Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunky, noisy transmission

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
I didn't read the entire thread but did anyone ever share the part numbers for these "revised cv shafts"? I'm curious because I can only find one part number for each side that covers every FiST and there's been no revisions on them that I can find.

-Steve

TUX15ST

Kinda sounds like service advisor bs if you ask me, most likely the same axles they are trying to pass off as a redesign when they have just gotten bad ones from the factory, probably trying to make the customer feel better.

I didn't read the entire thread but did anyone ever share the part numbers for these "revised cv shafts"? I'm curious because I can only find one part number for each side that covers every FiST and there's been no revisions on them that I can find.

-Steve
C1BZ2B436-A
C1BZ2B437-A

I think those are the part #?!?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yup, same part number used in every FiST built to date. May have fixed your issue but it's not a revised part.

-Steve
If Ford changes or improves a part, but it still serves the same function (for example RMM's which were speculated to have been stiffened up at some point ) does it give the changed part a new part number or continue to use the same one?

The reason I ask is that I was curious about changes to the car so I started this thread-

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

Knowing how part numbers work with regard to changes would help in confirming them. Thanks, it's great to have a Ford parts guy on the forum.

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
If Ford changes or improves a part, but it still serves the same function (for example RMM's which were speculated to have been stiffened up at some point ) does it give the changed part a new part number or continue to use the same one?
Almost without question when a part is revised or improved the part number changes and especially if there's a revision that's made due to a defect or known issue.

Honestly the only part I can think of that was ever changed physically without a part number change was the rear bumper cover used on the 2002-2004 SVT Focus and 2006-2007 Street Appearance hatchback. The original bumper only had mounting holes for the SVT rear bumper grille but down the road they added slots for the SAP rear diffuser to mount and the part number never changed.

I'm sure I've missed some but 20+ years in Ford parts and you do kind of figure out how thins work. :)

-Steve

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thanks, that's helpful to know. I edited my Post #66 right above after you responded to it to add a link to my Mechanical Changes and Improvements thread. A number of the changes were just speculated on. Knowing that a new part # means that a part has changed in some functional way will help in verifying whether a particular part has changed or not.

Anyone have any word on whether the new axles actually solved the problem and if so, what to tell the service people to get it done under warranty?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone have any word on whether the new axles actually solved the problem and if so, what to tell the service people to get it done under warranty?
I had a cluck from the right side - dealership replaced the axle - fixed. Now I have a cluck on the left side. I just explained why I thought it was a CV joint to the head mechanic at the dealership and he shrugged and said, "we'll give it a shot."

I had a cluck from the right side - dealership replaced the axle - fixed. Now I have a cluck on the left side. I just explained why I thought it was a CV joint to the head mechanic at the dealership and he shrugged and said, "we'll give it a shot."
Man, you guys must have some friendly dealerships?!? Mine told me to "get f'd"....then stole my factory FiST floor mats?!?

: )

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Man, you guys must have some friendly dealerships?!? Mine told me to "get f'd"....then stole my factory FiST floor mats?!?

: )
Yes, there are so many where I am. Why let one screw you over when there is another ready to do the right thing without all the stress?

Google/Yelp is your friend. [emoji1]

When I buy I make sure to only buy from those with the good reviews. I have no desire to support the dealerships with a reputation of not backing the products that they sell.

Sent using Tapatalk

Maybe it's placebo, but I feel like my clunking is getting worse. For everyone that's having the issue of clunking after shifting (not during) when you're letting off the clutch and giving it gas at low speeds, what year model do you have. Seems most common for 2016s from what I've been reading, but it could be just that no one else has posted their model year. I have a Sept 2015 built 2016. This is really the only car I drive, but I don't remember any clunking like this on my old car which was also a Ford front wheel drive manual. It's annoying at best, but it seems like there's some major slop somewhere there shouldn't be and it's gotta be in either the CV axles, motor mounts, or transmission. I have a Cobb RMM and I torqued the bolts to spec. I have been under it a couple times since and checked the bolts on the RMM and they are fine. I checked the bolts on the other two mounts and they are good as far as I can tell.

Here's a video I found that shows it's not a shifter issue. It's when you add gas and it picks up the slack somewhere and clunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZViiG1Y7Xo

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Yeah I've done everything I could to make my car smooth and it still shifts like shit, currently @22k Kms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I have not done any RMM mods nor any axles. What worked sufficient for me was changing my tranny fluid to motul 300. The stock tranny fluid was too thin for my tastes. Clunky noises can also be caused by insufficient lubrication. Engines will make more noise (although different because the wear is quite different) when low on oil as well. The fluid helped a lot but it is a little thick. Some people in cold winter climates complained about it but there are also some who liked it also. There are a couple threads about it here.

Mine is a 2015. Bought in 11/2015.

Sent using Tapatalk

my car was clunking too. turned out to be banging around due to loose motor mounts. approx. 1200 miles. both sides.

my car was clunking too. turned out to be banging around due to loose motor mounts. approx. 1200 miles. both sides.
This is interesting?!? Think I'll check mine. I'm pretty sure the B6 is just noisy. I just turn my radio up and fight through it. I've taken it to the dealer twice and both techs said it was normal with this car. I personally think they are full of shit but what do you do? I'll try replacing my axle shafts at some point and change the gear oil but to be honest the car pulls well...just noisy?!?

"Go speed racer...GO..."

[raceflag]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^In Texas, even in the winter, you will be just fine with the Motul Gear 300 when the time comes to change the factory stuff out. [wink] [thumb]

Maybe it's placebo, but I feel like my clunking is getting worse. For everyone that's having the issue of clunking after shifting (not during) when you're letting off the clutch and giving it gas at low speeds, what year model do you have. Seems most common for 2016s from what I've been reading, but it could be just that no one else has posted their model year. I have a Sept 2015 built 2016. This is really the only car I drive, but I don't remember any clunking like this on my old car which was also a Ford front wheel drive manual. It's annoying at best, but it seems like there's some major slop somewhere there shouldn't be and it's gotta be in either the CV axles, motor mounts, or transmission. I have a Cobb RMM and I torqued the bolts to spec. I have been under it a couple times since and checked the bolts on the RMM and they are fine. I checked the bolts on the other two mounts and they are good as far as I can tell.

Here's a video I found that shows it's not a shifter issue. It's when you add gas and it picks up the slack somewhere and clunks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZViiG1Y7Xo
I'm a 2016 as well with clunky shifts. I'm not as concerned about the shifter noises though since I don't seem to have any problems getting into gear *knock on wood*. I'm a bit concerned about the juddering helicopter rotor sounds the clutch makes at idle. When I press the clutch, the noise disappears. I'm suspecting the throwout bearing, but I've got only 2200 miles on the car, I can't imagine that it could be shot already.