Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

I'd do it on ramps, that gives you plenty of room... also recommend fill from the top with a tube funnel, I bought a pump to pump from the bottom up and wish I had just got a tube funnel to fill from the top, it was messier and more difficult to pump upward in my case.
Yea I have a funnel and a small tube to fill from above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Pretty sure I did mine level as I was rotating tires at the same time. I used a pump and didn't spill anything but it was definitely a pain. I've since gotten a long funnel and will fill from the top next time. I did Motul 300, going to try the Ravenol when I do it next.

There's a lot to read here. What I'm getting is there's overfilling and underfilling going on... less than perfect OEM fluid... transmission issues... the stuff of nightmares!

Do I have to wait for the transmission to break in or can I change it right away?

Is Ravenol the one or just replace with OEM?

I really want to know where my transmission fluid level is at now...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There's a lot to read here. What I'm getting is there's overfilling and underfilling going on... less than perfect OEM fluid... transmission issues... the stuff of nightmares!

Do I have to wait for the transmission to break in or can I change it right away?

Is Ravenol the one or just replace with OEM?

I really want to know where my transmission fluid level is at now...
Just keep in mind that 2L is what you want to use and Ford DCT and Ravenol MTF-2 are the only ones that meet exact Ford spec but any 75w-80, GL-4 full synthetic oil is technically fine, others is on your own risk... Personally I did mine at 12.5k miles, I'd personally do at 10k for some break in with factory fill, but even better is to do it right away and then again 10k later if you don't mind doing it twice... I personally didn't want to deal with the dealer so I just did it and glad I did.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The Motul Multi DCTF also meets the Ford spec, but it is not a full synthetic, being a synthetic blend. ;)
Sorry, forgot that IS correct, I just feel weird about running non-full synthetic and/or DCT fluid even when Ford actually calls for their DCT fluid, hehe... I found THIS chart that shows the B6 takes the Ford DCT fluid of course but also confirms the spec number of WSS-M2C200-D2 which you can web search and find that there is actually a number of fluids that meet this spec but appears many are mainly available outside North America... I would say stick to the Ford spec ones but if randomly needing to buy something and can't get any of those spec ones, then people should stick with 75w-80 GL-4 full synthetic for the best results.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I may try the BG Synchro Shift 2 which Ron (Whoosh Motorsports) sells next change, as it seems pretty stout, but I expect it to 'feel' about the same (which is perfect BTW) performance wise, as the Ravenol MTF-2 currently in my B6. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last edited:
This is my thread with a how to people....those of you who would also like an ass wiping and jello Fed to you will have to wait until I get to work....For the love of god it starts around post #20.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=17128&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Looks simple as hell. Especially since my 2J intake is in now so I don’t need to remove anything. Just a big empty space there. Can’t wait for better shifts and not feeling like I’m stirring marbles with a plastic straw.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This is my thread with a how to people....those of you who would also like an ass wiping and jello Fed to you will have to wait until I get to work....For the love of god it starts around post #20.
Did I miss something? I didn't see anyone begging for step by step instructions, we were just giving some feedback based on our own experiences... I don't see you are the OP of this thread anyway man, no biggie! :)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Looks simple as hell. Especially since my 2J intake is in now so I don’t need to remove anything. Just a big empty space there. Can’t wait for better shifts and not feeling like I’m stirring marbles with a plastic straw.

It's very accessible from the top with the headlamp out. Vs. Jacking the car up....placing jack stands....using a funnel even though its built into the bottle to aid in assistance of the fluid. Did you see how much I took out...about 2L...That's pretty much a brand new Transmission it came out of also by the way courtesy of Ford powertrain warranty at 27k.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's very accessible from the top with the headlamp out. Vs. Jacking the car up....placing jack stands....using a funnel even though its built into the bottle to aid in assistance of the fluid. Did you see how much I took out...about 2L...That's pretty much a brand new Transmission it came out of also by the way courtesy of Ford powertrain warranty at 27k.[
Even if you pull the headlight you'd still need a flexible funnel to get it in the 90 degree/perfectly vertical fill hole, so may as well just get one of those longer hose funnels and just go from the left of the airbox without having to pull the headlight, IMO... Wish I spent the same $8 on a flexible tube funnel than the stupid pump that was a PIA, heh...

