Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Autoguide pits 2014 Ford Fiesta ST v. Subaru BRZ

Perry

There's a comparative review of the Fiesta ST against the Subaru BRZ on autoguide.com.

Autoguide.com has a nice direct-comparison review that pits our favorite, the 2014 Fiesta ST, against the Subaru BRZ, in a track-centric sort of way. While they end up giving the nod, by the barest of margins, to the BRZ (which won the lap time race by 0.3 sec), they do give a decent measure of respect to the FiST. I evaluate the results of their comparison more favorably for the Ford, and in the end I find that their review serves once again to reinforce my happiness with my decision to go with the Fiesta ST. This car does for me what few other cars can even try, all things considered. And especially when including comparisons of the interiors of the two vehicles, the Fiesta ST wins in a runaway.

I'm confused how there are multiple track tests with the FiST against more expensive cars, and it wins, then fails against the twins, with its lack of torque. Does the rwd in the twins really make that big a difference in this case? I've yet to personally drive the twins, looks like it's be fun, minus the smile inducing torque.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
They (the twins) are fun once at speed and gliding Miata like through the corners being as they rotate and corner without understeer they do oversteer very well and most drivers like that .. and it works for the twins.. Since I no longer own a twin I can say while they are sexy and fun to driver they pretty much blow at everything else in normal DD life.. For me from a tuner aspect the FiST is so much more to build on as it has a good chassis and that smile inducing motor when you roll on it out of second ... But It is like Apples and Oranges here and the Orange (FiST) comes out the winner in all but one corner LOL Great Job I say ...

Cool, it's nice to hear thoughts from someone that has owned one. I need to get behind the wheel of one one of these days just to see how it feels. I'm guessing all bets are off when they come out with a turbocharged version of the twins [bootyshake]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Cool, it's nice to hear thoughts from someone that has owned one. I need to get behind the wheel of one one of these days just to see how it feels. I'm guessing all bets are off when they come out with a turbocharged version of the twins [bootyshake]
When they do I am betting the cost will be even more in the FiST favor ..I looked at putting FI aka SC on the FRS but it was going to be over 5K to install and tune... so that would put the cost of the car for me over 30K. not counting the need for bigger stickier tires and wheels and the rest of the stuff ...

Yeah, that's definitely true. For the money, the FiST is an absolute kick!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #7
I'm confused how there are multiple track tests with the FiST against more expensive cars, and it wins, then fails against the twins, with its lack of torque. Does the rwd in the twins really make that big a difference in this case? I've yet to personally drive the twins, looks like it's be fun, minus the smile inducing torque.
My suspicion is that the proficiency of the drivers doing the testing is greater with RWD than with FWD, and this leads to a greater ability to push the RWD car through turns, etc. I think this is consistent with the fact that they report that the FiST had a hard time with the longer 180 turns compared with the BRZ. I think if the driver(s) had been truly equally proficient with both RWD and FWD that this might have disappeared. I'm sure there are arguments why I'm wrong on this, but, for the moment, this is my guess.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
At my local Subaru speed shop (Mach V Motorsports), when I did my dyno session there, after the run the owner of the shop told me he wished he had that 1.6 ecoboost motor in an BRZ chassis, made me laugh a bit [clap]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
At my local Subaru speed shop (Mach V Motorsports), when I did my dyno session there, after the run the owner of the shop told me he wished he had that 1.6 ecoboost motor in an BRZ chassis, made me laugh a bit [clap]
That would be a great combo on a serious note. All that torque to those rear wheels. Drift machine haha

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
The FRS is a drift machine at least in stock tires LOL BUt that is the one thing about the FiST I will never regret getting is the motor..
Also I would love to see or hear the video (if any) of the lap from incar or a tire cam to see if there was any wheel spin on the FiST coming out of the corners as the Twins have LSD and no matter what your say a open diff will spin the inside tire once T.V. has ceased to correct as the car is mostly straight.. no I understand this will be a minor thing if any but thats what cost it wasn't it a few tenth's here and there on the lap ?? But thats just me ;)

I think its funny to read through the comments on the AutoGuide review and see, "oh, if the BRZ had better tires, it would've SMOKED the Fiesta ST"..... Alright, so lets add $1k worth of mods on the FiST to equal your stickier tires and lets really see who smokes who.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well they should put equal tires on both I bet the results wouldn't change much and the fanboys would still say this and that .. They are not the same but if you like Torque the the FiST is for you ..

Also do you see a twin on this list ??
2014 World Car of the Year awards
finalists