Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch pedal sticking down, still engaging

Hello all,

I have an issue with my clutch/clutch pedal that my dealer is having trouble diagnosing. I?ve done a little research and have not seen anyone having the same problem. I figured asking here would be a good next step.

The issue:
Sometimes when I am releasing the clutch pedal, it will only release about an inch, but will fully engage the clutch. I can continue driving & shifting with the reduced pedal travel but obviously when this happens at random it can be surprising and lead to jerky shifts or stalling. It?s as if the clutch is operating normally, but the clutch pedal only moves 25% of its normal range. I can pull the clutch pedal up with my foot and everything seems to go back to normal.This has happened while taking off in first and shifting from 4th to 5th on the highway. The issue has occurred 3 times in the 6,000 miles that I have driven the car.

If anyone could offer any insight into this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

**Update**

I just got a call from the dealership I'm working with. They were able to replicate the issue and are replacing the clutch pedal assembly. I wasn't able to gather exactly what the issue was, but it seems to be solved for now.

when you pull the pedal back up, do you feel anything? like something shifting or snapping into place? or is it just like... a smooth lift?

what have the dealer checked so far? did they bleed your clutch lines? did they check your master and slave cylinder? I'm trying to recall if my friend had an issue like that when his master cylinder was.. on its way out.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
If I put pressure under the pedal it would snap back in to place. I just spoke with the mechanic, they are replacing the entire pedal assembly. I will see what details I can get from them when I pick up the car.

sounds like your clutch pedal isnt properly attached to the master cylinder. never really seen this, but that would be my first jab at it if I was working on the car.

iirc, first there is a pivot point, then a plunger that interacts with the master cylinder (http://www.amsautomotive.com/AMS/UploadFiles/pgallery/2013424192814.jpg), and then well the foot pedal itself. if the plunger isnt connected properly it can have this intermittent "miscommunication" between your foot pedal and clutch engagement... however this is probably extremely rare... never seen it in my short tech/mechanic career.

So I would look into that first... then bleed, then verify if the cylinders are good... but this would be very hard since its a intermittent problem. Since someone is working on the car, do keep me posted on what they found, I am very curious myself about this problem.

Hello all,

I have an issue with my clutch/clutch pedal that my dealer is having trouble diagnosing. I�ve done a little research and have not seen anyone having the same problem. I figured asking here would be a good next step.

The issue:
Sometimes when I am releasing the clutch pedal, it will only release about an inch, but will fully engage the clutch. I can continue driving & shifting with the reduced pedal travel but obviously when this happens at random it can be surprising and lead to jerky shifts or stalling. It�s as if the clutch is operating normally, but the clutch pedal only moves 25% of its normal range. I can pull the clutch pedal up with my foot and everything seems to go back to normal.This has happened while taking off in first and shifting from 4th to 5th on the highway. The issue has occurred 3 times in the 6,000 miles that I have driven the car.

If anyone could offer any insight into this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

**Update**

I just got a call from the dealership I'm working with. They were able to replicate the issue and are replacing the clutch pedal assembly. I wasn't able to gather exactly what the issue was, but it seems to be solved for now.
Did this get covered by warranty?
Do you have any mods also?

Did they flush/bleed the WHOLE hydraulic system?
they claimed they did.
sucks because the job only takes so long so ive had to come up with a ride/rental to do my daily works. then literally do the same thing. again.
I mean 3 master cylinders in this car. and its very much so as stated above. cold days my pedal will almost be to the floor of the car. after some use itll come back but its very inconsistent. some days it feels like my stage 3 wrx with the way it kicks back lmao.

they claimed they did.
sucks because the job only takes so long so ive had to come up with a ride/rental to do my daily works. then literally do the same thing. again.
I mean 3 master cylinders in this car. and its very much so as stated above. cold days my pedal will almost be to the floor of the car. after some use itll come back but its very inconsistent. some days it feels like my stage 3 wrx with the way it kicks back lmao.

See mine just started doing it from leaving a stop but it hasn’t gotten to be any other gear yet

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
See mine just started doing it from leaving a stop but it hasn’t gotten to be any other gear yet
Is this even from EASY, gentle take-offs from a standstill, with minimal slipping, or is it only during hard, hi-rev, HEAVILY slipped, 'launches', which can/will over-heat the clutch disc, and therefore the slave cylinder and fluid (causing fluid aeration, and the sticking phenomenon)? [dunno]

cxwrench

Is this even from EASY, gentle take-offs from a standstill, with minimal slipping, or is it only during hard, hi-rev, HEAVILY slipped, 'launches', which can/will over-heat the clutch disc, and therefore the slave cylinder and fluid (causing fluid aeration, and the sticking phenomenon)? [dunno]
Mine did it once when I started it in the morning...got it, pushed in the clutch pedal and started it...the pedal stayed down when I took my foot off. Put my toe under it and it popped right back up. Another time it happened when I shifted from 1st to 2nd, just mellow in town driving. Pushed the pedal in, shifted, pedal stayed down but the clutch worked fine. It was so weird it took a couple seconds to understand what had happened. The clutch was obviously engaged, car pulled normally in 2nd but the pedal was all the way down. I've always had cars w/ cable actuated clutches so this couldn't happen.

Mine did it once when I started it in the morning...got it, pushed in the clutch pedal and started it...the pedal stayed down when I took my foot off. Put my toe under it and it popped right back up. Another time it happened when I shifted from 1st to 2nd, just mellow in town driving. Pushed the pedal in, shifted, pedal stayed down but the clutch worked fine. It was so weird it took a couple seconds to understand what had happened. The clutch was obviously engaged, car pulled normally in 2nd but the pedal was all the way down. I've always had cars w/ cable actuated clutches so this couldn't happen.
literally this. every bit of it. my concerns with the dealership tho, clearly there is some part of it that IS hydraulic so I get the master cylinder being changed out. but after the car has had its 3rd, and yielding a similar result. aka NOT fixed, where do you go from there? I noticed something odd when after I got my vehicle back the last time, and that was that the fluid was 100% topped out passed the Max line. after a few weeks of driving the fluid is "where it should be"
no leaks, breaks feel fine. is that not clear evidence the job wasnt done correctly with a proper bleeding? and even so, if the level is now where it should be and consistent, shouldnt have "things leveled out" so to speak?? yet still getting the weird pedal??
SIGH.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^What was their rationale for not (trying EVERYTHING and) also changing out the slave cylinder (inside the bell housing), too much labor?!? [dunno]

J2FoRS

Mine is currently doing this as well. It happens especially after a stop light, and it SEEMS to be happening the most with AC on full blast. When windows down warm days it seems not to do it. Dreading the upcoming winter if the issue is related to the cold? I pull mine off the floor daily now.

Yea immune seems to be every other day I hope it’s not cold tho that’s going to be horrible

Mine has been doing this off an on for 2 years. Pedal still functions but only pops back up about an inch from the floor. Mine seems to do it most often when it is really hot outside. It never does it in the winter. Did anyone ever figure out a cause?

Mine has been doing this off an on for 2 years. Pedal still functions but only pops back up about an inch from the floor. Mine seems to do it most often when it is really hot outside. It never does it in the winter. Did anyone ever figure out a cause?
The answer to this question is buried with Hoffa.