Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What do you all think of this Fiesta ST?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Doesn't matter what make, model, or year. I would not purchase any vehicle that was modified or "restored" from a modified state.

Depends on what you're looking for whether those upgrades appeal to you or not and see if all the original parts are still included. I think the oil catch can is a plus, but I never liked after market exhaust.

Is $13,500 too much for a 60,000 mile FiST where the seller is not the first owner, you don't know how long the seller has had the car or who the other owners were, and that has a few aftermarket parts that surely don't increase value of the car? I'd look for a lower mileage one owner car with an ad that is not so full of fluff and bs.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Is $13,500 too much for a 60,000 mile FiST where the seller is not the first owner, you don't know how long the seller has had the car or who the other owners were, and that has a few aftermarket parts that surely don't increase value of the car? I'd look for a lower mileage one owner car with an ad that is not so full of fluff and bs.
Okay I see, I think you are spot on. I'll keep looking. He does seem to fluff it up a bit much.

zanethan

That one seems over priced to me as well considering the mileage.

I got a "used" '15 with 500 miles on the clock for $17,500 last year. I'm in NC too so we're largely comparing apples to apples.

Try expanding your search to the Charlotte area there are tons of FiSTs out here last time I checked.

I would also check more rural areas. Our cars aren't as popular in those areas and will have likely been sitting longer thus dealers will be more willing to negotiate.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
That one seems over priced to me as well considering the mileage.

I got a "used" '15 with 500 miles on the clock for $17,500 last year. I'm in NC too so we're largely comparing apples to apples.

Try expanding your search to the Charlotte area there are tons of FiSTs out here last time I checked.

I would also check more rural areas. Our cars aren't as popular in those areas and will have likely been sitting longer thus dealers will be more willing to negotiate.
KBB says anywhere from 13.3 to 17.5 for that one. with a fair market value of 15.4.

whats cheaper? $2500 or 30k miles of wear and tear?

I'm starting to wonder if NC is just the worst state for buying cars.... All of the deals on autotrader are usually hundreds of miles away..

Edit: I guess you are right. here is a similar FiST w same miles and $1k cheaper: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=470600924

In searching for a Fiesta I definitely wanted to find the one least modified. With these cars I found that such a high percentage of them were autocrossed/tracked and that wears out cars much faster than just daily duty. One local car to me looked beautiful on first glance since the previous owner ceramic coated it, but on inspection of the Carfax, he'd gotten probably a dozen alignments. AKA he had aftermarket suspension and adjusted it a lot and raced it a lot. (I actually found the owner and confirmed this suspicion)

I'm not sure what your exact price limit is but I felt much much more comfortable with a car without any engine modifications, and went from there.

So, while it might be cool to get a car with a few mods that you like, you gotta remember that likely people with those mods have possibly driven the car in a more aggressive manner utilizing them.

zanethan

Given the audience that our cars tend to attract I'd say $2500 is cheaper in the long run. But that's just my opinion.

The FiST is in general going to be difficult to find. Unless your in SoCAL all FiSTs are going to be hundreds of miles away. It's just the nature of buying a niche market car.

If you want the best deal you're going to have to be willing to travel a few hours, otherwise you'll have to pay for what's local.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Given the audience that our cars tend to attract I'd say $2500 is cheaper in the long run. But that's just my opinion.

The FiST is in general going to be difficult to find. Unless your in SoCAL all FiSTs are going to be hundreds of miles away. It's just the nature of buying a niche market car.

If you want the best deal you're going to have to be willing to travel a few hours, otherwise you'll have to pay for what's local.

I see... Okay, I'll keep looking. My starting budget was $10k but at this point I'm not sure where it's at.

Hey Zanethan, do you think this ad is legit?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=462592338

I just dont know how they are able to sell a new one that cheap....
Reading the fine print the price that is displayed is after EVERY discount is taken (i.e. recent college grad, military, etc...), and before destination charges, taxes, tag, title, etc. I priced out a new model recently that was listed at like $17k online and out the door was $22k or so iirc.

My car, being a year old was listed at $16.5k w/ 16k miles and was actually that price since used cars don't have those secret discounts already factored in. OTD was around $18k I believe.

zanethan

^ yep. They load on all possible discounts to get you in the door then inform you that you only qualify for x discounts.

There is a dealer in norther VA that seemingly does honor their outrageously low prices though. I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

The one in Huntersville looks clean, but as you pointed out they're asking $16.5 and fair market is at $15.2. My guess is that there is a loan on it and he needs $16.5 to clear it.

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Okay I see. Lots of discounts that they aren't talking about up front.

Also found two more that are both much, much closer to me. Within an hour drive each. and low mileage.

I kind of actually like this dark blue one: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GXXGM201800

KBB says between 15.5 and 19.6 for this blue one. with fair purchase price at $17,492.

I think if I could get it at 16 or 16.5 that would be a great deal. Thoughts?

And this is a black 2015 model: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX1FM178471

Both carfax one owner and no accidents/damage reported.

zanethan

Those look like decent deals but they don't have the Recaro's. I'm not sure if that matters to you or not but if it's something you think you'll want later I can tell you from experience that they are almost impossible to find at a junkyard.

With all of the hurricanes and floods of the last few years I would want the car to be very thoroughly looked over by somebody who knew what to look for. Especially a multi owner car. Unless you just can't swing it financially I would really see if I could work out a deal on a new one. If a used one, maybe somebody on this forum that was the original owner. If somebody already mentioned this, a thousand pardons as I haven't had a chance to really read everything here.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
One other reason to be concerned about an altered vehicle, is future maintenance can be made beyond beyond frustrating without knowing precisely what was done. Emissions and engine control systems are often modified along with the bolt-on parts. While the average inspection will find bolt-on alterations, programming changes will remain hidden; and can ruin an engine faster than any bolt-on.

Also, what is "an upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder. I bought an all aluminum radiator thinking it was "an upgrade", except that "upgrade" didn't even last 5% of the time that the OEM part was in the vehicle.

My prior vehicle had an aftermarket radio installed. When it died, I found that a prior owner cutout the vehicle's wire harness. Instead of adapting the radio to the vehicle, he adapted the vehicle to the radio. [scratch] That meant I had to obtain a wiring harness, wiring diagram, map out the conversion, confirm the function of each wire with a multi-function volt meter and D-Cell battery (for the speakers), then finally solder over a dozen wires. When that radio was stolen, I had to stick with the same manufacturer to avoid a repeat experience.

Bottom line, if you enjoy driving a vehicle, don't by altered. If you enjoy looking at your vehicle... on jack stands potentially.... buy altered. [wink]