Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALL GUIDE: European headlight installation with LED headlight bulbs and LED running light wiring

I sent out a request about a week ago, haven't heard anything back from FordPartsUK. Not sure if I just got lost in the shuffle, or if they were just like 'oh hell no, another one of them Murican's wants us to super bubble wrap some headlights across the pond to them' lol :)

-Matt

I just used the parts request form on the website, put in detailed info including parts numbers, my VIN, and all of the info for contact. Never heard anything back.

-Matt

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #146
For some people they received an invoice overnight, but it took me a few weeks.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #151
If you are brave and want to get some color in your projector, you can do what this guy (looks like) he did and paint the cutoff shield any color of your choice.

I'm so glad I found this post! Going to order the headlights soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #154
Installed my HIDs today, pretty clean install of the relay harness by hiding most of it under the headlights. The new bulbs fit in well and seem secure. They fit flush and I pulled the bulb in almost all directions and no movement. The bulbs have the tab on both sides so you can install in modified and non-modified needed applications, it's actually pretty brilliant. Like I mentioned, the bulbs need to be installed where the ground wire is in the 6 o'clock position. It's been a hot, very bright day today so no way to look at cutoff or output right now but I've confirmed the HIDs do work and the color looks nice, I went with 4300k bulbs.

The ballasts, at least the ones I got, definitely won't fit in the headlights so they are out but tucked away nicely. Two small holes will need to be cut out of the boot to feed the wires out for the bulbs.

Before the HID kit haters jump in about the wedge of light above the cutoff in that video - many projector assemblies are DESIGNED to throw at least some light above the cutoff to aid in seeing street signs and to keep the eye's transition from the main beam to above the cutoff from being too abrupt. I have seen people who have chased the "no light above the cutoff" religion only to regret the fact that while they can see the area within the main beam fine, they feel they are travelling in deep space because they can see nothing else down a dark road at speed. Hilly roads also present a problem with zero light above the cutoff. A little is fine. A lot is not. None is not fine either.

Here is a photo of how Toyota specifically put small holes in the cutoff shield for the purpose of lighting up signs. They would project light upwards at such an angle that oncoming traffic would never be impacted:

The hole in question.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #158
Many OEM projectors have "squirrel finders" which allows light bleed out higher in the beam pattern to make viewing road signs easier. I think the output looks great.

Chris G

Looks good! Did you snap any pics of your ballast + wire job for the HIDs? Curious how much excess wire there is now with the new setup.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #160
I'm still working on the wiring for the bulbs that goes through the boot. I will post pics when it's all complete.