Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Racing shoes?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
At the track events I attend, about 50% of the drivers wear "racing shoes", but I'm not convinced they're worth the investment.

• Who wears racing shoes?
  • Do they make a difference?
  • Which brand/model do you prefer
  • Pros
  • Cons

The first ADIDAS were for racing cars.

That said, Puma seems to have the most casual driving shoes that arent loafers. I liked their styling more before they started throwing huge logos on everything.

I wear mine every day. Ill go hiking in mine. Mine are subtle and dont scream ricerboi.

The pedal feel is worth any compromise you may see, but even with my flatas feet I find them to be fairly comfortable. Having size 12 feet makes them a requirement in my NA. Youll be able to modulate pedal movements more precisely and makes moving the right foot around a lil easier. Dont have to worry so much about thick tread pressing the wrong pedal, getting snagged, and makes heel toe a bit easier too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The first ADIDAS were for racing cars.

That said, Puma seems to have the most casual driving shoes that arent loafers. I liked their styling more before they started throwing huge logos on everything.

I wear mine every day. Ill go hiking in mine. Mine are subtle and dont scream ricerboi.

The pedal feel is worth any compromise you may see, but even with my flatas feet I find them to be fairly comfortable. Having size 12 feet makes them a requirement in my NA. Youll be able to modulate pedal movements more precisely and makes moving the right foot around a lil easier. Dont have to worry so much about thick tread pressing the wrong pedal, getting snagged, and makes heel toe a bit easier too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Those are just soccer cleats without the spikes!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I got a pair of Simpson Midtop Racing Shoes that I wear for Autocross. I got them mainly because I noticed that my regular sneakers would catch the brake or catch on the center console wall once in a while because they're just too wide (i.e. meant for running). I've only worn them a handful of times, but I at least feel more confident in them that my foot is where I think it is in relation to the pedals. Much easier to pivot my foot in them with the rounded heal.

http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-midtop-racing-shoes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lol, discreet I know! I thiiink its called Adidas Trackstar XLT. Love em for all of the same reasons as above, except unlike most racing shoes they're not obnoxious with flashy colors or enormous logos.

anticon

Onitsuka Tigers or Saucony Bullets are what I was looking at. Basically old track shoes without the spikes. Wrestling shoes kind of look like driving boots also.

cxwrench

I've had these for years, got them when I was racing shifter karts. I think they do make a difference, the sole is stiff, narrow, and grippy but not too much so. I still dig them out every time I go for a fun drive. That said, I'm fine driving in 'training' shoes as well. Not necessarily running shoes, but something a little narrower and with a smoother sole.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Theyā€™re unnecessary unless you need to meet fire protection standards. Rolled and padded heels help for long stents and sticky soles help too, but theyā€™re unnecessary for 15-20 minute sessions. Puma makes a ton of ā€œdrivingā€ shoes for narrow feet folks. I drive in Vans so what do I know? I do have a pair of obnoxious DC Rally shoes that are pretty comfortable but I always seem to grab my Half Cabs and wool mtb riding socks. Whatever your comfortable in is best.

KKaWing

"Racing" shoes for flame/fire resistance, so just look at the label I guess... driving shoes I found skateboard shoes (think DC) are pretty good. If the shoe has wide and flat bottoms, they're usually pretty good for driving. Piloti shoes for that brand name "bling". Ok, having a stiff cradle as a sole and a round heel is pretty great.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I was gonna say the same thing, but they are very similar to the now LONG discontinued, mid top Monaco adidas shoes I have, with that same 'futbol' style quilting pattern on the smooth suede uppers, and a Goodyear sole.
I wore out one pair a LONG TIME ago, and have a second, brand new pair sitting on my shelf which were bought at the same time, on a big discount from Eastbay a while ago. [:)]

I would NOT walk anywhere far away in these (or ANY other real driving style, or actual SFI/FIA certified shoe I own, for that matter which includes various Oakley and Alpinestar models), let alone actually hike in them.
The ONE driving style shoe which IS made to be comfy to also walk in are the Piloti, which are what I would buy IF I wanted a shoe to both walk an autocross course, AND drive that same course, without changing shoes (despite their co$t). [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've had these for years, got them when I was racing shifter karts. I think they do make a difference, the sole is stiff, narrow, and grippy but not too much so. I still dig them out every time I go for a fun drive. That said, I'm fine driving in 'training' shoes as well. Not necessarily running shoes, but something a little narrower and with a smoother sole.

