Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Fiesta is dead

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/04/report-discontinued-chevrolet-sonic-ford-fiesta-taurus/

Even the local news was reporting on the Fiesta being dead. Not really a big shock after Jeep was the big winner in the Q1 sales reports and Ford said yesterday that only low volume-high margin sedans and coupes would be part of their portfolio. That doesn't leave much room for a Fiesta. I feel pretty bad after being part of the Fiesta program since 2009 and doing everything possible to help the brand succeed. In the end, Americans just don't want cars, don't want small cars, don't want anything that even looks like a small car. I am thankful for the Fiesta Movement and owning both a 2011 Fiesta and my Fiesta ST. While the rest of the country is obsessed with trucks and SUV's, I still think the Fiesta is the best small car money can buy. I am happy that there are at least a few people who agree.

I agree with you! It's sad to see it go and it'll be missed. I followed you on FiestaFaction for a number of years and now to the ST, here. You've contributed a lot to the movement, and I have you to thank.

Keep it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
While the rest of the country is obsessed with trucks and SUV's, I still think the Fiesta is the best small car money can buy. I am happy that there are at least a few people who agree.
Lots of people agree.

Sadly, most of them don't live in North America.

I wanna slap the bonehead who though I'd prefer a 4 door.

I will continue to enjoy mine for years to come. I was surprised when the 17 model year was completed and then extended into 2018 for Fiesta. The current iteration is a pretty damn good super mini, and does not seem dated at all.
But, man are we going to be drowning in crossover suv's within five years! I sat in an Ecosport earlier this week. It's nicely finnished but has zero towing capability,, not much cargo capacity and no rough or off road ability. I would have a difficult time pressing a pen to an RD 108 for anything like that.
If Ford wants to sell me an suv, they will revive the Excursion! The only reason that got killed off was political correctness. I am interested in a truck or suv that will tow something in the neighborhood of 20 thousand pounds. Plus i have an extra bumper sticker like the one on my V10 F350 4x4. It says "My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint."

PCA-1

Death to the 4x108??? Say it isn't so!

Sad. I don't see anything else in the Ford line up I would want to pay for.

Not at all interested in the 2019 Made in China Focus either.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
While the rest of the country is obsessed with trucks and SUV's, I still think the Fiesta is the best small car money can buy. I am happy that there are at least a few people who agree.
I personally could not agree with you more if I tried!!

I am PROUD to be piloting this little rocketship of a car, even if it seems to be the laughing stock of the rest of the 'bigger HAS TO BE better' mentality of the rest of this effed-up land.

I LAUGH at all of the dolts locally who think that one MUST MUST MUST buy ONLY at least a smaller SUV, or 'crossover', if not a rolling TANK, whether or not they will ever actually EVER use it's AWD/4WD capability, cargo capacity, towing capacity, or any off road ground clearance capability it may have, or not.
To them, it is a sign of THE lowest socioeconomic status to ever be caught in anything smaller than their tanks, unless it is a $150K+ sports car/coupe/exotic, 'rolling mink coat/solid 24K Rolex' so that they can show off all of their wealth and 'success'. [thumbdown]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Death to the 4x108??? Say it isn't so!

Sad. I don't see anything else in the Ford line up I would want to pay for.

Not at all interested in the 2019 Made in China Focus either.
As far as anyone can tell, the 8th gen Fiesta/FiST in Europe/rest of the sane world still uses the 'dreaded' 4x108 PCD, so PLEASE tell Rimstock to KEEP RIGHT ON PRODUCING product for that application!! [thumb]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I think another part of the reason that SUVs are so successful here is the same reason that the station wagon and later the minivan were so popular in previous decades...because they can carry so much and/or so many at once. The difference now is that suvs/crossovers look so much cooler than the minivans of yesteryear while having decent enough mileage and power due to todays technology to keep it interesting.

After all, I am a practical person. Personally, a sport coupe is my vehicle of choice. However, I must consider my needs, hence my current hatchback, the FiST. I'd rather have a hatchback but if I absolutely needed a crossover/SUV/truck, etc...I'd probably also join that band wagon. Thank goodness my hatch fits my needs and it does so while being more fun to drive than any of the sport coupes I've ever driven so far...Win-Win. So glad I found out about this car because to be honest, Ford was not on my radar initially and this car has been a gem.

At over 65k miles now, it's starting to show it's age (only 2.5 years) through minor noises here and there. Planning to hopefully go through it carefully and take care of them eventually. In the meantime...I'm putting this to good use and happily get the most I can out of it. When that moment comes, I can only hope another car comes around that can fill in the void this one will leave behind...otherwise I may just be on the lookout for a low mileage FiST next time.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I think another part of the reason that SUVs are so successful here is the same reason that the station wagon and later the minivan were so popular in previous decades...because they can carry so much and/or so many at once. The difference now is that suvs/crossovers look so much cooler than the minivans of yesteryear while having decent enough mileage and power due to todays technology to keep it interesting.

After all, I am a practical person. Personally, a sport coupe is my vehicle of choice. However, I must consider my needs, hence my current hatchback, the FiST. I'd rather have a hatchback but if I absolutely needed a crossover/SUV/truck, etc...I'd probably also join that band wagon. Thank goodness my hatch fits my needs and it does so while being more fun to drive than any of the sport coupes I've ever driven so far...Win-Win. So glad I found out about this car because to be honest, Ford was not on my radar initially and this car has been a gem.

