Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync and Android Auto

Anyone else have issues with Android Auto not launching when you plug the phone in via USB? I've tried a number of things including resetting the phone, using different cables, different phones, enabling and disabling USB Debugging, resetting the radio and even replacing the wire that connects the USB module to the radio. Does Android Auto just suck or could it be something else?

Anyone else have issues with Android Auto not launching when you plug the phone in via USB? I've tried a number of things including resetting the phone, using different cables, different phones, enabling and disabling USB Debugging, resetting the radio and even replacing the wire that connects the USB module to the radio. Does Android Auto just suck or could it be something else?
I don't use it a ton, but yeah, it is a little buggy. I have my best luck plugging it into the USB before I start the car. But even that isn't 100%.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
I don't use it a ton, but yeah, it is a little buggy. I have my best luck plugging it into the USB before I start the car. But even that isn't 100%.
I'll give that a shot tonight! Thanks!

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
To state the obvious, you need Sync 3 hardware in order for it to work. Mine works consistently, but it takes 5 seconds or more for it to be recognized. The first time, you'd go through a pairing of sorts, and yo need to have the AA installed on your phone. If you have all of that, then the hub may be bad? If you plug a iPod or something similar to that in, does it get recognized?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
To state the obvious, you need Sync 3 hardware in order for it to work. Mine works consistently, but it takes 5 seconds or more for it to be recognized. The first time, you'd go through a pairing of sorts, and yo need to have the AA installed on your phone. If you have all of that, then the hub may be bad? If you plug a iPod or something similar to that in, does it get recognized?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I think it could be the hub. It will charge and recognize the device, but android auto will not transfer to the screen.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
I'll try it with my wife's phone too just for kicks. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I have had issues with it seemingly randomly deciding that it doesn't want to connect. Restarting the car seems to get it to work, but I can't say that isn't random as well.

I have tried reconnecting the USB cable at the phone, then at the hub. I've tried manually launching android auto before connecting it. I've tried manually closing android auto while the USB is connected.... It's just buggy.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Yeah I have had issues with it seemingly randomly deciding that it doesn't want to connect. Restarting the car seems to get it to work, but I can't say that isn't random as well.

I have tried reconnecting the USB cable at the phone, then at the hub. I've tried manually launching android auto before connecting it. I've tried manually closing android auto while the USB is connected.... It's just buggy.
Do you ever have the issue where it won't let you click the music icon because either the bluetooth or USB signal is trying to connect? I've had that happen where it won't let you select the music inputs till you restart the car.

Do you ever have the issue where it won't let you click the music icon because either the bluetooth or USB signal is trying to connect? I've had that happen where it won't let you select the music inputs till you restart the car.
No I can still move between audio sources when it wont pull up AA. I have had the whole thing just hang up for a few minutes though, regardless of AA state.

borborpa

Premium Account
Not having many issue here with a Pixel 2. Occasionally AA doesn't start, but usually it's because I didn't seat the cable properly. A simple unplug and reseat and AA comes right on.

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
Not having many issue here with a Pixel 2. Occasionally AA doesn't start, but usually it's because I didn't seat the cable properly. A simple unplug and reseat and AA comes right on.
Could be a galaxy issue. I have the Note 8.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I too did not like the way Android Auto worked.
I uninstalled it and tried Ultimate Driving and found it to work much better.
Another thing is that Ultimate Driving connects via Bluetooth so you do not need to tether the phone with the USB unless you wish to charge as well.

Dave

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
I too did not like the way Android Auto worked.
I uninstalled it and tried Ultimate Driving and found it to work much better.
Another thing is that Ultimate Driving connects via Bluetooth so you do not need to tether the phone with the USB unless you wish to charge as well.

Dave
That sounds like a great app. Does it transfer onto the screen in the Fiesta or just stays on your phone? I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the suggestion!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That sounds like a great app. Does it transfer onto the screen in the Fiesta or just stays on your phone? I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the suggestion!
No, Unfortunally it only stays on the phone but it does have very big buttons or you can use all voice commands.
With a ProClip it is right where you can see and use it with ease.
I only use it for texting as Sync does everything else.

Dave

Last edited:
Had a galaxy S6 and AA worked perfectly. Upgraded from the S6 to the essential PH1 and AA refuses to work. Tried, different cables, different phone settings, even have gone as far as contacting essential phone support to no avail, their ultimate answer is that their phone is not on the "confirmed" devices list that ford has on their site for AA so they think it's most likely a sync3 issue and not a phone issue. [???:)][???:)][???:)]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No, Unfortunally it only stays on the phone but it does have very big buttons or you can use all voice commands.
With a ProClip it is right where you can see and use it with ease.
I only use it for texting as Sync does everything else.

Dave
Then may as well use the phone screen AA in that case: adds big buttons, will auto connect with BT if you want, etc, but I'll take a look at that app too as another option...

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Then may as well use the phone screen AA in that case: adds big buttons, will auto connect with BT if you want, etc, but I'll take a look at that app too as another option...
Ultimate Driving Mode does all that Android Auto does and more.
It does auto connect/disconnect with blue tooth.
As I said before I only use it for the texting option and only to auto respond to incoming text messages.
Since I never initiate text messages while driving, I never have to take the phone out of my pocket.
My Sync 2 works perfectly fine for me on all its other functions.

I certainly am not telling anyone what to use.
There are many Apps available so you can choose the one that works best for you.
This is just what I have found works best for me so far and I am always open to other suggestions.

Dave

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ultimate Driving Mode does all that Android Auto does and more.
It does auto connect/disconnect with blue tooth.
As I said before I only use it for the texting option and only to auto respond to incoming text messages.
Since I never initiate text messages while driving, I never have to take the phone out of my pocket.
My Sync 2 works perfectly fine for me on all its other functions.

I certainly am not telling anyone what to use.
There are many Apps available so you can choose the one that works best for you.
This is just what I have found works best for me so far and I am always open to other suggestions.

Dave
Sounds like a great option, thanks for sharing!