Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Change

I'm confused... I have no idea which fluid to buy for when I do a transmission drain and fill.

The manual says that I'll need over one quart of DCT fluid for a manual transmission...????

I thought manual transmissions need 75w-90 gear oil?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you think the manual was a misprint? You can use a variety of fluids in there that are NOT factory SPEC if you do some more digging such as Motul 300. Just remember the factory used DCT Fluid for a REASON.[wrenchin]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I use Motul DCTF, it is very similar to what is in there from the factory. I believe the car uses 1.67L dry. When I changed mine, I drained and filled 1.6L. Thicker fluid like Motul 300 are similar to what you are used to and will definitely change the shifting feel of the car. Some people love it. The thicker fluid may also reduce your fuel economy.

HBEcoBeaST

I like my motul 300. Definitely more effort to shift but it feels smoother and normal transmission noises are more quiet. My mpg hasn't taken a hit at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A lot of manual transmissions use non-gear oil, take the Tremec WorldClass T5 for example, it uses straight up ATF to be able to properly lubricate the needle bearings. If you were to put in standard gear oil it would wreak havoc on the bearings.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Beat me to it! ;) LOL

This stuff is about the same weight/viscosity as the specced (and Motul) DCT fluids @ 7.4 cSt @ 100*C (the DCT fluids are all ~7.3 cSt @100*C), is MUCH MORE shear-proof, is a FULL GROUP 4/PAO synthetic, and is a GL-4 fluid, so there are less harsh, and possibly corrosive/harmful to transaxle internals, EP additives in it like the GL-5 gear oils contain. [thumb]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
i'm too lazy to look it up or search so can someone educate me on how often we're supposed to change it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Ravenol MTF-2 is $16.71 a liter plus shipping at Blauparts, and the Motul DCTF is $43.94 for 2 liters including shipping on amazon.

The Motul stuff fully meets or exceeds the actual Ford spec, but it is a semi-synthetic, whereas the pricey Motorcraft DCT is a FULL synthetic (IF that means anything at all to you). ;)

Redline's DCT, Royal Purple's Synchromax, and Amsoil's DCT do NOT meet the Ford spec at all (albeit RP's cross reference chart does show the Motorcraft XT-11-QDC), but of course, if you were/are using the Motul Gear 300, neither does that gear oil.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
FTR as I said in another thread

I had the Motul 300 for 30k miles cause that was the go to. I hated it from day one but that is what everyone used......I went to Motul DCTF and OMG night and day

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
If this is the case I will be changing it out to this maybe when its warmer and not snowing here in Mn...yes we got 7 inches of gods dandruff today alone. The Brightside...Its 30 degrees....[clap]...NOT
-30 !
Snowing here, too. No need for the thick fluid. Maybe if I was in Texas or something.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I stand corrected the motul 300 now does meet Ford spec from what I've been reading but the Redline is one that hasn't been endorsed. I think I'm gonna role the Motul 300 from Ron @ whoosh here during my turbo install. Good luck !

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Another thread...
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...n-fluid-change?p=296666&viewfull=1#post296666

Putting back in what came out, was definitely not 20mm/1" away from the hole. Service Manual says fill until 20mm/1" from the fill hole. Yet the owner's manual says 1.6L dry fill capacity. The two seem contradictory. Given the clack noise, I went the Service Manual.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What does "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling" mean.......their site says nothing about meeting Ford specs.
To me "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling" is completely different from "meets or exceeds" the Ford specs. It simply says it will work in these applications.
" RAVENOL MTF-2 SAE 75W-80 is designed
based on synthetic base oils and specially coordinated additive treatment. This exceeds the needs of today's application requirements. " However a 75W-80 oil is not what is recommended in the manual, DCTC is correct? Maybe I am confused because I am used to seeing the "meets or exceeds" standards we see in the USA? Thanks for any clarification, I see many using Motul 300 but the Motul site states the DCTC is the correct one to use. May just stick with Motorcraft!

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
What does "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling" mean.......their site says nothing about meeting Ford specs.
To me "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling" is completely different from "meets or exceeds" the Ford specs. It simply says it will work in these applications.
" RAVENOL MTF-2 SAE 75W-80 is designed
based on synthetic base oils and specially coordinated additive treatment. This exceeds the needs of today's application requirements. " However a 75W-80 oil is not what is recommended in the manual, DCTC is correct? Maybe I am confused because I am used to seeing the "meets or exceeds" standards we see in the USA? Thanks for any clarification, I see many using Motul 300 but the Motul site states the DCTC is the correct one to use. May just stick with Motorcraft!
Not really sure what they mean there. The bottle says Ford WSS-etc., among others, which is what's specified.