Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating Issues for Fiesta ST

I have overheated my Fiesta ST twice in the last month and am now taking it in under warranty. Model year is 2014 and is 100% stock with no tunes or anything running on it. I am more posting this for anyone else with the issue to look at and either learn from or chime in with their own solutions. I know that in both circumstances, I was behaving in a way that is not ideal for temperature management, but given that they are newer performance oriented cars this shouldn't be as big an issue as it is.

I care for this vehicle constantly, I clean it for about 8 hours a week, change the oil every 10K km's and clean the air intake filter every month. I don't abuse it or track it or anything like that. I have had it for about 2.5 years and have not changed my driving habits or routes during this time.

Overheat 1:
Quickly (shifting at 5K RPM) accelerating up a hill in about 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit), vehicle overheated slightly and I slowed down to allow it to cool. This overheat wasn't that severe, just sudden lack of acceleration and temp gauge all the way to "H". No alarm or warning light.

Overheat 2:
Stop and go traffic in about 28 Celsius (84 Fahrenheit), I admit that air con. was on full and that I was using the engine to slow the vehicle by downshifting or just keeping it in 2nd or 3rd rather than using the brakes to slow and manage speed. Limp mode was engaged.

I noticed simultaneously that there was a sudden lack of power, the red temperature light was on, the gauge was all the way to "H" and the alarm had started to chime. I pulled over, turned off the AC, opened the hood and kept the vehicle running (for the electric fan, which was running). Temperature quickly returned to normal and for the rest of the hour's drive home it was never past the 50% mark on the temp gauge. Limp mode was engaged.

I am taking the vehicle in, out of an abundance of caution, to a Ford dealer for service. I will update this thread on what is done (if anything) so that others can learn. If anyone else can chime in, that would be great! If anyone can give me an accurate estimate if I should be concerned about damage to the turbocharger due to the heat, that would be great too!

Thanks,

OP
KentRatke
Thread Starter #4
So, I took it into the dealer as a warranty claim. They could not find any fault codes or visible issues with the engine. They were hesitant to take it apart or delve deeper.

I've been driving it (fairly hard at times) for the last two weeks and have had no more issues. I will post if the issue happens again.

I bought the MR230 pack, should be interesting if the increased airflow/exhaust flow and the larger inter-cooler will help.

Mine has overheated 3 times. The first it was stock, second was cobb stage 3, 3rd x37. I've ordered a mishimoto radiator and the big DHM FMIC. If it over heats after test next mods I'm most likely going to sell it. The third time it overheated I had my wife and two children in the car...90 degree heat. This is a new car and should not be doing this even with the mods.

My car is a 2014 also. I know the 2016 had a relay problem but nothing for the 2014.

PhoenixM3

Mine gave the "high coolant" alarm last weekend for the first time. Second consecutive lap at the Nurburgring, with not a lot of time to cool down in between runs. To be fair, we had luggage, two people in the car, and were driving it pretty damn hard. I'll look into some upgrades after I've done some poking around.

Hmm. Mine a 15 and I've never had a issue..... I think I drive the shit out of my car here in Florida summer where it's 95?-99? everyday

Mine has overheated 3 times. The first it was stock, second was cobb stage 3, 3rd x37. I've ordered a mishimoto radiator and the big DHM FMIC. If it over heats after test next mods I'm most likely going to sell it. The third time it overheated I had my wife and two children in the car...90 degree heat. This is a new car and should not be doing this even with the mods.

My car is a 2014 also. I know the 2016 had a relay problem but nothing for the 2014.
This is probably the route I'm going to take. Basically looking at 2 grand for this. It freaking better work. I've been told the mishi thermostat without the mishi radiator might take care of it. But is it worth the risk of having to tear into the car again if it doesn't. Blows that Ford screwed the pooch on this wimpy cooling they gave this car. Good luck and let us know how the install and results work out.

This is probably the route I'm going to take. Basically looking at 2 grand for this. It freaking better work. I've been told the mishi thermostat without the mishi radiator might take care of it. But is it worth the risk of having to tear into the car again if it doesn't. Blows that Ford screwed the pooch on this wimpy cooling they gave this car. Good luck and let us know how the install and results work out.
I'll keep you posted. Should be installed by next friday. Supposedly it's supposed to lower temps by 10 degrees. I also purchased the thermostat. We will see.

I was frustrated with mine as well since reliability is number one for me. I went with the Mishimoto radiator only and coolant temps have been a night a day difference from before. I've tried to get it to overheat and the temps here have been around 107*. I've said it before that overheating issues with these cars are hit and miss. Either way, I'm 99.999% sure the radiator will solve your problem. If you've replaced your own intercooler, you'll have no problem replacing the radiator.

