Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ARP downpipe stud and nut kit help

DangerMouse

I'm in the middle of the most fun ever downpipe install.

I have the ARP stud kit but they only thread in a couple threads and get super tight, I don't want to force them, I have made it this far without breaking anything.

The oem bolts came out pretty easily, I was surprised.

Any suggestions?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Compared side by side the thread pitch and overall diameter of the bolts and studs are the same? Are you using an anti-seize? (recommended)

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #4
I'm getting anti seize now, it's the one thing I forgot at home. The threads look the same.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #6
Anti seize helped a little. Unfortunately two out of the four nuts are stuck on the ARP studs. I need three. The allen head wrench is too small to tighten them in and I don't have a socket allen.

I need to get it done today so it looks like the oem studs will have to do.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #7
Downpipe is on just need to connect the exhaust. The anti seize definitely helped. Too bad I am dumb and couldn't get the arp studs to work. I got lucky with the oem bolts living in the Midwest.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Glad you got it to work out. I doing the same thing myself this last weekend. Somehow I either miscounted or misplaced some studs. Had to reuse one bolt.

FWIW, I know a lot of people are are thinking they are helping themselves by using stainless studs in a turbine housing, but its really not a great idea. Not dissing ARP fasteners, they make some very nice pieces, which I've used in several applications. 25+ years of experience has taught me that you should plan for component failure. Turbine housing and manifold bolts have a high tendency to seize up, regardless of the material. The issue with stainless is that it's a much harder material, and more brittle than mild steel or chromoly fasteners. Stainless on stainless also seems especially susceptible to galling. Trying to drill/extract a sheared off stainless fastener from a manifold or turbine housing is not my idea of a good time.

At the very least you should chase out your threads with a good quality bottoming tap and use some high temp copper anti seize, something good for at least 1800*F.

Not trying to start any arguments, just my $.02 based on things that I've had to deal with over the years.