Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

180F Ford Motorcraft Thermostat now available

Sekred

1000 Post Club
just saw this, I missed it earlier. Those spring clamps had me considering using worm gears instead when things were going back on, but alas the OE spring clamps are really the best IMO. The thing is they have to be positioned in a certain way and location which makes it challenging in the tight confines. Good thing is I don't foresee having to remove those again for a long time LOL

I agree, the OEM clamps are a constant tension because of the sprung design. I really don't like worm drive clamps on Rad hoses or boost hoses either or fuel lines or anywhere really. Just my opinion.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
just saw this, I missed it earlier. Those spring clamps had me considering using worm gears instead when things were going back on, but alas the OE spring clamps are really the best IMO. The thing is they have to be positioned in a certain way and location which makes it challenging in the tight confines. Good thing is I don't foresee having to remove those again for a long time LOL
Yeah that is normally what I do with those spring clamps. If it is that an area where they are hard to reach, I replace them with worm gear clamps. I would have done that with the smaller bypass hose clamp but I never took off that clamp LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
for the lower thermostat housing bolts, I think removing the AC compressor, or at least loosening it off its mounts, is the best option. By getting the compressor out of the way, you can easily get your fingers in there and manipulate the bolts. You can also easily access them with a ratchet and simple extension and socket. The AC compressor is attached with only three 15 mm bolts which are very easily accessed from the bottom. It takes less than a minute to undo them and gives you so much more room to work on the thermostat housing.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #124
Yep, I did have to loosen the ac compressor bolts to get the housing out. My photos show the bolts loosely out [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #125
here's my magnetic antenna tool and how I used it to screw the lower bolts back on from the top blind without the risk of losing them.

view and access from the bottom with oil filter removed. BTW, if I had to do it again i wouldn't bother removing the filter now that I know what tools i need and how to do it with the filter in place. But it was my first time, so I was exploring low risk ways, LOL.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'll pass on that. I can already tell the difference in water temp with the new tstat. Now it likes to sit around 195 whereas before it would sit around 220. We'll see how well it manages the heat when I start driving it like an asshole. I may be a little premature on this, but I don't think we will have any more 95+ days this year. So the true test may have to wait til next year.

That's excellent. Much cheaper fix than a radiator.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's excellent. Much cheaper fix than a radiator.
Yeah....but it'll suck in the winter for those in the northern states though....I had a 180° in my SSEI and in the winter time was alittle cold...er.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
While driving this morning when it was 40 degrees out and my coolant hovered around 182-185 I've debated on installing the 180 T-stat with the Mountune rad as it can get near single digits here in the winter. This would be my first time using a colder T-stat so I'm a noob when it comes to things like that. I dunno how people can use a 160 T-stat unless its soley a track car.

Seeing as its not too bad to install the T-stat, I'll probably install the Mountune rad then decide later on if I want the 180 stat in or not. My worry is just when it gets colder outside I don't want the car to be too "cold" when warmed up.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
While driving this morning when it was 40 degrees out and my coolant hovered around 182-185 I've debated on installing the 180 T-stat with the Mountune rad as it can get near single digits here in the winter. This would be my first time using a colder T-stat so I'm a noob when it comes to things like that. I dunno how people can use a 160 T-stat unless its soley a track car.

Seeing as its not too bad to install the T-stat, I'll probably install the Mountune rad then decide later on if I want the 180 stat in or not. My worry is just when it gets colder outside I don't want the car to be too "cold" when warmed up.
The vehicle will get warm....But it wont be the nice hot air you usually get when you set it to max when its warmed up though. If it was me and I already had a mountune radiator or Mishimoto I would just leave it.[thumb]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Fan logic is unchanged so really there is no risk of overcooling. I have the 180F thermostat and stock radiator and even in the cold weather we have right now, it does not run any colder than 186. Even at 180 I am not worried about it.

If I upgraded the radiator, I would leave the stock thermostat, especially if you live in a cold climate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just put one of these in my partners FiST (as well as installing our roommates 160* Mishi one a few weeks ago). Both were done at the same time as the radiator so I had a LOT more room to work with, but I'm really glad it can be done without removing the front end. I want to run it on my car and see if the stock radiator becomes sufficient for track days before I blow $500 on a Mishimoto rad (they're making a killing off my household)

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #132
So I observed the 90% price increase of this thermostat 3 months ago. Still less than the Mishi. Last I checked whoosh had the best deal after the price hike. I picked mine up for $18, tough to find that now.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
So I observed the 90% price increase of this thermostat 3 months ago. Still less than the Mishi. Last I checked whoosh had the best deal after the price hike. I picked mine up for $18, tough to find that now.

Wow yeah, just checked what I paid at work and it was aruond $14. Walk in customer price is now $45! I would have paid $24 if I bought it now instead of earlier...

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #134
Wow yeah, just checked what I paid at work and it was aruond $14. Walk in customer price is now $45! I would have paid $24 if I bought it now instead of earlier...
I think they caught on. What was really designed and made for the 14-15 recall campaign, was being wiped out of inventory by performance enthusiasts. Can’t execute a recall without parts, so they curbed it.

All,

I just got my coolant recall done yesterday and it said that the thermostat was replaced. So I talked to the service adviser and found out that they replaced my old thermostat with the 180F thermostat (he showed me his computer and sure enough, it does say 180F thermostat). Has anyone gotten theirs done and got replaced with a 180F one?

^^^This is S.O.P. for the recall, and they are not following the letter of the recall if they do not use the 180* 'stat. [wink]
Oh, really? I didn't know that. I tried reading most of the messages on this thread but I didn't know that. Sorry, I thought it was a good news for all lol.

I just found out I need to get the 180 Stat in my FiST. I was wondering if you all used the same spring when you change the thermostat