Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

224/45/15 or 205/50/15?

Getting my Pro Race 15x8's w/35mm offset this weekend and need to buy some tires. I've read every thread on the subject and still can't find out if a 225/45/15 will clear when lowered 1" all around. Specifically looking at the Hankook RS-3 Version 2. It's 8" tread width, 8.9" section width, and 23" diameter. If those won't fit, what 205/50 has the least amount of road noise? I do 20miles highway to work and back during the week. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Waterfan

Not from personal experience, but just reading the forums: 225/45 on 15x8 ET35 will clear when lowered 1". (@rodmoe has or had this setup maybe?)

Almost anything all-season will be quieter (harder compound) than any "summer" tire. My wife has 195/55-15 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 (all season UTQG 500) on her Acura and they are whisper quiet (not a recommendation, just my personal experience)

I think your lighter 15" wheels and larger sidewalls will make any tire quieter than the low profile 17" OEMS. My 205/45-16 BFG SC2 (UTQG 340) on 16x7 were initially noisy but now I don't hear them at all (after ~500 miles). Not NOISY, but I could hear them with the radio off. A think a good amount of tire pressure will help noise a little too (I like 42/39 on my 205/45-16s)

Maybe the Direzza D102 are a good middle ground? UTQG 460. Also CHEAP and light (19lbs)

ZII Star Specs are VERY popular as well. I've not heard a single bad thing about them. (My top choice when I was debating between 16 or 15" wheels)

(@RAAMaudio for an even more experienced recommendation)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF going to a 15 x 8, and wanting to use a 225/45 tire, are there ANY other decent (sticky, but more 'streetable' pure summer, MAX performance) options besides the ever popular Rival Ses??

I LOVE the tire, but I am starting to hear that it actually IS like one of the 80 tread wear 'factory R compound' donuts (Pilot Sport Cup 2/Trofeo R), and NOT very '200 tread wear rating like' as far as; tread wear (3000 miles IF you are lucky, even on a light car), and stickiness (they will pick up EVERY little piece of shrapnel, flatting them often).

Too bad they don't still make the harder compounded, NON S, Rival. :(

I run the same wheels you are getting, pro race 1.2s 15x8 and I am running bf goodrich sport comp 2's max performance summer tire. They are amazing. 195/55/15 I love the look and the ride is even better. sticky as all hell, cant break them loose at all my cyborg turboed fiesta.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I run the same wheels you are getting, pro race 1.2s 15x8 and I am running bf goodrich sport comp 2's max performance summer tire. They are amazing. 195/55/15 I love the look and the ride is even better. sticky as all hell, cant break them loose at all my cyborg turboed fiesta.
Isn't that a bit too much wheel width for that size tire??

They must be stretched like a 'stancer' set up, no?

I used to run the Comp 2s in a 255/50-16 size on an 8" wide wheel on the street in my 4th gen f body.
They were decent to impressive tires (grip wise) for their tread wear rating, but, they cannot be as sticky as the 220 and under tread wear donuts out there.

OP
NJBooST
Thread Starter #8
[MENTION=2554]15performanceblue[/MENTION] Do you have any pics?? I'm in between getting 15x8's or going with 15x7.

OP
NJBooST
Thread Starter #9
The BFG Comp 2's in 195/55 have a wider tread width than most 205's and an 8" cross section. A lot of Miata guys run that setup and it doesn't really look stretched at all.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The BFG Comp 2's in 195/55 have a wider tread width than most 205's and an 8" cross section. A lot of Miata guys run that setup and it doesn't really look stretched at all.
OK, I can see that being the case.

My 255/50s seemed to have a VERY wide section width, but not an exceptionally wide tread width. [:(]

I do. I will have to upload them later. I don't have them on my work computer.
Sorry bud. But they look good. And they look mean as hell and wide. I love them
I found them for $360 mounted and balanced and will hopefully have them installed on Saturday if the wheels deliver on time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NJBooST
Thread Starter #13
I do. I will have to upload them later. I don't have them on my work computer.
Sorry bud. But they look good. And they look mean as hell and wide. I love them
If you can upload them later, I'd really like to see how they look.

Waterfan

Isn't that a bit too much wheel width for that size tire??

They must be stretched like a 'stancer' set up, no?

I used to run the Comp 2s in a 255/50-16 size on an 8" wide wheel on the street in my 4th gen f body.
They were decent to impressive tires (grip wise) for their tread wear rating, but, they cannot be as sticky as the 220 and under tread wear donuts out there.
My 205/45-16 are ever so slightly "fatter" than square on 16x7". I can see 195/55-15 on 15x7" being slightly stretched (optimal). Apples and Oranges (16 vs 15)

Looks like a perfect fit to me. Looks awesome too. Would be interested to hear what you think of this setup if you have a chance...
Thanks [MENTION=1507]Waterfan[/MENTION]. I personally love the way it looks and feels on the road. It is not nearly as soft as I thought it would be (I'm glad it isn't by the way) but it is noticeably a better ride over bumps and expansion joints on the freeway. This set up removed so much weight I can actually feel it in the steering. I haven't ripped into a turn yet but the traction is way better than my stock tires ever were putting power down in 2nd gear. I only have 45 miles on them so far but I'm headed to the mountains This weekend so I'll report back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk