Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strut Tower Bars?

felopr

After talking/asking to TB Performance owner why he doesn't sell strut towers bars for our cars, he told me it doesn't add anything performance wise to the car after testing it

I added the strut bar after my 6pt and midship brace, and even after my trunk brace. I didn't really notice much as far as handling, but it was worth it just because it got rid off all the rattles and creaks and vibrations in the dash. The general consensus, as reaffirmed by this thread, is that the lower brace is more significant than the upper.
What year is your car? Do you not feel any improvement from the trunk brace? Do you have the torsion beam brace by chance?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What year is your car? Do you not feel any improvement from the trunk brace? Do you have the torsion beam brace by chance?
Trunk brace....god yes...the rear end isn't prone to rolling as easy in turns.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My car is a 2017 and yes I have both of those braces. I actually installed them at the same time so I can't really comment on their individual effect. But in my experience the torsion brace made a bigger effect on handling. Yes the trunk brace did stiffen things up and the suspension is more predictable, but the torsion brace really did help the car rotate. Actually it may rotate too much. It now favors oversteer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My car is a 2017 and yes I have both of those braces. I actually installed them at the same time so I can't really comment on their individual effect. But in my experience the torsion brace made a bigger effect on handling. Yes the trunk brace did stiffen things up and the suspension is more predictable, but the torsion brace really did help the car rotate. Actually it may rotate too much. It now favors oversteer.

That was my concern since 2016s and 2017s have a thicker torsion beam to begin with. I've canceled my brace order.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have you driven a stock '16/'17?
Yeah....drove my FiST to the dealer and wanted to drive a 17 a while back..the salesman looked at me weird upon my request.....the only thing I really noticed that was different..was the infotainment system was nicer than my 15...

Yeah....drove my FiST to the dealer and wanted to drive a 17 a while back..the salesman looked at me weird upon my request.....the only thing I really noticed that was different..was the infotainment system was nicer than my 15...
Does that mean a stock 17 felt the same as your 15 with a brace?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does that mean a stock 17 felt the same as your 15 with a brace?
It was before I put my brace in my 15.....I take cloverleafs at light speed when I am alone...the rear with the brace pushes the limits more and doesn't give you the stomach in your throat as quickly....IMO.

OP
R
Thread Starter #31
That was my concern since 2016s and 2017s have a thicker torsion beam to begin with. I've canceled my brace order.
This is what I was thinking too...

I'm probably going to pick up some H&R sport springs for looks and I love the stock handling of the car so maybe just a 2-point lower chassis brace in the front is all I should consider - perhaps a rear torsion later. It's a DD after all and won't see any real track time, etc. Running stage 1 cobb at the moment and haven't even put in the RMM yet on my 2017.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
if you like the stock suspension and the way it handles then you may ruin it with those H & R Springs. I believe those are progressive rate Springs. You can get used to them but they are definitely a little wonky as you steer into a turn and wait for the Springs to take a set.

You are on the right track with the 2-point brace and rmm. It completely transforms the car and you will love it even more.

OP
R
Thread Starter #33
if you like the stock suspension and the way it handles then you may ruin it with those H & R Springs. I believe those are progressive rate Springs. You can get used to them but they are definitely a little wonky as you steer into a turn and wait for the Springs to take a set.

You are on the right track with the 2-point brace and rmm. It completely transforms the car and you will love it even more.

Awesome, that's great to hear. Yeah I don't mind the progressive rate too much, I've had both linear and progressive on past cars and the linear rate springs felt a bit much for daily driving because they aren't as compliant over little bumps and things. Are factory springs linear rate? I've never even looked into that.

I was considering the Mountune springs, but I've seen some negative stories on the forums here about uneven drops and things like that. I just want something with a slightly improved spring rate over stock with a 1-1.5" drop. I'll hang onto my stock springs so I can swap back if it's ever needed.