Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALL GUIDE: European headlight installation with LED headlight bulbs and LED running light wiring

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
The time is finally here! After a week of waiting and a few hours of dabbling I have finished my European headlight installation. For those wondering why anyone would do this, the European Fiesta headlights have halogen projectors as well as an LED strip on the bottom that just look awesome! The output from the headlights compared to the USDM is also significantly more because of the low beam projector.

The part numbers of the headlights assemblies you will need. Make sure they are these German LHD projector pattern lights otherwise you will regret it.

- 2014 Fiesta-Projector Headlamp Assy With LED RH (LHD) Part Number: 1895781
- 2014 Fiesta-Projector Headlamp Assy With LED LH (LHD) Part Number: 1895784

You can try contacting Wendy from "FordPartsUK" to receive an invoice to purchase. My total purchase price was just under $600. wendy.doyle@fmg-uk.com
(note: they only accept PayPal or bank transfer only for International purchases)

These lights use an H7 halogen projector. Instead of using the factory halogen bulb, I opted to go with the Morimoto 2Stroke LED headlights. You can find the kit at TheRetrofitSource here:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/2stroke-h7-led.html

On to the install.

Stock vs Euro

Removal of the low beam bulb boot reveals the projector

2Stroke LED bulb adapter installed

Bulb fits perfectly with no issues of touching

Light installed on passenger side

Testing out the LED low beams

Euro vs OEM

Tease of the projector output, keep in mind this was taken in daylight FWIW

The "ballast" will have to stay outside the headlight because there isn't enough room to squeeze it inside the housing like factory lights. I created a small slit in the boot to allow the wiring to come out. Don't mind the tape, this is only a temporary solution

Drivers side housing installed

Drives side ballast tucked away nicely

Testing output of both LED low beams. Again, this is daylight so take it for what it's worth. Very sharp, nice clean cutoff. Impressive for halogen projectors

View of both lights

Gratuitous "glare" shot

Now that the lights are installed, we need to get to the LED strip wiring. There are many ways you can do this, this is only one of the many. I wanted to go the simplest way possible without cutting factory wiring or adding additional wiring and relays. I opted to go the route another member suggested where you move one (1) positive wire in the connector to a different slot. I will explain this down below. This method will allow the LED strip to be on when the running lights are on. You may want to wire it a different way.

To start, I highly recommend a pick set to help take apart the connectors and to de-pin the wires necessary. These save you a lot of time and frustration

Remove the factory connector from the headlight assembly

First we need to remove the "white" portion of the connector. There are two slots in the connector to slide a pick tool into to pry the plastic piece out. Be gentle and slowly pry until it starts to lift up. Then follow all around

Follow all around and gently pry until you get it fully out

Stock wiring configuration (on both sides)

Next, we want to remove the bottom part of the connector which contains pins you need to remove so you can move the one wire. Again, use the pry tool. There is a slot on each side to slide the tool into. Gently and slowly wiggle it down to expose the pins

After pulling it down. You will need to remove one of the black tabs for the slot you will be relocating the wire too. It's very easy, use the pick tool to press it out from the backside and make sure the slot is fully open with no plastic from the blocking tab remaining

Now, here is the diagram of which wire you need to move and where. This applies to both sides as the wiring layout is identical. I had read a previous guide that shows wiring colors, but mine were completely different. Yours may be too, so I'm just going by wiring position rather than specific colors. Plus the wire colors were different on both sides that needed to be moved.

To move the wire, use the pin tool and pry the lower snap that is holding the wire outward, use your other hand to press the wire down and pull it out of the connector

After putting it in the new slot

Put the connector back together, make sure the top white plastic connector piece makes it way back in smoothly, it aligns the wires in the correct slots.

Testing the newly wired connector, it works!

And successfully finished!

