Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunky, noisy transmission

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Many years ago with a different vehicle I had taken it to get a knocking noise diagnosed. The mechanic was great... quickly told me precisely what the problem was, how much it was to fix, answered my questions, told me it wasn't a safety issue. Great experience.

So I returned to have an airbag code read. Again... great experience. Aside from sticking an airbag diagnostic module with a non-serviceable thermal fuse underneath the heater core... nothing to do with the dealership... no complaints.

So I returned again... don't really recall for what. After some time, left the waiting area and started wondering the facility. Busted the mechanic joy-riding around the parking lot in my vehicle, ending with a beautiful hook-slide turn. I would've accepted an apology but this mechanic lied to my face like was born yesterday. He eventually fessed-up after the manager, taking up for his employee, called me a liar.

Returned again chalking it up as "one bad experience with one individual" and "benefit of the doubt" and such... Service Manager recognized me and thankfully warned me.

It isn't just Ford Service centers that create bad experiences though.

If it doesn't involve a welder, paint, or an alignment, I do all of my own work.

My advice is, if you have a great experience with a mechanic, treat them like your barber... do everything you can to get the same guy or gal and tip them.

Many years ago with a different vehicle I had taken it to get a knocking noise diagnosed. The mechanic was great... quickly told me precisely what the problem was, how much it was to fix, answered my questions, told me it wasn't a safety issue. Great experience.

So I returned to have an airbag code read. Again... great experience. Aside from sticking an airbag diagnostic module with a non-serviceable thermal fuse underneath the heater core... nothing to do with the dealership... no complaints.

So I returned again... don't really recall for what. After some time, left the waiting area and started wondering the facility. Busted the mechanic joy-riding around the parking lot in my vehicle, ending with a beautiful hook-slide turn. I would've accepted an apology but this mechanic lied to my face like was born yesterday. He eventually fessed-up after the manager, taking up for his employee, called me a liar.

Returned again chalking it up as "one bad experience with one individual" and "benefit of the doubt" and such... Service Manager recognized me and thankfully warned me.

It isn't just Ford Service centers that create bad experiences though.

If it doesn't involve a welder, paint, or an alignment, I do all of my own work.

My advice is, if you have a great experience with a mechanic, treat them like your barber... do everything you can to get the same guy or gal and tip them.
You are correct! I usually do all my work as well but was trying to avoid diagnosing and fixing the clunk, overheating, and ac issue. So far I did get the ac fixed...time will tell on overheating!?!? They said they replaced a "bypass" module of some sort. I've been so frustrated since picking up the car I haven't even looked at the invoice for work done. I talked to Cobb Plano last week and they said they would be happy to help me when crap goes wrong that I can't fix myself. At least I can trust that those guys know something about the car.

I'm going to write the floor mat thing off as I was going to buy the all weather mats anyway. I think it was just the fact that they didn't seem to care that much that a "Fiesta" had floor mats missing out of it.

Screw em'...lesson learned!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If someone talks to me about a problem with a vehicle and I find out it's been modified, that's the first thing I look to blame; more especially when it's a non-existent or highly unusual problem for vehicles that aren't modified. They will likely do the same thing. To fix any problem, short of a design defect, the solution is to put things back into parameter... back to stock. Said third-party responsible for the changes on the other hand may be defensive about it; presenting a conflict of interest. On the plus side, they will likely have more experience with said problem.

Just got word dealer isn't going to replace my axle shafts. "Normal characteristic of vehicle?!?" is what tech told my advisor. This is one I may go ahead and buy the shafts and replace myself. I think they are $100.00 a piece?!?
I too was told normal characteristic. I wish Ford would get their head out of their ass and look for what fixed this on other ST's.........

I wonder if the fact that the B6 transaxle uses that DCT fluid from the factory (stuff is like water) has any bearing on it. Could Mercon V be better ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I wonder if the fact that the B6 transaxle uses that DCT fluid from the factory (stuff is like water) has any bearing on it. Could Mercon V be better ?
If this is like any other vehicle I'm familiar with, the half-shafts aren't lubricated by transmission fluid. The CV Joints are sealed in boots. Sometimes the boots rip or fail and cause issues with those.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does anyone know IF Ford implements running changes and improvement upgrades to assembly line parts when they discover things like this, or do they just keep right on building them with the problematic parts, thinking they will address the fallout 'after the fact' with TSBs/recalls if absolutely necessary? [dunno]

Do any of the aftermarket companies make upgraded axles (with 300M alloy shafts or better, and much stronger CV joints) for the FiST yet?

I have not screwed with changing mine yet. I'm going to go ahead and start modding, suspension, etc?!? To be honest, the more miles I put on the car...the less this shit bothers me. I'm tired of being OCD! It's a cheap, heavily modded, eco box that is fun as hell to drive. I'll replace these at some point to see if it gets rid of the clunk...just really doesn't bother me anymore.

