Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating Issues for Fiesta ST

Kazz

Post on reddit today from someone that had this issue. Apparently someone used an infrared thermometer and measured the temp of the radiator in multiple places. Results basically said the flow wasn't good. There may be a new radiator with a new part number. I've asked the poster to let us know the part number from his service ticket and I've asked a Ford parts rep I know for any info on upgraded/replaced parts/part numbers for the 2016 radiator. I'll post if I hear anything.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Post on reddit today from someone that had this issue. Apparently someone used an infrared thermometer and measured the temp of the radiator in multiple places. Results basically said the flow wasn't good. There may be a new radiator with a new part number. I've asked the poster to let us know the part number from his service ticket and I've asked a Ford parts rep I know for any info on upgraded/replaced parts/part numbers for the 2016 radiator. I'll post if I hear anything.
^^^ this.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I guess they got it sorted out for the 2017s. Mine runs nice and stable around 195-200 here in hot Houston. It's been 95F+ for the past few weeks and I've not had any issues, even in bumper to bumper traffic in 100+ heat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I guess they got it sorted out for the 2017s. Mine runs nice and stable around 195-200 here in hot Houston. It's been 95F+ for the past few weeks and I've not had any issues, even in bumper to bumper traffic in 100+ heat.

Very possible - I am thinking if i upgrade the radiator - these problems will just go away. Gotta remember guys - i drove for 20k miles without issue (in similar/same conditions) so maybe the radiator after 20k miles (and 1yr of usage) developed a problem or flow issue ? Not sure yet, i'll wait to see what the dealer says.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Very possible - I am thinking if i upgrade the radiator - these problems will just go away. Gotta remember guys - i drove for 20k miles without issue (in similar/same conditions) so maybe the radiator after 20k miles (and 1yr of usage) developed a problem or flow issue ? Not sure yet, i'll wait to see what the dealer says.
keep us posted.

2016 bought it as a lease return about 6 weeks ago (27K km its a 36k km :) now ). First day out going up hill in 95+ temps it overheated and went into limp mode. No chimes or red light. I slowed down for a bit. Watch it and for the next 45 min it was ok but I kept my speed at 110km/h. Same day coming back. was in 4th, passed some cars and boom temps went up but I slowed down before limp mode, took it easy for the next 4 hours of driving back home.

Three days ago driving in city with ac on was about 95. Going up hill and bam limp mode. Slowed down. went down a few bars and all was fine. About an hour later temps started to raise even on flat with ac on. Once ac off its fine when no hill.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
2016 bought it as a lease return about 6 weeks ago (27K km its a 36k km :) now ). First day out going up hill in 95+ temps it overheated and went into limp mode. No chimes or red light. I slowed down for a bit. Watch it and for the next 45 min it was ok but I kept my speed at 110km/h. Same day coming back. was in 4th, passed some cars and boom temps went up but I slowed down before limp mode, took it easy for the next 4 hours of driving back home.

Three days ago driving in city with ac on was about 95. Going up hill and bam limp mode. Slowed down. went down a few bars and all was fine. About an hour later temps started to raise even on flat with ac on. Once ac off its fine when no hill.
Take it in?

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm so over all these issues.

Mine is brand new and radiator is first mod on my list. I can not have a brand new car be giving me problems. That's why I bought a new car, and I'm not wanting to risk it getting hot and mess up the all aluminum engine. Rather fix it before it's a problem and hurts my engine!

Not yet, way too busy atm with my shop. I'm off for a week after this week so will probably take it in but already told the sales guy about the first two overheats a few days after I got it. Seems its mostly up steep hills in 90+ and when driving harder in traffic with AC on in. After the first two incidents I tested it again with the heater on full blast and flying up the Coquihalla hwy and on the same stretch as the first overheat and the temp guage went 1 bar up on the coquihalla hwy and stayed normal on the first location. I got extra warranty up to 180K Km just in case as I had too many weird problem with my 2007 F150 and only other car I've driven for the last 6 years was my 2011 Yaris which I drove hard on the hwy with 0 issues after 205K KM and my Bronco.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

Mine is brand new and radiator is first mod on my list. I can not have a brand new car be giving me problems. That's why I bought a new car, and I'm not wanting to risk it getting hot and mess up the all aluminum engine. Rather fix it before it's a problem and hurts my engine!
That is backwards. If you don't have any problems then why do you think you're going to have problems. This seems like an isolated thing and it only happened on the 2016 models. Other guys have had it replaced under warranty when they did have problems, and they noted that Ford installed a new part number. That leads me to believe that Ford has since used a new radiator. Including 2017 models. I'm assuming that's what you have since it is brand new.

Someone that got a new rad posted the part number and it had a "b" at the end. Typically with a Ford part number that means it's a second revision part. So it should be updated.

Mine has limped on me twice now. Once in heavy traffic, and once this weekend in the mountains. '16 with 20k km and a Strat tune.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
It's called preventative maintenance

This car sits in traffic every time I drive and will see 25 minute sessions on track. Fix it now and the engine will never get hurt. Why would i wait till it starts? Any car that sees the track can benefit from a bug radiator so idk why you are so against it

It's called preventative maintenance

This car sits in traffic every time I drive and will see 25 minute sessions on track. Fix it now and the engine will never get hurt. Why would i wait till it starts? Any car that sees the track can benefit from a bug radiator so idk why you are so against it
No. It's called replacing something that isn't broken.

Ford won't warranty your cooling system and possibly your engine with an aftermarket rad. He's cautioning against replacing stuff unnecessarily. If you want to put a bigger rad in, no one is stopping you but doing it "because you heard a few other cars overheated" is a silly reason.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

Fix what?..."All these issues"? What are all these issues? The far greater majority of FiST owner have had NO issues. But feel free to void your warranty and "fix" them.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Someone that got a new rad posted the part number and it had a "b" at the end. Typically with a Ford part number that means it's a second revision part. So it should be updated.

Mine has limped on me twice now. Once in heavy traffic, and once this weekend in the mountains. '16 with 20k km and a Strat tune.

As I understand from a parts manager the final letter also denotes a new supplier so parts can be tracked for reliability, not always an improved part. In this case the problems seems to be an internal separation in the radiator so Ford may have simply changed suppliers due to quality issues with the "A" supplier and did zero to the design parameters.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club