Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 16x8 Wheel Incoming - Konig Dekagram

HBEcoBeaST

You got me thinking about my life decisions again. I realized how loud the stock tires are on the highway, and would like them to have less highway noise. Any chance you have had the stock to compare to the falkens?
No sorry my car came with cheap Ironman imove gen2 all seasons. They are not loud but not quiet. IMO the Indy 500s on a 16"rim are more quiet than my tires.

I've ridden in a FiST with RSRs and those are pretty damn loud. You notice it the most just cruising and on the highway. Kind of sound like an off-road tire combined with swarming bees. The guy had a turboback exhaust and while tire noise didn't overpower the exhaust, you could still hear the tires.

On other platforms the falkens are moderately loud. Probably louder than stock but less than RSRs. None of the 200 treadwear tires are quiet IME. Max grip doesn't equate to silent treads.

I think good UHP tires are perfect for the FiST on the street. Enough grip to have fun and enough slip to Hoon when desired. I think some people "over tire" the car whether for looks or whatever. While it doesn't neuter the car as much as it does in an FRS/BRZ/GT-86 I think it takes away from the FiST's playful nature.

But, if you're doing track time you have different priorities....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

They do. Not a 215 but just as wide or even wider than a 215....

G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 - SIZE: 205/45ZR16
I really want more sidewall though and wouldn't go smaller than a 205/50. IMO might as well go 17" vs a smaller tire on a 16" rim. I'm stock height and want to fill the wheel gap and get more rubber for crap roads.

But I do appreciate the suggestion. Too bad the bfg comp 2 205/50 is narrower than the 205/45 by 1".

DaveG99

I really want more sidewall though and wouldn't go smaller than a 205/50. IMO might as well go 17" vs a smaller tire on a 16" rim. I'm stock height and want to fill the wheel gap and get more rubber for crap roads.

But I do appreciate the suggestion. Too bad the bfg comp 2 205/50 is narrower than the 205/45 by 1".

Well you are picky and will never be satisfied...lol

To run 50 series tires you need 15's or it will be too tall. At least for my taste. I like to keep as close to the OEM wheel/tire height as possible.

And I,ve never noticed tire noise for a performance car tire ever in my 41 years I have noticed tire noise from mud terrrains on trucks though. Maybe the performance cars Ive had are just loud?

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

Well you are picky and will never be satisfied...lol

To run 50 series tires you need 15's or it will be too tall. At least for my taste. I like to keep as close to the OEM wheel/tire height as possible.

And I,ve never noticed tire noise for a performance car tire ever in my 41 years I have noticed tire noise from mud terrrains on trucks though. Maybe the performance cars Ive had are just loud?
Lol yes I want something that doesn't exist

My tire requirements for these rims may be a bit much:
Lessen wheel gap at stock height
8" or close tread
Reasonable noise level
15000ish mile treadlife
Not scary in the rain

But I can dream right?

16s IMO are a compromise between looks and performance. If we wanted all out looks we'd go bigger 17/18. If we wanted lightweight, tire selection, better ride, wide, affordable(ish) we'd be better off with 15s. 16s are the in between. I desire less wheel gap at stock height, square/not stretched tires, lightweight, good grip/ride.

I know plenty of FiSTs run 205/50s on 16x7s, some even lowered mildly. It's about .6" taller tire than stock and a 205/45r16 is about .2-.3" shorter than stock. Tire depending of course. With my mods the taller 'gearing' from bigger tires will help too.

The OEM 17s are getting rashed to hell with these crappy roads I drive daily. Pot holes, steep rutted driveways, construction, etc. I'm hoping 16s with more rubber will help while not looking like balloons, losing a ton of feedback or breaking the bank.

A7xogg

Lol yes I want something that doesn't exist

My tire requirements for these rims may be a bit much:
Lessen wheel gap at stock height
8" or close tread
Reasonable noise level
15000ish mile treadlife
Not scary in the rain

But I can dream right?

16s IMO are a compromise between looks and performance. If we wanted all out looks we'd go bigger 17/18. If we wanted lightweight, tire selection, better ride, wide, affordable(ish) we'd be better off with 15s. 16s are the in between. I desire less wheel gap at stock height, square/not stretched tires, lightweight, good grip/ride.

I know plenty of FiSTs run 205/50s on 16x7s, some even lowered mildly. It's about .6" taller tire than stock and a 205/45r16 is about .2-.3" shorter than stock. Tire depending of course. With my mods the taller 'gearing' from bigger tires will help too.

The OEM 17s are getting rashed to hell with these crappy roads I drive daily. Pot holes, steep rutted driveways, construction, etc. I'm hoping 16s with more rubber will help while not looking like balloons, losing a ton of feedback or breaking the bank.

and tire that you find with a tread section of 7" or wider will be the ones to go with. cause they were using a 7" wheel to do their measurments. a wider wheel makes the tire wider which gives you all the benfits of a slightly stretch tire without it being too stretched. This is the reason why the 205 50 15 sport comp 2 is 1" narrower because they used a 6.5" wide rim for measurement.

HBEcoBeaST

and tire that you find with a tread section of 7" or wider will be the ones to go with. cause they were using a 7" wheel to do their measurments. a wider wheel makes the tire wider which gives you all the benfits of a slightly stretch tire without it being too stretched. This is the reason why the 205 50 15 sport comp 2 is 1" narrower because they used a 6.5" wide rim for measurement.
Good advice. I see most 205/50r16 and 205/45r16 tires are only rated for rims 6.5-7.5" wide. Searching tirerack at the moment.