I have a pair of those same exact looking shoes, except they are the FIA fireproof, car version. ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was gonna say the same thing, but they are very similar to the now LONG discontinued, mid top Monaco adidas shoes I have, with that same 'futbol' style quilting pattern on the smooth suede uppers, and a Goodyear sole.
I wore out one pair a LONG TIME ago, and have a second, brand new pair sitting on my shelf which were bought at the same time, on a big discount from Eastbay a while ago. [:)]

I would NOT walk anywhere far away in these (or ANY other real driving style, or actual SFI/FIA certified shoe I own, for that matter which includes various Oakley and Alpinestar models), let alone actually hike in them.
The ONE driving style shoe which IS made to be comfy to also walk in are the Piloti, which are what I would buy IF I wanted a shoe to both walk an autocross course, AND drive that same course, without changing shoes (despite their co$t). [wink]
I was kidding....they do definitely make your feet less cumbersome due to their slender design.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Goodyear makes racing shoes. I had a pair of the Ori. They were very light and comfortable to drive in. Also the soles look like tire treads.

https://goodyearfootwearusa.com/collections/performance-racing-shoes
GREAT find! [cool] [thumb]

Those first pair of Clutch-e look almost identical to the adidas Monocos I own, save for the lack of the 3 suede stripes on the sides, and an even lower cost than what I paid for them MANY years ago, at a discount!

I'm guessing that Goodyear bought up the patents for all of the uppers/lasts and designs from adidas for ALL of their non SFI/FIA certified driving style street/lifestyle shoes, and started making their own with the same soles on them.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was kidding....they do definitely make your feet less cumbersome due to their slender design.

With size 13 footwear, I absolutely CANNOT drive at all in a workboot, or my Merrill winter treaded mid top boots, even with the stock pedal placements, let alone IF I ever did the pedal spacer, or aftermarket pedal cover mod thing! [nono]

A wide soled sneaker/running/skateboard shoe (or "tennis shoe" as you mid-westies/westerners/southerners call them) is already becoming very difficult for me to not hit both pedals at once (when I DO NOT want to!), let alone anything wider/bulkier. ;)

cxwrench

I have a pair of those same exact looking shoes, except they are the FIA fireproof, car version. ;)
The 'kart' model was/is soooooo much less expensive in Alpinestars. Oddly enough the Oakley FIA shoes are pretty cheap, around $150.00 I think?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 'kart' model was/is soooooo much less expensive in Alpinestars. Oddly enough the Oakley FIA shoes are pretty cheap, around $150.00 I think?
Yeah, the price differences between kart and FIA specs in Oakleys were (NOT sure that they still make safety clothing equipment anymore, or even ANY shoes at all, save for the mil spec desert combat boots [dunno]) MUCH less than all of the other 'major top tier' shoe/safety equipment manufacturers (Sparco, OMP, Stand 21, A-Stars, etc.).

Goodyear makes racing shoes. I had a pair of the Ori. They were very light and comfortable to drive in. Also the soles look like tire treads.

https://goodyearfootwearusa.com/collections/performance-racing-shoes
Thanks for the tip about Goodyear shoes, never knew they made them! My heals have been killing me driving in dress shoes so I just ordered a super cheap pair of their Groove model off of Amazon ($28 delivered) for commuting & occasional track day. I will post up pics and thoughts after I use them for a bit.

I picked up a pair of Puma Speed Cat driving shoes years ago because they were on sale and thought they were cool. I've never even used them since I never tracked my previous car and kinda forgot about them until reading this. I'm gonna have to dig those out and see how they are. Also want to do a track day in my FiST this summer so will have to use them for that. I think the rounded heel and slimness of them will be nice for shifting quickly.