; )

I have not screwed with changing mine yet. I'm going to go ahead and start modding, suspension, etc?!? To be honest, the more miles I put on the car...the less this shit bothers me. I'm tired of being OCD! It's a cheap, heavily modded, eco box that is fun as hell to drive. I'll replace these at some point to see if it gets rid of the clunk...just really doesn't bother me anymore.

; )
I think this is what I'll be doing with mine as well. I specifically got this car so that I'd have a fun car straight from the factory, that I won't be constantly modding or fixing every slight annoyance. It clunks. It's also smoothly getting into gear and moving out.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Changing the tranny fluid with Motul 300 has helped a lot for me and gear changes are so much smoother now, especially after the break-in period. It didn't solve it entirely, but it has definitely helped enough to take my mind off it now and it is so much smoother that when it does clunk, it doesn't really bother me anymore as much.

Sent using Tapatalk

Try swapping out the RMM (Rear Motor Mount) it is likely the engine slapping against the firewall. I can promise it will solve or help the issue.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Try swapping out the RMM (Rear Motor Mount) it is likely the engine slapping against the firewall. I can promise it will solve or help the issue.
Nope it will not, mine clunks like crazy. It makes me not even want to drive the car

I have a 2016 with less than 1000 miles on the clock and it's been in the shop for about 9 days now for the same issue. Supposedly the axles are going to be replaced, but so far I haven't had any feedback or an eta from my dealer. This is disheartening to say the least!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^When owners are bringing them back to the dealers and having this done under warranty, is the service dept. telling anyone WHAT exactly is the problem?

Is it the axle shaft splines themselves are galled/bent/whatever, or is it the CV joints going bad, retaining clips failing, WHAT?!?!

Nope it will not, mine clunks like crazy. It makes me not even want to drive the car
Very strange. I would be very interested in knowing what is causing that. I assume you are in Metro Vancouver? Which dealer are you using for service/warranty?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Very strange. I would be very interested in knowing what is causing that. I assume you are in Metro Vancouver? Which dealer are you using for service/warranty?
Lol it's me Rick, you bought my stockers:) I go to ocean park but haven't complained about this as it's always a waste of time-.-

^^^When owners are bringing them back to the dealers and having this done under warranty, is the service dept. telling anyone WHAT exactly is the problem?

Is it the axle shaft splines themselves are galled/bent/whatever, or is it the CV joints going bad, retaining clips failing, WHAT?!?!
Negative. I took delivery of the vehicle, then a couple of days later brought it in for some post delivery cosmetic fixes as well as the clunking popping noise. At present I've had very little feedback from my dealer who only said the axles and the shifter were being replaced. It has been very difficult getting details from them. My advisor did mention that a "PCM" or something like that described the issue. Once I've been updated I'll post up further details. I'm incredibly disheartened as I really thought a 2016 model would have had the niggles of the earlier versions worked out. So far the lack of details from my dealer is also unsettling.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Negative. I took delivery of the vehicle, then a couple of days later brought it in for some post delivery cosmetic fixes as well as the clunking popping noise. At present I've had very little feedback from my dealer who only said the axles and the shifter were being replaced. It has been very difficult getting details from them. My advisor did mention that a "PCM" or something like that described the issue. Once I've been updated I'll post up further details. I'm incredibly disheartened as I really thought a 2016 model would have had the niggles of the earlier versions worked out. So far the lack of details from my dealer is also unsettling.
Do you mean (and did the service advisor call it) a TSB, or Technical Service Bulletin for the bolded above??

If so, then I am going to ask about it right at the point of delivery, and let them do this BEFORE I do even the first, most minor mods.

Do you mean (and did the service advisor call it) a TSB, or Technical Service Bulletin for the bolded above??

If so, then I am going to ask about it right at the point of delivery, and let them do this BEFORE I do even the first, most minor mods.
The advisor called it a PCM to the best of my knowledge, either he misquoted or I misheard. I would assume that he was trying to imply that it was indeed a TSB or a soft recall. At this point I feel that I need to get Ford Corporate involved as I've been without my brand new car going on 10 days now. I'm now feeling like a complete fool for entrusting that Ford can make a quality product and provide, I think I may have made a mistake buying this car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I don't blame you for the above thinking, but just so you know, people have bought the "God's gift to the automotive world", 'epitome of perfection', and 'infallibly reliable' Toyotas and Hondas, and had to go through the same exact thing with BRAND SPANKING NEW cars, so I would not trust them EITHER to "provide a quality product" even though that seems to be the ongoing, 'given', popular opinion. [mad] [wink]