Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Vibration in Steering Wheel

Ever since I picked up my FiST (2000 km ago), driving at speeds around 120 km/h (~75 MPH) causes a pretty good vibration in the steering wheel. The strange thing though is not every road causes the vibration. Deerfoot trail here in Calgary definitely vibrates, however, Blackfoot vibrates less.

I initially thought wheel balance issue as the symptoms were almost identical (aside from it being different on various roads). Brought it into the dealership, they test drove and claimed that it was just the firm suspension causing the vibration.

Not being totally convinced and a general lack of trust in any dealership, I brought it to a private shop for a break in oil change and wheel balance. They confirmed the front tires were out of balance a little bit and they re-balanced. Since then, the vibration has been marginally better, but still very prevalent and consistent on certain parts of the highway.

Is anyone else experiencing vibration in the steering at highway speeds? Is this truly just the nature of the firm suspension on this car? I've owned several performance vehicles prior to this one and don't recall every feeling consistent vibration on certain parts of the highway.

Maybe that was it, now come to remember... Dovefoot trail is pretty smooth and definitely Moosefoot is a blast to drive... good luck!

me32

1000 Post Club
Did u rotate the tires an have all 4 tires balanced? It only takes 1 tire on any corner to cause issue like that

YIN

In a sense, the "firm suspension or flat tire causing the vibration" is correct.
Compare to my friend's regular MINI copper, I found my ST 's steering is "vibrating".

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
I would also expect a bit more chatter in the wheel compared to cars with softer suspension. This definitely doesn't feel like it has to do with firm suspension though.

Anyway, appointment at dealer has been booked for Monday. I'll post back on the result.