Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Got my Levels Intercooler the other day just waiting to finish a few other tidbits before I install it ..

Anyone else have a FMIC they would like to share POST up we can chit chat about them..

To Scale against a Iphone 5 s and case (NOT included in purchase... lol)

pwnall1337

Vendor
My atp intercooler will be here tuesday. Goes on along with TBE and mount insert on wednesday. Dyno sheets to come.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Once you get the bumper cover off the FMIC is so easy to remove ... here is all the manual says after is say remove bumper cover..

Infact the hardest part was getting these 3 bolts out of the fender once the plastic inner liner was removed then just find and remove the rest of the underside and topside screws and don't forget to unplug the fog lamps :)

So I got curious and went out to my car sitting in the garage without its bumper cover and charge air piping.. and sure enough 2 8 mm bolts and a lift up while pulling out away from the car and it about falls out in your hands .. Easy removal and the Levels then slide in and bolts right up is my guess looking at the to bars going up from the IC to meet the crossbar in front of the radiator.. very easy install from the looks of it..

XuperXero

When I saw a sticky for this thread, I thought it was going to have all the brand's dimensions, price, pipe size, core size, endtank specs, pressure drop test results, etc...

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
So I installed my IC today.
What kind of difference are you guys with stock intercoolers seeing between ambient and charge air temps? At a light today after just cruising, my charge temps got 25* higher then ambient.
I'm also only hitting 17.5 psi max now. Not sure if I'm hitting my torque target with less boost or what

It was about 93 out today with charge temps around 100 at stoplights and intake temps around 115 and cruising both temps around 97-98. I think my peak boost dropped a little also but the car feels stronger.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'm curious about the core size versus the stock FMIC. Has anyone measured?

iso100

1000 Post Club
So the intake *and* FMIC were changed at the same time here? That makes the results hard to quantify when there are multiple variables changing.

Did you run any tests at WOT during an acceleration run to compare charge temps to ambient under load? That would be the situation we really care about when replacing the FMIC. Heat soak will always happen when stopped but the real reason we upgrade the IC is for colder charge temps under load so we can increase timing or boost without detonation.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
So the intake *and* FMIC were changed at the same time here? That makes the results hard to quantify when there are multiple variables changing.

Did you run any tests at WOT during an acceleration run to compare charge temps to ambient under load? That would be the situation we really care about when replacing the FMIC. Heat soak will always happen when stopped but the real reason we upgrade the IC is for colder charge temps under load so we can increase timing or boost without detonation.
No the FSwerks intake has been on the car for 3 months now.
I did 2 back to back wot pulls, I can't remember the exact number, but charge temps we're pretty solid there. And once you get cruising around temps are about 1.2 over ambient.

I'll do more pulls this week and see how it performs

iso100

1000 Post Club
Were you able to confirm (despite the apparent pressure drop) that the new IC is dropping charge temps more than the stock one?

HaveBlue83

I will say that my Garrett core is probably the best thing on my other car. it is solid, and an icebox. it refuses to heat soak and it was not cheap. I am looking at fmic's but I don't know if I can say no to a garrett now that I am a believer in their fin design and B&P construction. glad ATP made a bolt on setup :)

MOFiST

Ok so my power goals in the short term are stock turbo with a DP and tune.
So I had a chat with a rep on the Mishimoto site as it appears Aussies can get their gear shipped to us at reasonable prices.
He says their IC's are rated in HP.
There smallest Z line core is supposedly rated to 325HP.
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-small-black.html
I'd happily put the larger J line core on my car but don't want to loose the fast spool time.
I guess my question is do reckon the Z line Mishimoto are a worthwhile modest upgrade.
Anyone have any thoughts about putting a better but more modest size IC on our cars?
It is a tiny turbo after all or am I missing something?