Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

Mine is under the recall, and it just so happened to dump all its coolant out the water pump gasket last month, so who knows what that did to the head. I have noticed it slowly dropping since they replaced the water pump and everything, its going back in tomorrow to have the dash removed to get at the plenum where they think one of the doors is binding causing my blend door actuator to break and click. They said they'd do a pressure test on the coolant system at the same time. From what I've read that wont show anything though and it will just remain a ticking time bomb with Ford insisting that its okay... I dont want to have to drive l summer concerned about overheating etc.

Ford's latest update is that they wont have a "fix" (which only involves the coolant level warning light) until 4th quarter 2017... so I'll be stuck always wondering what my coolant levels at all summer, not happy. I'll be going back to the dealer I bought it from and pretty much demanding a buy back/trade in for something else (at elast so I can save the tax difference on a different vehicle). I've put like 3,000 km on it since I bought it like 3 months ago and its been in the shop 3 times now and never with a loaner vehicle to get me around

Mine is under the recall, and it just so happened to dump all its coolant out the water pump gasket last month, so who knows what that did to the head. I have noticed it slowly dropping since they replaced the water pump and everything, its going back in tomorrow to have the dash removed to get at the plenum where they think one of the doors is binding causing my blend door actuator to break and click. They said they'd do a pressure test on the coolant system at the same time. From what I've read that wont show anything though and it will just remain a ticking time bomb with Ford insisting that its okay... I dont want to have to drive l summer concerned about overheating etc.

Ford's latest update is that they wont have a "fix" (which only involves the coolant level warning light) until 4th quarter 2017... so I'll be stuck always wondering what my coolant levels at all summer, not happy. I'll be going back to the dealer I bought it from and pretty much demanding a buy back/trade in for something else (at elast so I can save the tax difference on a different vehicle). I've put like 3,000 km on it since I bought it like 3 months ago and its been in the shop 3 times now and never with a loaner vehicle to get me around
Sorry to hear of the troubles your fiesta is givig you man. Hopefully your dealer makes things right, i would be doing the same also.

I just do not see Ford changing hundreds of thousands of heads for the reported 29 incidences caused by low fluid when an idiot light will do the trick. That is like .0001% (29/240,000) or close to 1 in 8,000 will experience a failure if you don't monitor your fluids.

.00012 failure rate! I state facts.
You keep quoting that figure as if it is the failure rate, but it is not. It is the number of documented FIRES that have been caused by this failure. Nobody knows how frequent the failure (i.e. cracked head and leaking coolant) actually is, but logically it is higher than the number of cars that have caught on fire as a result. In any case, I agree that Ford is not likely to fix the root of the issue anytime soon.

On a positive note for those affected, it appears NHTSA is going to be taking a closer look at the issue and the response Ford has proposed. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...7/04/05/nhtsa-review-vehicle-fires/100068026/

You keep quoting that figure as if it is the failure rate, but it is not. It is the number of documented FIRES that have been caused by this failure. Nobody knows how frequent the failure (i.e. cracked head and leaking coolant) actually is, but logically it is higher than the number of cars that have caught on fire as a result. In any case, I agree that Ford is not likely to fix the root of the issue anytime soon.

On a positive note for those affected, it appears NHTSA is going to be taking a closer look at the issue and the response Ford has proposed. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...7/04/05/nhtsa-review-vehicle-fires/100068026/

This is great news! Hopefully they crackdown on Ford and make them fix what they rightfully should. Also, their spokeswoman Elizabeth is a dumb ****, that dummy sensor doesn't fix anything, it still loses coolant.

zanethan

Where in the world are you filming on the engine?? I can't for the life of me find anything resembling any of what I can see in your video.

*EDIT*
I found it. For others searching for the sensor it's under the intake on the side of the engine. I good flashlight will help to show it without removing the intake.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

You are correct I am sure about the head failures being more that 29. However I have not seen any indication of a large numberof heads failing on this forum or the used car websites on reliability nor even the NHTSA website. The recall was for the 29 fires and to address that issue as were my calculations, it was not for "defective heads". Without knowing how many heads have failed who knows what a total failure rate would be.

Ford was careful in the recall wording and the NHTSA reviewed fix is to prevent more fires and nothing to do with so called "defective" heads. Hench my reason why all the rhetoric of law suits and such silliness is tilting at windmills. This recall does not acknowledge any head problems from Ford. Just maintenance issues from the consumer, and an attempt to insure they get an idiot light on if they fail to monitor the cooling. All recall measures must be reviewed by NHTSA and I guess they did not think this is a head issue either to the great annoyance of many that own the affected cars on this Forum.

From the Detroit News article:

Experts say coolant shouldn?t become depleted in newer cars, and that Ford may be cutting costs by shifting responsibility for the problem to owners. Coolant could be leaking from a number of places, or the engine could be burning it, both of which could cause significant engine trouble down the road ? especially if owners don?t religiously watch coolant levels and act immediately if they get low.

?All you?re doing is monitoring a symptom, not solving a problem,? said John Nielsen, managing director of automotive engineering for AAA. ?A healthy engine doesn?t leak coolant at all. Ever.?

should we revert back to stock for those that have to take it to the dealer for the recall?

I'm planning to not get the "fix." I have coolant already mixed, and regularly check the level (so far, so good). That's really all the proposed gauge will do, and I really don't want Ford messing with the ecu's firmware as who know's how that might affect a tune. I don't think the gauge would be much use in case of a catastrophic failure on the highway. Besides, I can monitor the coolant temp with my AP.

Now a redesigned head which solves the underlying problem; that's a horse of a different color.

I spoke to Ford customer relations this morning.

They were really tight lipped, especially when I mentioned the ongoing or new investigation. They didn't mention go into the dealership for this dummy coolant light fix. I did mention that due to sub-par cooling aspect of the oem radiator etc., I replaced it and they said to save receipts of what I did for future reference. Refund my costs. Only 25k on the car currently.

As for information about this recall, whether or not replace the head and/or engine, they wouldn't say, as they had no information to run with. They are, apparently, still gathering information about what to do or how to fix the problem. They said to wait for the letter, which is being mailed out the week of April 18th, for further details etc. which would be available then.

Grrrr!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Wait... You're not suggesting they will refund a radiator upgrade are you?? I have a hard time believing that.

Wait... You're not suggesting they will refund a radiator upgrade are you?? I have a hard time believing that.
I'm not betting on it, not in any way, shape or form, but the words came out of this individuals mouth. "Save those receipts," he kept saying. He couldn't, nor wouldn't elaborate on anything until they send out those damn letters to owners... highly adamant that installing a dummy sensor is no way appropriate of Ford to do. [boxface]

According to this article in NZ http://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/fire-risk-recall-confirmed-for-kiwi-ford-kugas-and-fiestas/
We will implement the recall in two stages.

At the first stage, dealers will replace the coolant bottle and cap and re-route the turbo coolant return line.

The second stage of the recall will involve dealers installing a coolant level sensor system and wiring harness, and will also re-flash the PCM and instrument cluster with updated software.

Has anyone seen this article? It seems to have some of the exact words as to what a previous comment was made on this thread. It's good that it is atleast getting some public exposure and hopes that it pressures ford to actually fix the problem instead of passing it on to the owners

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...-recall-cars-prone-overheating-fires-46594136

So I guess we have to wait on the NHTSA to finish their investigation to see if the sensor is satisfactory or if ford will have to replace the head. I have a feeling ford will have to replace the head. In the meanwhile I guess we can file a complaint on their website stating the sensor is a unsatisfactory solution.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
So I guess we have to wait on the NHTSA to finish their investigation to see if the sensor is satisfactory or if ford will have to replace the head. I have a feeling ford will have to replace the head. In the meanwhile I guess we can file a complaint on their website stating the sensor is a unsatisfactory solution.
Yeah it sounds like it. I suppose a damaged a motor would fall under a warranty claim since the recall has been issued. Perhaps I'll email Ford to confirm. I wish they still participated this forum.

I had my car into Ford for a warranty claim today on the blend door actuator. They did a pressure test on the coolant system which had some very specific instructions from head office I guess on how to perform it, it would seem to me that they still don't fully understand the problem and are trying to diagnose using dealers who are performing maintenance. Pressure test came back good, at 25 psi each time, once cold and once warmed up or something they said. He also took a sample of my coolant to hold overnight to see if it would separate into any oil/coolant layers.

The instructions from head office on my printout sheet were to "check coolant weekly"... so I guess I should start billing them for me providing mechanic services since a newer car shouldn't need weekly fluid level checks when being driven normally. I'm calling the dealer I bought it from tomorrow, I've only had it two months and I would think this would fall under lemon law jurisdiction since it has a big drop in resale value at no fault of my own all of a sudden (not to mention being in the shop for warranty work twice, soon to be three times for unrelated issues)