting either of the wheels fairly aggressively back and forth.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't know if it was linked or not yet, but someone from this forum has recorded some excellent videos of the problem http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6855-Clunk-from-engine-bay-dealer-says-it-s-normal

I plan to show them to my dealership during next visit. I can also induce loud clunks by lifting the front of the car and, while in first gear, just twisting either of the wheels fairly aggressively back and forth.
Even though my prior vehicle never clunked under any driving circumstance, memory serving, could as you said, jack up the front and get a clunk rotating either wheel back and forth. It had an open differential. Rotating either wheel while in gear, would cause the other wheel to rotate in the opposite direction. Quite normal for it and not indicative of any problem what-so-ever. The differential did have some play in it which was also quite normal. So you could rotate the wheel for a small fraction of a turn, before coming into contact with the differential's gearing.

I just hope it isn't the differential on this transmission... and I'm not sure that anyone has (precisely) targeted this part.