Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for this good info to go along with the full process posted, I now have the nerve to go ahead and do this myself... At only 8000 miles even with a short shift plate I'm having some issues and don't want to deal with the dealer and possibly having to take out my short shift plate for no good reason.
I'd drain my factory stuff out just to see if it has the 2L in it after the TSB for over filling it to prevent bearing failure. Then fill it with Ravenol or Motul 300.....Both great choices.[thumb]

redmoe

I second that, like I mentioned before I only had the factory spec’d 1.7 ish L in my 2017. I had two bottles of the motorcraft fluid in for a few hundred miles but just changed to 2L of Motul DCT and it feels a little smoother. The trans fluid change is super easy. I made a quick video when I did the first change:
https://youtu.be/VyghVFbn9FE

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For me, the hardest part of the whole process is digging out the floor jack, and putting the one side up on a jack stand (then I use the jack on the other side to tilt it and 'pour' the last of the remaining fluid out of the transaxle). ;)

I have MUCH MORE trepidation about removing the whole front bumper, removing the in console shifter, or changing out the radiator, which some on here do on a monthly basis, it seems!

brbauer2

The MTF-3 is a bit lighter/less viscous than the MTF-2 fluid, but BOTH are lighter than the Motul Gear 300, and slightly heavier than the factory (or other) DCT fluids.

IF I lived up in the North Country/northern tier states or provinces, I would probably opt for the Ravenol MTF-3 as well. ;)

Exactly the info I needed. I'm west of Chicago and was planning on the MTF2 but Amazon is out of it. They've got the MTF3 and with your info I'm going to go for it.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been rejected from the 3rd gear on fast shifting a few times now. I'll be switching back to stock fluid from MTF-2. I think the increased viscosity is slowing things down too much.

I changed my trans fluid this past weekend and noticed the drain plug o ring was pretty thrashed. It seems like that o ring might not be factory and I am curious if anyone else had an o ring on either the drain or fill plugs. I'm having a real difficult time finding a diagram or part numbers for anything relating to the IB6 transmission.

no o rings on mine
Thanks for the reply!

I did read through every TSB I could find on ALLDATA and found nothing relating to the IB6 in our STs. There's a bunch relating to the DPS6 automatic. Couldn't find any info relating to fluid capacity specification changes. I did just put 2 Quarts in mine and it measured ~ 20mm from the fill hole though: so not sure what to make of that.

It is funny to me that I have seen capacity for the IB6 stated at 1.67 L (Dry Fill,) 1.7 qt (1.6 L,) and 1.8 qt (1.7L,) all from official sources.

Next time I drain the fluid I plan to add 1.8 quarts and call it a day.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the reply!

I did read through every TSB I could find on ALLDATA and found nothing relating to the IB6 in our STs. There's a bunch relating to the DPS6 automatic. Couldn't find any info relating to fluid capacity specification changes. I did just put 2 Quarts in mine and it measured ~ 20mm from the fill hole though: so not sure what to make of that.

It is funny to me that I have seen capacity for the IB6 stated at 1.67 L (Dry Fill,) 1.7 qt (1.6 L,) and 1.8 qt (1.7L,) all from official sources.

Next time I drain the fluid I plan to add 1.8 quarts and call it a day.
It was posted a few months ago that 2 qts is recommended by Ford .

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
It was posted a few months ago that 2 qts is recommended by Ford .
Quarts or Liters???
2 liters means I will need to buy 3 quarts (oem stuff goes by quarts), since 2 quarts is less than 2 liters.

I would go with the ravenol (and their liter bottles), but being that there's two versions (mtf-2 & mtf-3) I am overrun with too many choices and thus cannot decide 🤔... oem is easy, as there's only one version.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I recently did a trans flush with 2L of Motul 300 (1.65L came out) and it noticeably helped improve the feel of my transmission. I'm convince 2L is the way to go on our transmissions.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Quarts or Liters???
2 liters means I will need to buy 3 quarts (oem stuff goes by quarts), since 2 quarts is less than 2 liters.

I would go with the ravenol (and their liter bottles), but being that there's two versions (mtf-2 & mtf-3) I am overrun with too many choices and thus cannot decide ������... oem is easy, as there's only one version.
MTF-2 is what meets the actual Ford spec, FWIW, right in the Amazon listing so that's what I went with, 2L and made a big difference... nothing wrong with any of these choices, it's all about getting 2L in there.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I recently did a trans flush with 2L of Motul 300 (1.65L came out) and it noticeably helped improve the feel of my transmission. I'm convince 2L is the way to go on our transmissions.
Absolutely! Doesn't matter what you put in there as long as it's something decent that is GL-4 and 2L worth, but these things are factory under-filled for sure!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've been rejected from the 3rd gear on fast shifting a few times now. I'll be switching back to stock fluid from MTF-2. I think the increased viscosity is slowing things down too much.
MTF-2 IS actually the one other than Ford DCT that meets exact Ford spec, FWIW, so it's not increased viscosity... I had FAR more missed 3rd gears with stock under-filled fluid personally, but maybe an actual 2L of Ford DCT stuff will work great, but I'm also glad to have whatever it was in there from new out of there after 12.5k miles for break-in and whatnot... Did you make the move back since you posted?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I too....am also curious as to how the fluid did this. What were the failure symptoms? Etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Eventually I'll post a thread about it

Internal bearing failures

Very easy, Motul does not meet every specification that Ford wants with the trans. I'll venture out and claim I have more miles then anybody on this forum with Motul fluid. I drove 55k miles in less then a year. So my reasoning in my head is you guys don't have the same amount of miles I do.

My car is parked and sourcing all my parts and she will be back eventually.
Yes I can also be one of the few who had transmission problems but me being an over thinker, I'll only use OEM Ford in the trans this time around to let me sleep at night.

I understand this is not a popular post, but I also know this is my 10th car and my cars are maintained more them by other person I've ever know

My 350 would get driven two hours, raced all day and driven home with no issues. This car is known to overheat driving in traffic lol and the trans didn't even make it to 65k. Weather I blame the fluid or not....this will likely be my last Ford

Last edited: