Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Change

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
God dammit....do any of you read whole threads or just skim....there are a lot of us who have pulled 2.0L out of their Transmissions when servicing it. I had my Transmission replaced at 27k ....took brand new fluid out...measured it....2.0L on the Nuts....They started to overfill them due to bearing Failure as per TSB according to A Ford Tech who put my Trans in.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I read the thread. I'm just stating what I did and trust what I read around the forums. Plus, no one really confirmed 2L is what you should put in. It was more of a "I'll check and get back to you" type of thread.

Sam4

God dammit....do any of you read whole threads or just skim....there are a lot of us who have pulled 2.0L out of their Transmissions when servicing it. I had my Transmission replaced at 27k ....took brand new fluid out...measured it....2.0L on the Nuts....They started to overfill them due to bearing Failure as per TSB according to A Ford Tech who put my Trans in.

I was busting balls - 2L in and nothing about draining. I agree - there couldn't possibly be more info about this....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was busting balls - 2L in and nothing about draining. I agree - there couldn't possibly be more info about this....
A real Ball buster huh! Welcome to Thunderdome my Friend...

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
there are a lot of us who have pulled 2.0L out of their Transmissions when servicing it. I had my Transmission replaced at 27k ....took brand new fluid out...measured it....2.0L on the Nuts....They started to overfill them due to bearing Failure as per TSB according to A Ford Tech who put my Trans in.
According to the Service Manual's instructions, they aren't overfilling the transmissions. They're correcting the fill level.

The instructions state to fill to 1" below the fill hole... not only for the B6 transmission, but also the B5.

The 2.1L it takes to reach the 1" below fill hole, also coincides with the specification that is listed in that same manual, but for the B5 instead of the B6.

Bottom line, they're not overfilling to account for some defect, the 1.6L spec was simply incorrect.

For 2016 at least, they were going according to that incorrect spec, versus the refill instructions.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The CURRENT formula/bottles of the Motul DCT fluid also FULLY fulfill the manual's Ford WSS 200-whatever spec as well as the semi-synthetic, and FULL synthetic Motorcraft DCTs, and yes, the unobtanium HERE Castrol brew.

Ford WOULD have a VERY HARD TIME proving that a fluid like the Ravenol MTF-2 (which being a GL-4 fluid is actually A LOT more heat and mechanically shear RESISTANT than ANY DCTF, protects the gears, sliders, synchros, and bearings MUCH better than any DCTF could, and is splitting hairs close in cSt @100*C viscosity to those DCTFs) actually caused a B6 transaxle failure. [nono]

I already 'chanced' the non-spec Motul Gear 300, so I will also take my chances on the Ravenol MTF-2 when I change to that in the coming weeks. [wink]
Hey, I know this is old but for those that don't know Ravenol MTF-2 and MTF-3 DOES meet Ford spec. From the Amazon listing: ā€¢ FORD WSS-M2C200-D2 - our exact spec

I have only 12.5k on my '17 but gonna go ahead go with MTF-2, have mild gear whine in 6th on the freeway and hopefully it will help... MTF-2 is 75w-80 and MTF-3 is straight 75w, but I trust the less additives of the MTL-2 GL-4... How is the MTF-2 working out for you?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey, I know this is old but for those that don't know Ravenol MTF-2 and MTF-3 DOES meet Ford spec. From the Amazon listing: ā€¢ FORD WSS-M2C200-D2 - our exact spec

I have only 12.5k on my '17 but gonna go ahead go with MTF-2, have mild gear whine in 6th on the freeway and hopefully it will help... MTF-2 is 75w-80 and MTF-3 is straight 75w, but I trust the less additives of the MTL-2 GL-4... How is the MTF-2 working out for you?
It's one of the best fluid changes that I have done on my vehicle. Very noticable shift feel and to me less notchy and smoother.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is good to hear as I have already pushed my order for 2 liters and hand pump through. :)
No hand pump needed. It comes with a spout built in to the bottle....just an FYI...I have it shown in a thread about changing the MTF.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No hand pump needed. It comes with a spout built in to the bottle....just an FYI...I have it shown in a thread about changing the MTF.
Great, I totally assumed it would be needed, will the $8 spent at least make it easier? I can't find your post after searching, maybe I can cancel that part of the order but maybe it will be handy?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Great, I totally assumed it would be needed, will the $8 spent at least make it easier? I can't find your post after searching, maybe I can cancel that part of the order but maybe it will be handy?
I use a CRC, or Amsoil pump/hose for my transaxle fluid installs, since it is much easier for me to do than removing the whole air box and such every time.
I would still have to jack up the front anyway in order to get the drain pan under there, so it does not even save that time/effort for me. ;)

BTW; YES, I like this stuff much better than the Gear 300 (less 'notchy', much smoother in sub 50*F temps), although IF I were open tracking this thing in the heat of the southwest/Tejas every other weekend, I would use the Gear 300.
IF I knew it was going to be an unusually frigid winter (or IF I lived in International Falls or locales north of there), I am crazy enough to change this stuff out twice a year between the MTF-2 and MTF-3 Ravenol fluids.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I use a CRC, or Amsoil pump/hose for my transaxle fluid installs, since it is much easier for me to do than removing the whole air box and such every time.
I would still have to jack up the front anyway in order to get the drain pan under there, so it does not even save that time/effort for me. ;)

BTW; YES, I like this stuff much better than the Gear 300 (less 'notchy', much smoother in sub 50*F temps), although IF I were open tracking this thing in the heat of the southwest/Tejas every other weekend, I would use the Gear 300.
IF I knew it was going to be an unusually frigid winter (or IF I lived in International Falls or locales north of there), I am crazy enough to change this stuff out twice a year between the MTF-2 and MTF-3 Ravenol fluids.
Thanks for the input guys! I have removed my airbox once before for the short shift plate install, hopefully the one time pump purchase for $8 will just make it easier to do this more often, hopefully with the good stuff in there and in the right amount (2L), I can go 20k intervals.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I use a CRC, or Amsoil pump/hose for my transaxle fluid installs, since it is much easier for me to do than removing the whole air box and such every time. ...........................................
I used something that was similar to this. Since the funnel spout was removable, I combined two of the spouts to meet the required length. That means I didn't have to remove anything other than the refill bolt on the front of the transmission.

redmoe

Hey Ron, looks like good stuff may have to give it a try. On a side note I noticed that your product page specificity states to fill with 1.6L per the manual? Just curious if you had any differing insight to what has been discussed in this thread?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hey Ron, looks like good stuff may have to give it a try. On a side note I noticed that your product page specificity states to fill with 1.6L per the manual? Just curious if you had any differing insight to what has been discussed in this thread?
I agree with using 2 full liters and use that amount in the shop car
Safe side is stating the owners manual fill amount