Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Doug DeMuro's take on the Fiesta ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have never cared for Doug he's the Twitter, Instagram, Facebook Millennial car reviewer. If you get depressed after watching this car review watch this one instead.

https://youtu.be/Jl-YxAqwzR0

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I used to like Doug when he wrote for Jalopnik, but Oversteer is a joke, and all his stuff these days just grates on my nerves.

"Here's why a BMW 7 Series costs $150k" and then proceeds to tell us nothing about why the car actually costs what it does. Clickbait at it's finest.

Here's the link to the text version for those of us that can't watch YouTube at the office....

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/video-used-ford-fiesta-st-hot-hatch-bargain-281474979862594

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I never heard of him but after watching a bit of his latest video I'm glad I hadn't (until now).

I stopped watching after he went on a rant about "motorcraft" and how much did they pay ford to get mentioned in the owners manual

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I'm not impressed with his review. He misses many things and gets a few things completely wrong, like the rear view camera. The 2018 Ford Fiesta ST is a carryover vehicle. Europe gets the new model ST while the US gets the previous generation because it's discontinued next year, hence the logical reason it didn't get a backup cam. The space above the glove box he complains about is where the earlier ST has led lighting that didn't come on the later versions, like the one he is driving. I've never felt torque steer on my ST and I've flung it pretty hard into corners. I am after all the ex-Road Test Editor from Motor Trend magazine so I know a thing or two about pushing a car to its limits. Almost every major car magazine has said the FiST is way more fun to drive than the FoST. Even in Motor Trend's Best Handling Test from a few year back the FiST was higher ranking than the FoST. Sorry FoST owners but it's true. Some of his ratings seem off to me, like the features. I'm always amazed that Ford fitted so many options in their cheapest car like automatic climate control, automatic headlights that automatically turn on when you engage the wipers. I have heated seats with my Recaros. The only thing I wish it had was a better stereo and the backup cam, which is easily added with the help of ForScan, a camera and a half a day of wiring it up. I could go on but I think I've made some if my points. His review is not well researched and completely off point in several areas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I stopped watching after he went on a rant about "motorcraft" and how much did they pay ford to get mentioned in the owners manual
Oh yeah, I forgot about that major duh! Ford owns Motorcraft idiot!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm not impressed with his review. He misses many things and gets a few things completely wrong, like the rear view camera. The 2018 Ford Fiesta ST is a carryover vehicle. Europe gets the new model ST while the US gets the previous generation because it's discontinued next year, hence the logical reason it didn't get a backup cam. The space above the glove box he complains about is where the earlier ST has led lighting that didn't come on the later versions, like the one he is driving. I've never felt torque steer on my ST and I've flung it pretty hard into corners. I am after all the ex-Road Test Editor from Motor Trend magazine so I know a thing or two about pushing a car to its limits. Almost every major car magazine has said the FiST is way more fun to drive than the FoST. Even in Motor Trend's Best Handling Test from a few year back the FiST was higher ranking than the FoST. Sorry FoST owners but it's true. Some of his ratings seem off to me, like the features. I'm always amazed that Ford fitted so many options in their cheapest car like automatic climate control, automatic headlights that automatically turn on when you engage the wipers. I have heated seats with my Recaros. The only thing I wish it had was a better stereo and the backup cam, which is easily added with the help of ForScan, a camera and a half a day of wiring it up. I could go on but I think I've made some if my points. His review is not well researched and completely off point in several areas.
The '18 DOES have rear camera added by law, the absolutely only thing different on the carryover/final US model year, so he is clearly reviewing a '17 or older, as it's a privately owned Turo rental anyway... But I don't know how people can say it doesn't have torque steer, unless you are running a de-tuned 87 octane tune or something, LOL, it's IMPOSSIBLE not to with the too small turbo that's only good for torque... but agree on all the rest of your points other than stereo, the Sony unit is absolutely fine, some people just add a sub for more bass.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
He misses the point on why people buy this car. It's not for the deluxe interior.

