Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Set your driver's side coilover height higher to account for the weight of the driver"

I was watching this coilover install video and he claims you should set your height higher on the driver's side to account for the driver. Am I crazy and this is a known practice or does this guy not know wtf he is talking about?

His comment is at about the 2:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u882gvhChNY

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was watching this coilover install video and he claims you should set your height higher on the driver's side to account for the driver. Am I crazy and this is a known practice or does this guy not know wtf he is talking about?

His comment is at about the 2:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u882gvhChNY
I have had to set alignments with customers in their vehicles due to them being of large stature to compensate for irregular tire wear from the car after they get in the vehicle....Try telling someone that...so it has some validity to it

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
wraith
Thread Starter #5
Wouldn't it sit crooked while parked when the driver is not in it?

When corner balancing or aligning a race car, a lot of times samdbags are placed in the drivers seat to simulate the weight of a driver. You want the car balanced with you in it

When corner balancing or aligning a race car, a lot of times samdbags are placed in the drivers seat to simulate the weight of a driver. You want the car balanced with you in it
(bmw and I think mb do this in their shops when aligning a vehicle.)

I got lucky with my NA doing exactly this. Use your best judgement. Took it in to the shop to get corner balanced after the install and the owner came out and said "Man I dont think I can get it much closer than this." Turns out I had corner balanced it myself during the garage floor coilover install to within ~15lbs on each corner, IIRC.

OP
wraith
Thread Starter #10
Hmm, I guess maybe I should think about it since I'm 300lbs. I wonder if the alignment shop will let me sit in the car...

Might be looking like three wheel motion in a Dr. Dre video if I account for my weight.[giddy]

I was gonna say that you won't see a difference on a parked car. But to offset 300lbs, you probably will. At the end of the day, I'm way more concerned about how the car drives rather how it looks.