Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

180F Ford Motorcraft Thermostat now available

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No one said anything about being a lemming. He stated a valid reason to use Motorcraft fluids while under warranty. Some people actually like to keep those things. We're not all rebels, adventurous people like you. You are my hero!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I am No Hero.....I am just the Lowly Resident Troll here on the Forum.....just like a mushroom...I am Kept in the dark and fed shit day in and day out.[ridinghorse]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'd rather not have a product I used cause a warranty issue, but that's me. To each his own. It's your car and your warranty. I believe he was just explaining the logic behind his decision to use Ford products...no need to give him a hard time about it. I get what he's saying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I FULLY understand this viewpoint, but in this case, (most of) these additives are totally benign as concerns both the chemistry of Motorcraft/aftermarket coolants, AND any components of the cooling system/engine cooling passages.

This is because they are mostly just surfactants which reduce the surface tension of water/coolant, and help prevent cavitation, and local boiling/'hot spots' in the cooling system, and do not interfere with, nor react with/catalyze with the chemistry of our specced coolants.
(Again, the one I personally would not chance, due to personal experience in the very similar chemistry to our spec coolant, Dex Cool, is the Red Line RED Water Wetter.)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Not everyone is obsessed with this factory engineering OEM spec craziness like you. We all have our opinions and we're entitled to them. Life is pretty boring when you follow the book.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I am trying to warn people there are additives that will cause harm to those that care. I keep my cars for many years so yes I am more anal than most as to dumping something and hope. I expect my cars to go 200K miles or more without mechanical failures. I prefer boring over waiting and paying for repairs, some are obsessed with thinking they are smarter than the designers, I'm not. Old Chinese curse, "May your life be interesting". I have had all the "interesting times" with service issues I want in life, you are welcome to them to write your own book. I will stick to Ford, Mountune and Ford performance to insure no emission fails, warranty issues or reliability issues. To each their own.[wrenchin]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Flawed logic is flawed. For every car that hit 200k miles without issue and only using OEM materials, I can find another car that hit 200k miles without issue and never used OEM materials. It is impossible to prove that a car could or could not have performed better if you did X or didn't do Y. You can't go back in time for a redo.

The Fiesta is a $20k hot hatch, not a $200k sports car. To put complete faith in Ford engineering is a bit naive. Just look at the OEM radiator. It is completely underspec'd from the factory.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The OEM radiator is a joke. I could tell when I saw the size of the coolant hoses. They looked like they were off a 1990 Honda Civic. I think we can all agree the radiator is just to small.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
I am No Hero.....I am just the Lowly Resident Troll here on the Forum.....just like a mushroom...I am Kept in the dark and fed shit day in and day out.[ridinghorse]
Who let you out of the closet again. They need to be banned lol. Jk

me32

1000 Post Club
I have a question for those that are putting in the new 180 tstat what are you doing about getting software updates to have the fan speed/temp adjustments? I know for the recall that there is software adjustments made for the new tstat and fan.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
I have a question for those that are putting in the new 180 tstat what are you doing about getting software updates to have the fan speed/temp adjustments? I know for the recall that there is software adjustments made for the new tstat and fan.
IMO the recall is a joke. It's only to protect Ford, since the issue has been acknowledged worldwide they now have to by law provide a fix at least here in the U.S. If we break down the parts and complementing software to acknowledge the new parts, it isn't much really. All those parts add more potential points of leaks. IMO, the main thing worth doing is the 180 thermostat. Coolant level sensor? Do the '16+MY have one? Wonder why the '16+MY don't have to recall parts and software? What's different with the '16+MY? of what's not so different with the '16+MY? There's a whole thread about overheating issues dedicated for them. LOL

me32

1000 Post Club
IMO the recall is a joke. It's only to protect Ford, since the issue has been acknowledged worldwide they now have to by law provide a fix at least here in the U.S. If we break down the parts and complementing software to acknowledge the new parts, it isn't much really. All those parts add more potential points of leaks. IMO, the main thing worth doing is the 180 thermostat. Coolant level sensor? Do the '16+MY have one? Wonder why the '16+MY don't have to recall parts and software? What's different with the '16+MY? of what's not so different with the '16+MY? There's a whole thread about overheating issues dedicated for them. LOL
That doesnt answer my question one bit. I want to know what the MY2016+ ST people are doing about the software updates for Fan/temps when they install a new lower 180 tstat. Now i understand that just installing the new 180 tstat will allow more flow because it will open fully faster but what about adjusting the fan to try and keeping the coolant cooler in the small radiator.

Part of the recall for the 14/15 is a software update. Not just a stupid coolant level sensor.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #70
That doesnt answer my question one bit. I want to know what the MY2016+ ST people are doing about the software updates for Fan/temps when they install a new lower 180 tstat. Now i understand that just installing the new 180 tstat will allow more flow because it will open fully faster but what about adjusting the fan to try and keeping the coolant cooler in the small radiator.