I got it because it's a hoot to drive, and gets 30 mpg. I would have checked the box for a better stereo, if they'd offered it, but it's an econobox. You can't expect too much fancy stuff at the price point.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
First, it still just blows my mind he didn't know MotorCraft IS Ford, wow... but also he insists on using 0-60 for acceleration score when almost every manual made today needs 2 shifts to get there, so it's not an accurate indicator of true acceleration, makes no mention of that and ALSO insists on an insane scale for the acceleration score... He uses the 0-10 scale compared to all other cars out there for all other categories but then says the FiST is only a 2 out of 10 in acceleration? WTH, I just don't get why this guy is so popular...

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
He misses the point on why people buy this car. It's not for the deluxe interior.

I got it because it's a hoot to drive, and gets 30 mpg. I would have checked the box for a better stereo, if they'd offered it, but it's an econobox. You can't expect too much fancy stuff at the price point.

I fell in love with the car because it's what a true purist sports car used to be. All your money goes to performance and none of it goes to luxury items or creature comfort. It only has the most basic items like power windows/locks, and doesn't have all the other crap like backup camera, nav, sunroof, blind spot indicators, adaptive cruise, etc. Yes, some of them are optional but they don't come standard. Lighter is faster!

I just bought my 17 brand new for $19,300. It was the same price as the 18 but the 18 had a backup camera and the 17 had the sun roof and I like the sunroof. Used for $15,00 or new for $19,300? I had come from a 13 fiesta SE and I put 100000 mile on it in 3 years and had 1 sensor go out that cost $200 to repair, that's pretty reliable and I drove it hard!!! So I drove my new 17 and was impressed compared to my 13 and I'm glad I bought it and really have fun driving it. Isn't that why most of us bought this car because of the fun factor for the price? I didn't care for his review of everything that's wrong with it as much as everything FORD got right in this Hot Hatch. COOP

DangerMouse

Doug isn't all bad but he tries to be funny and I end up laughing at him more than his jokes.

I do agree with the touch screen being too far away and the arm rest is annoying but adding a shifter extender did help.

Unfortunately people that review cars only review them based on what they are in stock form. I bought the car knowing it's potential. His Doug score is a joke though.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I fell in love with the car because it's what a true purist sports car used to be. All your money goes to performance and none of it goes to luxury items or creature comfort. It only has the most basic items like power windows/locks, and doesn't have all the other crap like backup camera, nav, sunroof, blind spot indicators, adaptive cruise, etc. Yes, some of them are optional but they don't come standard. Lighter is faster!
Just for discussion purposes, a rear camera wouldn't cost that much in terms of $ or weight (and rear visibility isn't the greatest)... So for a car that has a decent stereo/infotainment system they could have added that sooner, but agree 100% overall with you... SO happy not a penny was wasted on all this safety crap that you really don't need in a small car... I agree with him how the built-in blind spot mirrors are brilliant, Ford's had them on just about everything since '13, just can't believe other car makers haven't followed suit on that one.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Well a penny here and an ounce there... It adds up and pretty soon you end up with a Yaris which is the same cost but about 1/100th as fun. I think rear visibility is fine, notwithstanding the terrible view straight out the back. As far as backing up into a parking spot or driveway or whatever you need a backup camera for, the car is so small that I've never had issues, especially not with visibility. People have been backing up cars with just the mirrors for decades. What changed that now we need a backup camera? Sure, they're helpful on trucks and SUVs so you can get right up on whatever's behind you, but the FiST is so small that you can stop short by 5ft and still have more room in front of you than the F250 parked next to you.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well a penny here and an ounce there... It adds up and pretty soon you end up with a Yaris which is the same cost but about 1/100th as fun. I think rear visibility is fine, notwithstanding the terrible view straight out the back. As far as backing up into a parking spot or driveway or whatever you need a backup camera for, the car is so small that I've never had issues, especially not with visibility. People have been backing up cars with just the mirrors for decades. What changed that now we need a backup camera? Sure, they're helpful on trucks and SUVs so you can get right up on whatever's behind you, but the FiST is so small that you can stop short by 5ft and still have more room in front of you than the F250 parked next to you.
That terrible rear view straight out the back can get little kids ran over, we'll have to agree to disagree if you don't think that's worth it... otherwise I agree on absolutely all the rest, very small and easy to park but that straight out the back visibility is pretty damn bad so that alone justifies it to me... what changed is that the technology is cheap and proven to save lives probably just as much as some safety features that have been around for years.