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
With a hose/flexible tube there's no need to remove anything. Just jack up the car remove the bolts, drain and fill.
This! On previous manual trans car fluid swaps, I just ran clear tubing from home depot to my funnel. I bought a funnel from autozone that has tubing on it and replaced with longer said piece.

I did the pump thing once back in the day, what a mess!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Once again I'll reiterate this....The Ravenol fluid comes with a built in tube....no need for hoses or funnels. Just more shit to clutter up your garage! I drained it from the bottom....used the built in filler on the bottle and filled from the top....with no mess to clean up after or funnels to clean.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Once again I'll reiterate this....The Ravenol fluid comes with a built in tube....no need for hoses or funnels. Just more shit to clutter up your garage! I drained it from the bottom....used the built in filler on the bottle and filled from the top....with no mess to clean up after or funnels to clean.
So THAT's what you mean by pulling the headlight? THEN the short tube built in to the bottle can reach? you never explained it all in one shot, it was scattered over multiple posts... But dude, if you think having a tube funnel is cluttering up your garage, well, then that is one special kind of opinion man, LOL...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So THAT's what you mean by pulling the headlight? THEN the short tube built in to the bottle can reach? you never explained it all in one shot, it was scattered over multiple posts... But dude, if you think having a tube funnel is cluttering up your garage, well, then that is one special kind of opinion man, LOL...
If you have ever seen my garage and all the other funnels and tools and Automobiles and parts are in it....you would understand man.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If you have ever seen my garage and all the other funnels and tools and Automobiles and parts are in it....you would understand man.
Fair enough man, LOL... and that is actually an excellent idea, pulling the headlight is really easy on our cars and the Ravenol does have the ingenious tube thing built in... but since the fill hole is straight down to the LEFT of the airbox, I'm not visualizing how the tube in the Ravenol would reach on the headlight, maybe for those without a large ST200 or stock airbox or can you reach right under that to get to the fill hole?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Fair enough man, LOL... and that is actually an excellent idea, pulling the headlight is really easy on our cars and the Ravenol does have the ingenious tube thing built in... but since the fill hole is straight down to the LEFT of the airbox, I'm not visualizing how the tube in the Ravenol would reach on the headlight, maybe for those without a large ST200 or stock airbox or can you reach right under that to get to the fill hole?
I pulled out the Tube on the bottle ...all the way it would go....folded it over to not leak any and snuck it in from the top. Found the full hole with my fingers....inserted tube from bottle and squeezed it all in....easy as pie. Now that I think about it ....i thought it is easier if you remove the air box I thought afterwards also. I was just avoiding Jack's and jack stands

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I pulled out the Tube on the bottle ...all the way it would go....folded it over to not leak any and snuck it in from the top. Found the full hole with my fingers....inserted tube from bottle and squeezed it all in....easy as pie. Now that I think about it ....i thought it is easier if you remove the air box I thought afterwards also. I was just avoiding Jack's and jack stands
Yeah, I'm thinking pulling the airbox and not headlight would be best if you don't have a tube funnel and want to use the built in spout tube on the Ravenol bottle... And funny, I have ramps but not a jack and stands, so it's actually easier to do ramps for when just a little more clearance is needed. But also, I'm just resigned to the fact a tube funnel will probably be really helpful for me for other stuff so it would be worth the storage space, but always cool to share ideas here. I've saved myself lots of headache by using these forums to either read through threads for stuff I need to install or asking questions and even going back and forth on silly little shit like this helps to come up with the easiest way for me. For example, on the passenger side engine mount insert, it may have been you, but they said to just remove passenger side headlight, pop the coolant tank up and set over in the headlight area to get to it and that ended up easily being the best way, and that was well into the thread discussion... For this, I went with the pump from bottom method and really wish I didn't, but oh well, we win some and lose in our decisions working on our cars...