Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LED Turn Signal Resistors

So over the 4th of July weekend, when everyone was running a sale, I picked up the remaining bulbs I needed to swap the turns to LED bulbs. I had read somewhere that if replacing all four turn signal bulbs with LEDs, you only need resistors on the back and that will be enough to prevent hyper blinking. Question is, where the hell do you mount the resistors? There's hardly any room to mount them directly to metal.

I searched but couldn't come up with squat on this, no pictures or anything.

So over the 4th of July weekend, when everyone was running a sale, I picked up the remaining bulbs I needed to swap the turns to LED bulbs. I had read somewhere that if replacing all four turn signal bulbs with LEDs, you only need resistors on the back and that will be enough to prevent hyper blinking. Question is, where the hell do you mount the resistors? There's hardly any room to mount them directly to metal.

I searched but couldn't come up with squat on this, no pictures or anything.
I'm assuming it's too late to help you, but thought I'd add a picture to help others in the future. They fit great and stay away from the wire harness right here.

I also had no luck with 3 ohm resistors to handle everything. Had to do 6 ohm resistors front and back.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for that. I've been driving around hyperblinking all over the place. At some point I planned on going at it and figuring it out but that picture helps out alot. Thanks!

Thanks for that. I've been driving around hyperblinking all over the place. At some point I planned on going at it and figuring it out but that picture helps out alot. Thanks!
I'll pull my tail lights off next weekend and double check that the heat from the resistors isn't melting anything. I drive 500+ miles a week, so it should be a good test.

Thanks for the pix! Do you happen to know which wires to tap the resistor to? Any close up pix of that?

I'm assuming it's too late to help you, but thought I'd add a picture to help others in the future. They fit great and stay away from the wire harness right here.

I also had no luck with 3 ohm resistors to handle everything. Had to do 6 ohm resistors front and back.

Thanks for the pix! Do you happen to know which wires to tap the resistor to? Any close up pix of that?
I didn't take any close up pics at the time, but for both sides, the orange wire is the positive, and black is the negative, so just splice the resistor from orange to black.

Oops, sorry, I meant the front turn signals. The back was pretty straightforward.

I didn't take any close up pics at the time, but for both sides, the orange wire is the positive, and black is the negative, so just splice the resistor from orange to black.

How's it look? Much brighter?
Much, much brighter. But that depends on the bulbs. I broke down and ponied up for the best Diode Dynamics offers. The tail lights in running light mode are brighter than stock bulbs when the brakes are on. They're bright!!

Similar results with all the others.

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
Much, much brighter. But that depends on the bulbs. I broke down and ponied up for the best Diode Dynamics offers. The tail lights in running light mode are brighter than stock bulbs when the brakes are on. They're bright!!

I opted for the middle of the pack DD bulbs for the turns, and I bought another pair from Super Bright LEDs for whichever set they looked best in.

The DD bulbs and SBLED looked identical in the rears, but the DDs were much brighter up front, so that's what I went with. I couldn't justify 120 on bulbs so the SBLEDs were about 25 for the pair.

I used the red rocket bulbs that TRS sells for the brakes, and also their 921 for reverse. All of them are ridiculously Bright compared to filament bulbs.

I opted for the middle of the pack DD bulbs for the turns, and I bought another pair from Super Bright LEDs for whichever set they looked best in.

The DD bulbs and SBLED looked identical in the rears, but the DDs were much brighter up front, so that's what I went with. I couldn't justify 120 on bulbs so the SBLEDs were about 25 for the pair.

I used the red rocket bulbs that TRS sells for the brakes, and also their 921 for reverse. All of them are ridiculously Bright compared to filament bulbs.
If I could rewind time, I'd still get the XP80's for the brakes, and save the money and do the step down for the turn signals. The XP80's are overkill in the turns. I love the brightness for the brakes though.

Diode is a very popular order we get, no surprise they are doing their job!

Hello [MENTION=5122]OCS12[/MENTION] - do you still have the picture of this deleted image? I'd like to know where you mounted the resistors in the rear and the heat affected any of the nearby plastic taillight housing? Thanks.