Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync 3 v3.0 released

The non-nav units do not have enough memory to update without resetting the unit first to disconnect all devices first. Then update and then add phones and bluetooth stuff back.....per Ford Support!

"Ford tech guy called today and we talked about 30 minutes on the subject of the updates. First is the WI-FI, he assured me Ford is working to correct the issues, they really do not want hundreds of thousand of cars/trucks coming to dealerships and Ford paying for the updates. He said numerous problems have been reported and they will get it resolved ASAP. Said the reason my car was not attempting the WI-Fi update is the memory problem has non-nav updates flagged as not available so it does not try to update. As to the 2016 non-nav USB update issues it is a memory problem to start with. Nav systems have more memory than non-nav units. He said the way to make the usb update work on non-nav units is to first do a Master Reset to uncouple any phones or bluetooth devices to free memory. Next is the so called "arrangement" issue. It appears some third party unzip apps do not place the files in the correct order and the system locks up or gets into a loop. Said only Windows File Explorer should be used on WIN 8 or 10 to insure the correct order. He also told me what should be used for Apple but I don't do Apple so I really do not remember, sorry. I assume it would be whatever unzip app that comes with the Apple. He said the great majority of calls they get for help are resolved by doing this. Hope this helps.......No, I have not tried it yet!"
So just to be clear, there is no way for non-nav to update OTA? Even after a master reset?

The non-nav units do not have enough memory to update without resetting the unit first to disconnect all devices first. Then update and then add phones and bluetooth stuff back.....per Ford Support!

"Ford tech guy called today and we talked about 30 minutes on the subject of the updates. First is the WI-FI, he assured me Ford is working to correct the issues, they really do not want hundreds of thousand of cars/trucks coming to dealerships and Ford paying for the updates. He said numerous problems have been reported and they will get it resolved ASAP. Said the reason my car was not attempting the WI-Fi update is the memory problem has non-nav updates flagged as not available so it does not try to update. As to the 2016 non-nav USB update issues it is a memory problem to start with. Nav systems have more memory than non-nav units. He said the way to make the usb update work on non-nav units is to first do a Master Reset to uncouple any phones or bluetooth devices to free memory. Next is the so called "arrangement" issue. It appears some third party unzip apps do not place the files in the correct order and the system locks up or gets into a loop. Said only Windows File Explorer should be used on WIN 8 or 10 to insure the correct order. He also told me what should be used for Apple but I don't do Apple so I really do not remember, sorry. I assume it would be whatever unzip app that comes with the Apple. He said the great majority of calls they get for help are resolved by doing this. Hope this helps.......No, I have not tried it yet!"
FWIW, I followed this step and still get the same error message. I appreciate the info, though.

redmoe

I just installed via usb yesterday with no issues. I always format the usb before a flash load like this to absolutely make sure there are no left over files that may cause an issue. The update takes about 25 to 30 min to complete.

So for those of you having issues, how do you have your USB drive setup? I have went through multiple versions of the firmware with no issues. I did find in the Ford notes that you MUST have your USB drive setup as MBR partition table with an exFAT file system.

If your thumb drive/usb drive settings don't match this, you will have issues:

XanRules

I think the last update was downloaded over WiFi but I'm having a heck of a time getting this one to connect.

A7xogg

So for those of you having issues, how do you have your USB drive setup? I have went through multiple versions of the firmware with no issues. I did find in the Ford notes that you MUST have your USB drive setup as MBR partition table with an exFAT file system.

If your thumb drive/usb drive settings don't match this, you will have issues:
Just did the update on my 1 6without nav. worked perfectly using the usb. I did have to reformat my usb to exfat.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Just did the update on my 1 6without nav. worked perfectly using the usb. I did have to reformat my usb to exfat.
Yeah, I believe that Ford is simply wrong about it. No need to have it formatted exFAT, and you don't need a 32GB stick either, I used an 8GB. I would suggest using Win native zip utility and extract the files either directly to the memory stick or to the hard drive and then copy them as-is to the stick.

Just need to be patient, it may take a bit of time for the FiST to recognize the USB stick, but a message "Updating software" should appear at the top of the SYNC screen.

My sequence is to take anything out the module, plug the stick with the update, and start the car. Works.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I believe that Ford is simply wrong about it. No need to have it formatted exFAT, and you don't need a 32GB stick either, I used an 8GB. I would suggest using Win native zip utility and extract the files either directly to the memory stick or to the hard drive and then copy them as-is to the stick.

Just need to be patient, it may take a bit of time for the FiST to recognize the USB stick, but a message "Updating software" should appear at the top of the SYNC screen.

My sequence is to take anything out the module, plug the stick with the update, and start the car. Works.

I agree with your statement and experience!

I unplug my USB cable and let it go. The light on my USB flashes some before the update text displays on the screen. I used the time it was updating to check out the car. Done in no time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I agree with your statement and experience!

I unplug my USB cable and let it go. The light on my USB flashes some before the update text displays on the screen. I used the time it was updating to check out the car. Done in no time.

Pixel 2XL, eh? Upstaging much? [emoji23]

XanRules

I've been trying to get it to update over Wi-Fi since I don't want to dig around my desk for an empty flash drive but I may just give the USB drive a shot if folks are liking the new update. I'm still on 2.2, I hope that won't negatively impact the update.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XXL using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. I have done it twice now, formatted ExFat and Fat32. Both times it failed,MEM_ERR03 is th error code.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I've been trying to get it to update over Wi-Fi since I don't want to dig around my desk for an empty flash drive but I may just give the USB drive a shot if folks are liking the new update. I'm still on 2.2, I hope that won't negatively impact the update.

I haven't been able to get the update pushed through the WIFI. Not worth the time - or gas - IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel Magnum with extra pouch XL using Tapatalk

Don't waste your time on the WiFi. It supposedly doesn't work as advertised.

Pixel 3 XXL? Sounds like a taco Bell burrito.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Hmmmm. I have done it twice now, formatted ExFat and Fat32. Both times it failed,MEM_ERR03 is th error code.
Odd. Then again, mine is a NAV APIM, so perhaps there's some truth to what Ford is saying about doing the Master Reset first on the non-NAV. If you yank it out too soon, it would produce an error, but not sure what code it is.... Does take a few minutes before it recognizes the stick. Also, make sure that you follow the unzipping routine correctly....

'16 Sync3 without Nav updating over USB from V1

Install went fine, but the Android auto option is missing, and when I connect my Pixel 2XL it continually keeps opening and closing the Android auto app on my phone.

Install went fine, but the Android auto option is missing, and when I connect my Pixel 2XL it continually keeps opening and closing the Android auto app on my phone.

Try to master reset sync and try again.

me32

1000 Post Club

Did you upgrade the hardware? The usb hub needs to be changed on 16s