At over 65k miles now, it's starting to show it's age (only 2.5 years) through minor noises here and there. Planning to hopefully go through it carefully and take care of them eventually. In the meantime...I'm putting this to good use and happily get the most I can out of it. When that moment comes, I can only hope another car comes around that can fill in the void this one will leave behind...otherwise I may just be on the lookout for a low mileage FiST next time.

I wonder how long it will take for the demand for aftermarket parts to start to discontinued from mountune, Cobb, mishimoto etc. I would think maybe in 5 years if these see the demand starts to fall off these companies will start to stop producing parts. I recently ordered the mountune turbo back exhaust cause of this reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait until another financial crisis or oil shortage and people will be begging for small cars again. My wife has a Yaris and we easily fit our two kids and groceries in a subcompact. I love small cars because of the fuel economy.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wait until another financial crisis or oil shortage and people will be begging for small cars again. My wife has a Yaris and we easily fit our two kids and groceries in a subcompact. I love small cars because of the fuel economy.
Exactly what he said....I will put money on it...if fuel goes backup... one or multiple car brands will go under for putting all their eggs Into the crossover realm basket.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

oil price is 68$ a barrel and climbing up. when it hits 80 or 90 things will change again.
But fiesta is a pretty important subcompact rental car here. I remember when i went to dallas on business, being a hot-hatch person, i rented it instead of the dodge charger/chevy malibu, and the counter lady and my coworkers think i am crazy.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Another benefit to our cars is that they are much easier to finding parking spots...in urban areas, I can fit in places other cars wouldn't dream of fitting and a hatchback can load more things than most people would think. I know people with trucks who often times offer to help me haul things that I gratefully decline because I can get them to fit fine in the hatch.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
oil price is 68$ a barrel and climbing up. when it hits 80 or 90 things will change again.
But fiesta is a pretty important subcompact rental car here. I remember when i went to dallas on business, being a hot-hatch person, i rented it instead of the dodge charger/chevy malibu, and the counter lady and my coworkers think i am crazy.
Was it a fiesta ST? I have nearly stopped renting cars at all simply because I prefer driving manual and they don't seem to rent them anymore except in other countries.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I don't think we will see a return to small cars, the segment is deader than sedans. The argument that we will need them when gas goes up in price is false too. Crossovers and smaller SUV's get good enough gas mileage to satisfy the market and with electrics and hybrids coming very soon, there just isn't a reason for small cars to exist. Oh, there will be 90+ new SUV/Crossover models coming out within the next few years. The market will be horribly saturated.

There isn't anything in Ford's lineup that interests me anymore. I really need a hatchback for hauling golf clubs and RC planes, so that rules out a Mustang. The EcoSport rear hatch sucks and I don't want one. My wife has an Escape and it is a fantastic SUV, but the current one is really stripped down in comparison to our Titanium. I grew up around Fords and have never owned anything but a Ford, but I don't see buying another Ford. The Fiesta will be my last Ford.

Don't forget the recently announced intention of the Administration to roll back the current stringent fuel economy standards that manufacturers must meet, and the likelihood for a resurgence of smaller gasoline powered cars diminishes even more.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Don't forget the recently announced intention of the Administration to roll back the current stringent fuel economy standards that manufacturers must meet, and the likelihood for a resurgence of smaller gasoline powered cars diminishes even more.
Yeah, great point. For many years, small cars existed for CAFE requirements. If anyone remembers the Aspire, it existed only to offset the MPG of the 302 SN95 Mustangs. Once the more efficient 4.6L came out in 1996, the Aspire vanished. I don't think the Fiesta existed just for CAFE, but it probably kept it alive longer than Ford or the market wanted. If small cars do come back, they will be electric and closer to being some sort of crossover like product. Any dreams of a gas powered, manual transmission, fun to drive small hatchback are dead. However, they will exist in the market for the next few years. The new Corolla hatchback, Mazda3, Golf, Veloster, and Mini Cooper will be around and give us some options. I doubt the Fiat 500 will survive as it was FCA that started the trend to kill cars and focus on Jeep and Ram.

I understand that the Fiat 500 might be sold on Amazon. The dealership would just be the delivery portal and service point. Dealers wont have product on the lot, maybe a demonstrator in urban markets. That makes sense. I have always thought that Fiesta should have been a kiosk style build, price, order proposition. The sales staff were uninformed and the dealerships resented having Fiesta on the lot waiting to sell.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I understand that the Fiat 500 might be sold on Amazon. The dealership would just be the delivery portal and service point. Dealers wont have product on the lot, maybe a demonstrator in urban markets. That makes sense. I have always thought that Fiesta should have been a kiosk style build, price, order proposition. The sales staff were uninformed and the dealerships resented having Fiesta on the lot waiting to sell.
Except that for the 'impulse buyer', "Gotta have it YESTERDAY!" customer would be TOTALLY UNWILLING TO, and even INCAPABLE OF waiting the 4+ months I had to in order for it to be built and delivered. [:(]
(and I had NO OTHER CAR to use in that time, so I guess I really AM 'patient'? [dunno])

Most of us had to wait several months for our cars to be built anyway. Because dealers didn't have what we wanted, if they had any Fiesta at all.
Just finding one for a demonstration drive was nearly impossible. Let alone one with the desired features or color. Any one of the 100 most frequent participants on this forum probably has more knowledge of the Fiesta product than the top 500 Ford sales people in the entire continental U.S. i am dead serious.