Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I moneyshifted my 2015 ST

Yes, I know what I did was worse than death itself. I was just cruising on a cold Saturday night when I stupidly shifted from 2nd(around 3,000rpms that time) to 1st. I felt the wheels lock up and managed to depress the clutch immediately. I saw the RPM jump to around 4,500 to 5,000. Then shifted to a very safe 4th gear.

Should I get an engine diagnosis at the dealership? Because I truly hope that I just shortened the life of the clutch and not any other component. I’ve been feeling my ST since the day of the incident and I still feel that my clutch is still solid. There are no knocks, misfires, nor a CEL on my dash. But I still feel terrible for what I did. Should I take her in?

felopr

i wouldnt count that as a money shift imo,
one could have shifted to 1st smoothly if you had rev-match the engine to 5k rpm, from your alleged 3k rpm on 2nd

for me, money shift is when you downshift and puts you over your redline.
for example 2nd gear 6k rpm and shifted to 1st, that is money shift, at least for me

i wouldnt worry about it

Last edited:
OP
Arcthum
Thread Starter #3
i wouldnt count that as a money shift imo,
one could have shifted to 1st smoothly if you had rev-match the engine to 5k rpm, from your alleged 3k rpm on 2nd

for me, money shift is when you downshift and puts you over your redline.
for example 2nd gear 6k rpm and shifted to 1st, that is money shift, at least for me

i wouldnt worry about it

Well sadly I would count it as a misshift. The wheels did lock up a bit though, since the road had some ice and snow.

felopr

[video=youtube;mQNIBUpBGv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQNIBUpBGv8&t=385s[/video] here is a money shift for you

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah you are over reacting

The dealer would love for you to take it in So they can tell you it needs a new clutch, flywheel and trans..when you clearly told us nothing is wrong

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
You're right, it is a miss shift. It is definitely not a money shift. Your car is fine, but if you want to waste some money, feel free to take it to a dealership.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Money shift is called money cause you just blew something up! You just oopsed into the wrong gear when casually driving about. Best thing to do would to be to pat your dashboard, say "sorry [insert car name here]", and move on.

OP
Arcthum
Thread Starter #10
Best thing to do would to be to pat your dashboard, say "sorry [insert car name here]", and move on.
I guess I'm not the only one that does this ritual haha. Pretty comforting replies all, cheers!

I guess I'm not the only one that does this ritual haha. Pretty comforting replies all, cheers!
You definitely need a replacement driver lol... or maybe just more practice.

We have all done it driving at one point or another, it just uses up some clutch material faster than normal wear.

cxwrench

You'd have to forcibly push the engine past redline to call it a money shift. 4 to 1st instead of 3rd while downshifting, or shifting at redline back into the next lower gear while accelerating.

OP
Arcthum
Thread Starter #13
You definitely need a replacement driver lol... or maybe just more practice.

We have all done it driving at one point or another, it just uses up some clutch material faster than normal wear.
I’ve only had about 8 months of manual driving under my belt before getting the Fiesta. A lot more practice is truly needed. Haha

You never really have to downshift to first gear unless your stopping the in the Fist. Pretty sure owners manual says 10mph and under.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I often just start in 2nd, especially when I'm eating lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zissou

Isn't lugging a turbocharged engine bad?
I find eating while driving bad. Get those crumbs outta here.

Also yes, you should not lug the engine. So if you're starting in 2nd be gentle; no mashing the gas. I use 2nd gear to start if it's snowy or if I have forgotten to put it back into 1st.

Also can the mods change this thread title to be "I did not moneyshift my 2015 ST" to clear up this thread?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That's what the clutch is for. If you don't know how to pull away clean in 2nd gear in a FiST without lugging the engine, you shouldn't be driving a manual.