My 14 FiST overheats almost daily when temps are above 105 here in phoenix... I've been logging carefully and trying to figure out exactly whats happening. Only started overheating when I went front stage 3 cobb tune over to Statified e30 tune and installed downpipe at the same time. I thought o.k. maybe downpipe without heat shielding is causing it, so I wrapped the downpipe and it didn't change anything. Then I thought it was the tune, so I went back to regular 91 fuel and back to cobb OTS, No change still gets to 238 degrees on the Coolant temp as monitored by the AP just driving normally in city or idling for extended time. I have the MAPerformance Intercooler which is pretty beefy and takes up some cooling capabilities I'm sure, but I never had any kind of overheating issues after I put that on and for a couple weeks until I did the downpipe/e30 tune.

Now it is Arizona and we have been at 105-115 for the past month... But I am just normal city driving. Even on the highway it gets to 225-230 sometimes. The part that annoys me though is If I do a short pull in 2nd or 3rd the cooling temp rises instantly sometimes as much as 10-15 degrees which almost makes me think I've got a headgasket problem I have seen that a lot with minor headgasket leaks, But I havent really been losing coolant and if the temp dives below 100 (like at night) my coolant temp never gets above 205 even with repeated pulls.

I am strongly considering doing a lower set temp thermostat and a radiator. Mishimoto seems to be the only option which sucks because I think its very expensive, most cars you can get performance radiator that fits factory shroud for 250-300$. It's like twice as much the price of what mishimoto wants for the wrx radiators they sell (285$)

To the OP I think the dealer will have a very difficult time trying to mimic the problems your having because they test drive they normally will do is never more than a few miles long, and usually the car sits for a little bit before they will get to it.

I've had the same problem the last few weeks going up hills and in traffic in LA heat. total bullsh*** that this happens on a brand new car. dealer excuse was 1.6t engines run hot and i defintely think it's bullsh*** that we have to buy aftermarket parts to fix factory problems

My 14 FiST overheats almost daily when temps are above 105 here in phoenix... I've been logging carefully and trying to figure out exactly whats happening. Only started overheating when I went front stage 3 cobb tune over to Statified e30 tune and installed downpipe at the same time. I thought o.k. maybe downpipe without heat shielding is causing it, so I wrapped the downpipe and it didn't change anything. Then I thought it was the tune, so I went back to regular 91 fuel and back to cobb OTS, No change still gets to 238 degrees on the Coolant temp as monitored by the AP just driving normally in city or idling for extended time. I have the MAPerformance Intercooler which is pretty beefy and takes up some cooling capabilities I'm sure, but I never had any kind of overheating issues after I put that on and for a couple weeks until I did the downpipe/e30 tune.

Now it is Arizona and we have been at 105-115 for the past month... But I am just normal city driving. Even on the highway it gets to 225-230 sometimes. The part that annoys me though is If I do a short pull in 2nd or 3rd the cooling temp rises instantly sometimes as much as 10-15 degrees which almost makes me think I've got a headgasket problem I have seen that a lot with minor headgasket leaks, But I havent really been losing coolant and if the temp dives below 100 (like at night) my coolant temp never gets above 205 even with repeated pulls.

I am strongly considering doing a lower set temp thermostat and a radiator. Mishimoto seems to be the only option which sucks because I think its very expensive, most cars you can get performance radiator that fits factory shroud for 250-300$. It's like twice as much the price of what mishimoto wants for the wrx radiators they sell (285$)

To the OP I think the dealer will have a very difficult time trying to mimic the problems your having because they test drive they normally will do is never more than a few miles long, and usually the car sits for a little bit before they will get to it.
We have the exact same problems. friends have beeen telling me it's headgasket but coolant has stayed at the same level. I think part of it is how restrictive it is having one fan and those active grill shutters that don't work at all. considering mishimoto thermostat

What sucks even more is that on our "digital temp gauge" it goes to the "normal" bars at like 130 degrees, and then has the 3 "normal bars" all the way to 238 degrees. and I havent hit over 140 but im assuming if it hit over 240 degrees it might get the the point where it tells you its too hot.... hopefully. 220 is pushing it and 240 on a all aluminum 4 cylinder engine is just crazy, I've seen cars melt down when they get to 275. thats only another 35 degrees away from where i'm at just sitting in traffic. i wouldn't feel comfortable driving my FiST to California right now as it stands...

When you mod you can't complain to ford too much because your asking it to do something different then what they designed it for. But on a completely stock car if it were having these problems I would be pretty upset.

Same with me. Mies a '16. Its at the dealer now for ten days and they dont know whats up. Similar threads on this site they should compile all of them into one.
18k miles and all services, fully stock, gently driven daily driver.
Im bummed beyond words.

Old thread - but this happened to me today. Car overheated after a 3hr drive and sitting in DC traffic. Ugh. 100% totally bone stock.