Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1-2 shift almost always clunky.

Recently traded in my 3 banger fiesta for a used ST.

Car runs great. However, the 1-2 shift is always very clunky unless I ride the clutch a good bit and give it more gas than I need to for any other gears.

Is this just me being a shitty driver, is it rear motor mount, is my transmission messed up, or is this just a thing in the ST?

I've got 6k/5 months left on 3/36 fwiw. Taking it in monday to have a super shaky side mirror fixed.

Thanks!

A Cobb or other aftermarket rear mount will make a huge difference in shift quality

me32

1000 Post Club
The mount has a lot to do with it because the engine moves under acceleration.

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Alright, thanks. I was hoping/thought that was the answer.

me32

1000 Post Club
Alright, thanks. I was hoping/thought that was the answer.
There are a good amount of option if you choose to change it. I still have my stock mount on with 60k miles. No issues, tranny shifts fine, just need to make sure the clutch is pressed all the way.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Clutch fully depressed. Clunk is on release/catch.

There are a good amount of option if you choose to change it. I still have my stock mount on with 60k miles. No issues, tranny shifts fine, just need to make sure the clutch is pressed all the way.

me32

1000 Post Club
Clutch fully depressed. Clunk is on release/catch.
Correct still the mount thats part of the problem. Mine does it too but i dont consider an issue because it doesn't effect the reliability of the car. Tranny still shifts fine

Zormecteon

I've found the step from 1st to 2nd is rather large and I have to wait longer for the revs to fall before letting out the clutch on that shift than the gears.. Watch your tach and see if you're letting out too soon? (the car has shift assist, in that as the revs fall, they will hesitate at the proper point for engaging the clutch.)

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
Huh, that may be it. When I'm "riding the clutch" on that shift it is smoother, but I'm also taking long. Thanks for the tip.

I've found the step from 1st to 2nd is rather large and I have to wait longer for the revs to fall before letting out the clutch on that shift than the gears.. Watch your tach and see if you're letting out too soon? (the car has shift assist, in that as the revs fall, they will hesitate at the proper point for engaging the clutch.)

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
Consciously let the revs drop on 1-2 today, no more clunk. Makes me really think motor mount would help. thanks for the tip!

Consciously let the revs drop on 1-2 today, no more clunk. Makes me really think motor mount would help. thanks for the tip!
Motor mount does nothing for this clunk. Only high rpm shifts really. I bought it for this reason but it didn't sort it out.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

What boombots said. The 1-2 shift is just clunky on this car because of the gap in ratio and heavy dual mass flywheel. If you want it to be smooth, you gotta take it easy letting out the clutch and getting back on the gas. The RMM may help slightly during daily driving, but it is more to keep the mount from bottoming out on quick shifts at high RPM.

Zormecteon

For me, the result of the RMM was that under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, the car no longer "scrabbles", that is looking for traction first on one side then the other. It's just more planted. Shifting is of course crisper, but the torque steer is what seems better controlled. It's worth every penny.

OP
L
Thread Starter #14
Had my car up on a lift for the first time a couple days ago.

Turns out I've already got a Cobb RMM installed (bought my car used.)

I've never dealt with real torque steer or scrabbling.

All good to know, thanks!

For me, lubricating with silicone lubricant and tightening the bolts of the passenger side motor mount made the clunks go away.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The last reply in this thread was from nearly 1.5 years ago. But the description from Larcat sounds like the clack that a lot of folks have noticed. There's just a lot of slack in the drivetrain. Some have quieted the noise with trans fluid replacement, some with axle replacement. If you have both wheels off the ground, engine off, trans in-gear, and you move the wheels back in forth, that sound of the gears hitting is a quieter version of the same clack sound that you get on the 1 to 2 engagement, as you load the trans on clutch release. 2nd gear engagement is typically much harsher than other gears because the ratio jump is much more significant. (harder to rev-match)