A7xogg

Good advice. I see most 205/50r16 and 205/45r16 tires are only rated for rims 6.5-7.5" wide. Searching tirerack at the moment.

yeah but 205mm equals like 8.017 inches or something. on other websites 205 tires are rated for 8" wide wheels. as long as the section width isnt really narow like 6.7" or something then it wond be an issue, though something thats less than 7" shouldnt be a 205 size tire.

I thought that tread width didn't change with the rim it is mounted on and it was section width that that changed depending on the rim it's mounted on?

A7xogg

I thought that tread width didn't change with the rim it is mounted on and it was section width that that changed depending on the rim it's mounted on?
I know a wider rim makes the sidewalls more usable instead of rolling over the sidewall, the rime and tire act like a motorcycle tire now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No sorry my car came with cheap Ironman imove gen2 all seasons. They are not loud but not quiet. IMO the Indy 500s on a 16"rim are more quiet than my tires.

I've ridden in a FiST with RSRs and those are pretty damn loud. You notice it the most just cruising and on the highway. Kind of sound like an off-road tire combined with swarming bees. The guy had a turboback exhaust and while tire noise didn't overpower the exhaust, you could still hear the tires.

On other platforms the falkens are moderately loud. Probably louder than stock but less than RSRs. None of the 200 treadwear tires are quiet IME. Max grip doesn't equate to silent treads.

I think good UHP tires are perfect for the FiST on the street. Enough grip to have fun and enough slip to Hoon when desired. I think some people "over tire" the car whether for looks or whatever. While it doesn't neuter the car as much as it does in an FRS/BRZ/GT-86 I think it takes away from the FiST's playful nature.

But, if you're doing track time you have different priorities....

IF you think the RSRs are loud, I guess you have never driven in anything with the RS-RRs. [crazyeye]

I am one of those 'guilty as charged' "over tire-ers" who put a sticky summer tire/wheel setup on their lower-powered, factory turbo, FiST, since I absolutely HATE the idea of ANY FWD wheel spin whatsoever (and having come from a torquey domestic RWD V-8, to me, only ricers 'light up' the FRONT tires on purpose).

Also, maybe I misunderstand the actual definition of "hooning around", but to me, (despite the way OUR car can rotate with no power at all to the back wheels) it takes either RWD, or a very powerful AWD setup with the ability to send at least 50% of the power to the rear wheels to "hoon" properly. ;)
(Power understeer does NOT a 'hoon' make, to me at least.)

Depending on the model, today's 200 tread wear donuts are not so crazy soft compounded as to wear out in less than 5K miles (maybe excepting the RE71Rs), but yes, they are ALL much noisier than any 300-500 tread wear UHP summer street tire on the highway, or at any speeds over ~30 MPH.

IF they made them in a size I really wanted (like a super wide tread width {>8.2" wide} 215/40-17, or a 225/40-17) , I would even go down to a 100 tread wear sticky for summer street use, yup, even at low power levels.

Really, the only things that are TOTALLY unusable on the street are all-out, 00-50 tread wear, very thin carcassed, pure track ONLY, mostly (or ALL) slick tires, because they would be CONSTANTLY flatting due to their super glue compound picking up EVERY SINGLE piece of road shrapnel they roll over (not to mention their hockey puck on ice behavior on even damp pavement, let alone ANY standing water).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Tire Rack's site (and many others) will tell you that actual TREAD width on a given tire DOES increase by a small amount with every 1/2" wheel width increase over the measuring wheel's width stated in the specs. ;)

HBEcoBeaST

Haha. Maybe it's because we don't have much sound deadening but I want to hear the radio and my passenger. It's my daily so compromises....

My definition of 'hooning' for this particular car are lift-off over steer, steering wheel/throttle induced 4-wheel skids/slides/drifts(ok maybe not drifts) and some handbrake usage. I also enjoy 'throwing it' into turns. Sparingly done on a closed course under adult supervision. Definitely not proper Gymkhana but childish, fun driving at reasonable (ish) speeds.

Good to know I can get away with a 205 tire as I will probably go 205/50r16 Firehawk 500 or federal 595. Crossing my fingers for 15K mile treadlife (1set of tires/year).

These wheels look really good in pictures. I hope they're more gloss than black. You guys need to hurry up and get yours so you can post weights and pictures. Keeping everyone waiting LOL [emoji12]

HBEcoBeaST

Their site lists 14.5 lbs for our bolt pattern which is awesome and they are flow formed!!!
Hopefully that's a proper weight. Only about.5lbs heavier than rota slipstreams and 1" wider. I like how these look better too.

LILIKE16ST

Hopefully that's a proper weight. Only about.5lbs heavier than rota slipstreams and 1" wider. I like how these look better too.

Yea and that is a pound less than my 15x8 td pro race 1.2s as well...not alot but when combined with the 205/45 extreme contact tires I would run I could lose 4 lbs per corner from my current setup and a full 10 lbs per less than my stock setup was and thst is huge....that's a big weight loss ecapecially considering I'd be going up a size on diameter...I love my 15s but I slightly prefer the look of these konig and I think a 16x8 with a 1 inch drop would be the perfect look for this car not to mention it would help performance in every way. I'm thinking about going with these in the future and making my 15s a winter setup. These are very nice wheels.