Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strut Tower Bars?

Hi All,

I noticed that Mountune is having a 4th of July sale with 15% off so I was thinking about ordering their springs and strut tower bar. After reading some of the reviews on the springs, I think I've decided to hold off and get the H&R sport springs instead.

However, I wanted to find out if anyone has the mountune (or another brand) of strut tower bar and if they offer much, if any, improvement to handling or chassis feel?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
If it is your first brace then I think your money is better spent on a lower torsion brace. a basic 2 point lower torsion brace makes a huge difference in steering response and handling. It also helps to reduce wheel hop. The 4 point And 6 point Are even better though maybe not entirely necessary for most people. The strut Tower brace helps but not as much as the lower torsion brace. I have one and do not regret it but I also have every other brace. The strut Tower brace was last and just about eliminated all my creaks and rattles from the dashboard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rivy

Thread Starter #4
If it is your first brace then I think your money is better spent on a lower torsion brace. a basic 2 point lower torsion brace makes a huge difference in steering response and handling. It also helps to reduce wheel hop. The 4 point And 6 point Are even better though maybe not entirely necessary for most people. The strut Tower brace helps but not as much as the lower torsion brace. I have one and do not regret it but I also have every other brace. The strut Tower brace was last and just about eliminated all my creaks and rattles from the dashboard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! Is there a lower torsion brace you recommend?

OP
R

Rivy

Thread Starter #5
Our cars don't really benefit from the strut braces. A lower chasis brace makes a big difference in torque steer and wheel hop. Money better spent

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Any reason why they don't benefit? Im pretty sure this is the first "performance" car I've had that didn't come with one from the factory. Also what torsion brace would you recommend?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the info. Any reason why they don't benefit? Im pretty sure this is the first "performance" car I've had that didn't come with one from the factory. Also what torsion brace would you recommend?
The towers are right against the cowl for stiffness .

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the reply! Is there a lower torsion brace you recommend?
I am using all Pierce Motorsports braces so that's who I recommend. TB Performance also makes them and they get good reviews also.

Zormecteon

I have the mountune strut tower brace and definitely think it's worth the $$. Some of the creaks and groans from the interior are gone. Others say to use 4 or 6 point braces. I have no experience with those, so I can't say how much better they are. But for a simple stiffening on a non-tracked car the strut brace IS and improvement.

HBEcoBeaST

Our cars are very small and already pretty reinforced in that area.

I know of two people that noticed no difference with the strut tower brace when they installed a lower chasis brace. Maybe the strut brace makes a difference on its own, but with a lower chasis brace installed both people said the strut brace wasn't noticeable.

Most people go with TBPerformance or Pierce Motorsport (who is having a 10% off sale JULY4 coupon). Mountune makes braces too. I'm sure all the 2pt braces work the same. I'm personally going 4pt since I plan on a turbo upgrade next year.

If you want under hood bling go for the strut tower brace. If you want the greatest handling and acceleration upgrade, lower chasis brace.

I have both the tower brace from Mountune, as well as their 4-point chassis brace. Can't tell which offers what effect. But it's a very noticeable difference in long, hard corners. Also, when changing directions rapidly.

The Pierce lower 2-point was my second chassis mod (after RMM) back when my FiST had 2k on the odometer. Noticed an improvement in mid-corner bumps. Worthy upgrade.

6k miles after the lower 2-point I added the mountune strut tower brace. Removed it 6k miles later during my weight-reduction phase (3.8 lbs). Ran the local canyon without, and then again with the strut tower brace back on. Noticed an improvement, but not as drastic as the lower 2-point. Kept the upper strut brace on.

HBEcoBeaST

The Pierce lower 2-point was my second chassis mod (after RMM) back when my FiST had 2k on the odometer. Noticed an improvement in mid-corner bumps. Worthy upgrade.

6k miles after the lower 2-point I added the mountune strut tower brace. Removed it 6k miles later during my weight-reduction phase (3.8 lbs). Ran the local canyon without, and then again with the strut tower brace back on. Noticed an improvement, but not as drastic as the lower 2-point. Kept the upper strut brace on.
Pretty much the same feedback I got. I bet it makes more of a difference on it's own, but coupled with a lower chasis brace the gains aren't as noticeable.

OP
R

Rivy

Thread Starter #15
Seems like everyone is adding them AFTER doing lower braces and not noticing much as a result. Anyone out there have JUST a strut bar or tried a strut bar on its own before doing any other chassis braces?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I added the strut bar after my 6pt and midship brace, and even after my trunk brace. I didn't really notice much as far as handling, but it was worth it just because it got rid off all the rattles and creaks and vibrations in the dash. The general consensus, as reaffirmed by this thread, is that the lower brace is more significant than the upper.

Zormecteon

Seems like everyone is adding them AFTER doing lower braces and not noticing much as a result. Anyone out there have JUST a strut bar or tried a strut bar on its own before doing any other chassis braces?

That's me.. That's me.. Wooah... Ooooh.. That's me. Only EVER a strut brace (see my earlier post)

OP
R

Rivy

Thread Starter #19
I have the mountune strut tower brace and definitely think it's worth the $$. Some of the creaks and groans from the interior are gone. Others say to use 4 or 6 point braces. I have no experience with those, so I can't say how much better they are. But for a simple stiffening on a non-tracked car the strut brace IS and improvement.
It seems a few people have confirmed that the strut bar helps with interior creaks and groans. Did you notice much difference in the driving feel or handling after putting it on?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I am running a strut brace only. I have to say I can't really notice much difference at all other than more traction during hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear, BT and Quaife diff with around 300 wheel torque.

IMG_2646.JPG