Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Review of my filled RMM

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Here is a review that offthewall did on my filled stock RMM. These can be done in 60 or 80 durometer urethane. Group buy thread here http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/9645-Filled-OEM-engine-mounts-group-buy

They are currently on back order, but I'm trying to figure out a way around this!

I just wanted to post my review because I finally was able to install mine today.

The mount itself is quality! I assume it was a brand new or slightly used factory mount. The filling is nice and very well done, not sloppy at all. Install is easy as cake because it is a stock mount, afterall. I noticed upon startup that I wasn't getting that light vibration that I was getting with my Breedt RMM which is solid billet aluminum. Once I started driving, I was amazed at how much it felt like the other mount, but without the vibration or sound reverb from the other mount being a solid piece of metal. There is the tiniest amount of vibration but I'm betting it will break-in very quickly.

Overall this is exactly what I wanted. The feel of a solid RMM when driving and putting down the power but the comfort of stock. This is the best of both worlds for those who want the same thing. I fully support this product and all members that want one should support the community and grab one of these! Thanks to [MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION] for letting me try this for him and allowing me to give my opinion.

Here were some comparison pics of stock vs filled.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
How long are they on back order for ?
ST mounts are on backorder until September. Ordered a regular fiesta RMM to see if it'll fit. They are very very similar in design, so I should have more available soon

PhoenixM3

Frankiefiesta,

I've installed the RMM, but figured I'd do the transmission mount too. Did you ever make the DIY video? Is is just pretty straight forward once I have the battery and tray removed. I look forward to driving this tomorrow. Thanks in advance,

Jeff

This is the kind of option I'm looking for.

Have you tried pressing an aftermarket bushing yet? Is that a service you could offer?[SUB][/SUB]

PhoenixM3

Okay, initial impressions on installing FrankieFiesta's filled RMM and the transmission mount. He and I pm'd a couple of times regarding the shipping and payment of the items and the fact that the upper mount is on back order. Rather than install just the RMM or the transmission mount, and evaluate them individually, I installed both and here is my initial assessment: NVH on the softer of the two (I ordered 60) fills is pretty significant over stock. The FiST wasn't a Lexus to begin with, but I could immediately hear and feel more through the Recaro, pedals, steering wheel, but not too much through the gearshift knob. I haven't been on any spirited runs yet, but look forward to it. Vibration in the lower rev range (1200 - 1500) is a bit annoying - think 2nd gear around a slow corner in town, but is something I can get used to. The whirring, purring, mechanical noises of the engine are more prominent, but not obnoxious. I haven't had the car over 70MPH yet, so I'll update as I get more "stick time" with the new mounts. One thing I immediately noticed was the steering feel transmitted more steady state feedback of the road surface. Another was the "yo-yo-ing" of the drivetrain is gone, which is good. The firmer feel and slightly more connected feel I have with the car is a decent tradeoff for the increase in NVH. I was told that some break in may occur within a couple weeks which is good too. To me, bottom line, an improvement for the money which gives the car a little more "buzzy" feel which gives it a little more edgy racy attitude. More later. Ciao!

Ok, here's the more part. Yeah, the AC on at low speeds (think parking lot) causes a fair amount of shudder, especially in reverse gear. I did get a chance to wind the car out in the first 3 gears, and had a significant chirp in 3rd. My guess is the the tighter mounts allow for the power to get put down more immediately after clutch engagement, which is cool. Driving around town in the first two gears, you'll notice the increased NVH, but other than that it is barely noticeable at speeds higher than about 35-40MPH.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Frankiefiesta,

I've installed the RMM, but figured I'd do the transmission mount too. Did you ever make the DIY video? Is is just pretty straight forward once I have the battery and tray removed. I look forward to driving this tomorrow. Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Sorry Jeff, I missed this post. I never made the video, but I'm sure you figured out its very straight forward. Give the mounts a week or two, they will break in. I do however still get that vibration at 1700 RPM's. Only there though lol. If you have any questions or concerns please PM me :)

This is the kind of option I'm looking for.

Have you tried pressing an aftermarket bushing yet? Is that a service you could offer?[SUB][/SUB]
Bushing into the RMM? I'm actually working on this. The other two mounts would be difficult to have a pressed in bushing. Could work for the trans mount, but the passenger side is filled with oil and baffles, so not do able there

Bushing into the RMM? I'm actually working on this. The other two mounts would be difficult to have a pressed in bushing. Could work for the trans mount, but the passenger side is filled with oil and baffles, so not do able there
Yea into the RMM. I'm interested to see the difference between all 3 options.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Yea into the RMM. I'm interested to see the difference between all 3 options.
Selling an insert for the RMM is tricky. I burn out the rubber from the oem mount with a torch. It can also be cut out, but it's honestly a pain in the ass to do. Not sure if anyone would want to go through the trouble of doing that, which is why I've been concentrating on selling them as a whole replacement.

Selling an insert for the RMM is tricky. I burn out the rubber from the oem mount with a torch. It can also be cut out, but it's honestly a pain in the ass to do. Not sure if anyone would want to go through the trouble of doing that, which is why I've been concentrating on selling them as a whole replacement.
I ask because Powerflex (and maybe others too) offers an "insert" RMM bushing http://www.modbargains.com/ford-fiesta-st-rear-motor-mount-kit-powerflex.htm. So to install this the OEM bushing needs to be burned out? I admittedly know nothing about the RMM and haven't even held it in my hand, but I know that burning out bushings with a torch is nasty work.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I ask because Powerflex (and maybe others too) offers an "insert" RMM bushing http://www.modbargains.com/ford-fiesta-st-rear-motor-mount-kit-powerflex.htm. So to install this the OEM bushing needs to be burned out? I admittedly know nothing about the RMM and haven't even held it in my hand, but I know that burning out bushings with a torch is nasty work.
Yeah I'm aware of their bushing. I've tried pushing out the rubber on the stock RMM with no luck. I just burn it. Less time and it's easier :)

JasonHaven

Yeah I'm aware of their bushing. I've tried pushing out the rubber on the stock RMM with no luck. I just burn it. Less time and it's easier :)
I vaguely remember some members talking about how the 2014(?) had an RMM where the rubber could be pushed out, but 2015s and beyond the rubber was glued in or something. Not sure if that helps.

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I vaguely remember some members talking about how the 2014(?) had an RMM where the rubber could be pushed out, but 2015s and beyond the rubber was glued in or something. Not sure if that helps.
It does! Thanks for the info. All the ones I've dealt with are definitely glued in

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Hey im interested in a 60a mount, are they in stock yet, Also wondering how yours would compare to say cobb or mountune as far as vibs?
Two mount in 60a going to local FiST owners next week.

I think it's just as smooth as a Cobb or mountune. I'll have a few more reviews next week and you can make your decision

OP
frankiefiesta

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
ok great id like a 60a whenever you have them next, how does the buying process work?
Since you're in NJ we could meet up halfway on the GSP one day. I can order a mount and have it filled for you in 2 weeks. Feel free to PM me for my contact info. Texting or calling is easier

TUX15ST

Since you're in NJ we could meet up halfway on the GSP one day. I can order a mount and have it filled for you in 2 weeks. Feel free to PM me for my contact info. Texting or calling is easier
Oh wow i didnt realize you are in NJ also lol, I used to work at the autozone in lanoka harbor haha