Final walkaround and video showing the function of the headlights
[video=youtube;uGGblHYU630]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGblHYU630&[/video]

Some useful posts for those who don't want to scroll through 50+ pages

Best halogen bulbs - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...g-light-wiring?p=185033&viewfull=1#post185033

Upgrading to HIDs - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...g-light-wiring?p=214040&viewfull=1#post214040

Guide to aiming - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...g-light-wiring?p=215737&viewfull=1#post215737

Last edited:
Nice write up! I really wish those were available with black accents instead of chrome, however.

I'll reserve final judgement for better nighttime shots, but I think you're going to need to adjust the bulbs a bit, from what I see the driver's side hotspot is wayyyyyy off to the left. It should be directly below the _/ in the pattern. The passenger side looks a bit low, too. Again it could just be the daylight messing with the photo but I'm looking forward to some night shots.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Nice write up! I really wish those were available with black accents instead of chrome, however.

I'll reserve final judgement for better nighttime shots, but I think you're going to need to adjust the bulbs a bit, from what I see the driver's side hotspot is wayyyyyy off to the left. It should be directly below the _/ in the pattern. The passenger side looks a bit low, too. Again it could just be the daylight messing with the photo but I'm looking forward to some night shots.
I was thinking that too. I may need to tweak it a little bit, hard to tell without seeing them at night. And worst comes to worst if it doesn't work I can go back to halogens. There wasn't any modifying needed this time around compared to the factory housings to make the LEDs work.

fST

Oh mine are leveled bad. I haven't aimed them yet but will do tonight or sometime this weekend.

Thank you so much for this write up man. It was that back side of the connector that needs to be taken off that tripped me up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
An unintended but awesome result of the way the LEDs are wired.

[video=youtube;olmCzX2AK8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmCzX2AK8E[/video]

fST

Some preliminary pics...

With headlights and foglights on:

Keep in mind, I did not buy LED bulbs like offthewall did. These are the stock Euro halogens that come with these headlights.

Parking lights and fogs on:

Pretty cool that since the DRLs are now the parking lights, they come on when unlocking the car and/or when the car is off and you open the doors. They stay on for probably 30 seconds then turn off. They're VERY bright!

I still need to aim the headlights. My passenger low beam is way higher than my driver low beam.

Some preliminary pics...

With headlights and foglights on:

Keep in mind, I did not buy LED bulbs like offthewall did. These are the stock Euro halogens that come with these headlights.

Parking lights and fogs on:

Pretty cool that since the DRLs are now the parking lights, they come on when unlocking the car and/or when the car is off and you open the doors. They stay on for probably 30 seconds then turn off. They're VERY bright!

I still need to aim the headlights. My passenger low beam is way higher than my driver low beam.
How do you find the beam pattern/overall brightness using the H7's vs the H11's from our OE lamps? Considering this as a future mod. Both your guy's installs look awesome!

Edit: Also wanted to ask, do the euro lamps come with both vertical and horizontal adjustment, or just vertical like the US spec ones?

-Matt

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Output pic. Look at that cutoff!

Jk, that's just the LED strips.

The car is a few feet from the garage so doesn't help much but gives you an idea.

Looks great! The stock headlights really need help... they are quite dim. I love the way the DRL looks on yours.

Could you please post vendor website (link) for the two headlight assemblies? Total cost for everything??

What would be your permanent solution for the ballast?

Good write-up. You've got some work to do on the driver's side. Is there any adjustment available for the LED assemblies? In or out? Rotating them? Anything?

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I need to play with it more, the bulb might not be completely flush.

I'm going to mess around with it a little more after work today and then get some output shots tonight.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A suggestion with the covers on the back....you could buy some more of the headlamp covers and extending them by putting them together? I'd try it just to fit the LEDs without the tape on them like in the picture. Food for thought.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Well the problem is that the boots I had on my factory headlights, the 90mm "retrofit" boots that extend out were too large.

It looks like the Euro lights use 80mm boots, so I placed an order for them and they should be here Monday. The tape was to simply keep moisture from getting in during the mean time.