Part of the recall for the 14/15 is a software update. Not just a stupid coolant level sensor.
From the documents I've seen the software update is just to recognize the coolant level sensor and configure an idiot light. No changes to fan speed.

me32

1000 Post Club
From the documents I've seen the software update is just to recognize the coolant level sensor and configure an idiot light. No changes to fan speed.
That doesn't tell use anything about software updates. Installing a 180 tstat will more than likely have a adjustment for fan speed/temps from the manufacturer. Theres a reason they are adding a lower tstat and adjusting for fan is also need to fully take advantage of the new tstat. Almost all software updates dont provide much or any information to the individual. Only way to know for sure would be to pull the pcm software after the recall

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #72
I would suggest someone reaching out to Cobb if their really curious. They should be able to see as they had the recall done on their shop car, so they could make updates to their code to work with the recall software update. Here's their firmware update release notes on 7/18/18 https://static.cobbtuning.com/support/releasenotes/AP3-FOR-001.html

Anyone curious to see the recall procedure it's here. There's no fan speed check. If there was a change they would check it to make sure the fan activates at the new predetermined temp range, but they don't test it because there's no change noted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s7dtx9Rv8H_rYGe9Cj-w2BS5OI2sttK_/view

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I am trying to warn people there are additives that will cause harm to those that care. I keep my cars for many years so yes I am more anal than most as to dumping something and hope. I expect my cars to go 200K miles or more without mechanical failures. I prefer boring over waiting and paying for repairs, some are obsessed with thinking they are smarter than the designers, I'm not. Old Chinese curse, "May your life be interesting". I have had all the "interesting times" with service issues I want in life, you are welcome to them to write your own book. I will stick to Ford, Mountune and Ford performance to insure no emission fails, warranty issues or reliability issues. To each their own.[wrenchin]
Like all the Teflon and after DuPont forbade the use, ptfe additives people clogged oil passages with in the 80's.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

What does it matter what the settings are for the cooling fan? Fan speed is dependent on the water temperature. If the 180F thermostat can keep the water cooler, then why should the fan try harder?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club

That doesn't tell use anything about software updates. Installing a 180 tstat will more than likely have a adjustment for fan speed/temps from the manufacturer. Theres a reason they are adding a lower tstat and adjusting for fan is also need to fully take advantage of the new tstat. Almost all software updates dont provide much or any information to the individual. Only way to know for sure would be to pull the pcm software after the recall
I see what you're saying. Most newer models 'should' already have the fixes/updates and things done to them before they come out of the factory which is why the new FiST's don't have any recalls at this moment *knock on wood*.

I would suggest someone reaching out to Cobb if their really curious. They should be able to see as they had the recall done on their shop car, so they could make updates to their code to work with the recall software update. Here's their firmware update release notes on 7/18/18 https://static.cobbtuning.com/support/releasenotes/AP3-FOR-001.html

Anyone curious to see the recall procedure it's here. There's no fan speed check. If there was a change they would check it to make sure the fan activates at the new predetermined temp range, but they don't test it because there's no change noted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s7dtx9Rv8H_rYGe9Cj-w2BS5OI2sttK_/view
This.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Like all the Teflon and after DuPont forbade the use, ptfe additives people clogged oil passages with in the 80's.
The real problem with the Teflon treatments was cleaning blocks before honing cylinders and bearing surfaces. The Teflon gummed up the stones and made a mess of the process. Some shops refused to do the work on them. Rebuilding the engines in the 60's and 70's was common, no so common today with better engines. Fluid's in today's cars have many more additives added to them, anti-freeze is no longer just Polypropylene Glycol and a rust inhibitor. Adding a third party product is foolish without proof of no harm, the word "compatible" does not mean it has been tested in all cars and fluids. The additives that turns your coolant to jello says "compatible"!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #78
I have no problems using Redline Waterwetter with Dexcool. Many issues that occur with coolant additives is user error in not executing proper preparation.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Also I'd like to add, don't treat the owners manual like the bible
It is the "Bible" as to spec's for your cars fluids and maintenance. If it is not please tell us what is. I would NEVER trust a third parties recommendation without confirming it meets the minimum Ford/BMW/Nissan/Dodge spec's on my cars. That is just common sense. It is your car and you are free to do as you like with it but to imply the manual is somehow lacking in information is incorrect. You may have all the fluids, spec's and do's and do not's memorized but I can assure you the great majority does not especially with multiple cars. I have 45K left on my power-train warranty and will use what the manual recommends to insure no warranty problems. There are many reasons to own an ST and many different expectations of it, mine is long term ownership and enjoyment. To each his own. [lovest]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
It is the "Bible" as to spec's for your cars fluids and maintenance. If it is not please tell us what is. I would NEVER trust a third parties recommendation without confirming it meets the minimum Ford/BMW/Nissan/Dodge spec's on my cars. That is just common sense. It is your car and you are free to do as you like with it but to imply the manual is somehow lacking in information is incorrect. You may have all the fluids, spec's and do's and do not's memorized but I can assure you the great majority does not especially with multiple cars. I have 45K left on my power-train warranty and will use what the manual recommends to insure no warranty problems. There are many reasons to own an ST and many different expectations of it, mine is long term ownership and enjoyment. To each his own. [lovest]
You'll notice a common trend with owners manuals. What do they want you to use and nothing else? Motorcraft, because thats Ford. What parts do they want you to use? Motorcraft or Ford parts(Yes I know Motorcraft is Ford but they're two separate branches). This is why I tell people the owners manual isn't the bible. People who follow the bible disown any other brand thats not what the manual recommends. Obviously Ford will recommend Motorcraft but is that ALL you should/need to use? Highly debatable.

Now when discussing if its still under warranty, then obviously use OEM since it would void the warranty. But once out? Its an open world.

I also plan to keep this car for years and years as I am not the type to sell and buy my vehicles left and right. So props for that