Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A Pillar B pillar vinyl tape

Just wondering if anybody has removed these completely to reveal the color underneath? I had both door pillars replaced under warranty due to wrinkles at the base and a tear. Through the tear I saw white. Wondering if it would look good without. Tried to imagine it. Not sure.[confuse]

Glad to hear that someone else was having issue with the vinyl on the door pillars and that the warranty covered it.

Didn't know its white underneath though!

OP
Silverevo9
Thread Starter #5
Yeah, the vinyl tape is garbage. Its Ford cheaping out. Using the tape instead if paint. The wrinkling occurs at the base due to the weather belt strip pressing against the tape. Whenever you role the windows up and down it moves the belt slightly up and down. Thus creating wrinkles.

Just noticed this the other day. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to take in for repair. I'm still under warranty.

I have the same happening at the c pillar side of the rear doors. I wonder if the dealership would cover it since mine is a CPO. Regardless, the original manufacturer's warranty is still valid since I only have 15k miles on the car.

I was toying with the idea of stripping the tape off and wrapping them in carbon fiber. Good to know that they are painted the body color underneath.

Yeah, the vinyl tape is garbage. Its Ford cheaping out. Using the tape instead if paint. The wrinkling occurs at the base due to the weather belt strip pressing against the tape. Whenever you role the windows up and down it moves the belt slightly up and down. Thus creating wrinkles.
Less than 500 miles on my car and yeah, saw this and noticed how terrible it looks :(

OP
Silverevo9
Thread Starter #9
I couldn't handle it. Such an eye soar. The dealership couldn't handle the job. They outsourced the work to a body shop. The body shop called in a guy that did installs on tint and wraps. It came out perfect but was sort of a hassle. I'd pull them off but not sure about the white all around.

I'd love to see what it looks like, I was going to rip it off one day but decided against it without knowing what it would look like

cxwrench

I'm sure someone on the forum can do a quick photoshop of what it might look like w/ the tape removed...someone?

If you remove the tape, you have your body color underneath. In my opinion, it does not look good - think base model Corolla from about 10 years ago.
I had a fluke accident in my garage, and spilled a chemical on one of my doors that etched the tape and the beltline molding (rubber part that goes along the bottom edge of the window, and I replaced both myself. It's a chore, but if you're careful it's easily done. I peeled off the tape on the affected door, and looked at it for a few minutes to decide if I wanted to just rip the tape off of all of the other doors on my white car. My immediate impression was that it would not look good.

On my first attempt, the tape wrinkled at the bottom where it meets the molding. Having done a lot of vinyl graphics, it occurred to me that when the molding pushes on the freshly installed tape, the tape's adhesive has not yet cured, allowing the molding to push on it, making the wrinkles that are common on this car. I bought and installed another set of window tape, and let the tape cure for a week before I put the molding back on. No wrinkles. Sucky part is that you have to destroy the molding to remove it, can't be reused.

Last edited:

the duke

Has anyone experienced rust under the vinyl? I have some bubbling above the mirror between the door and a-pillar glass and I’m trying to figure it what’s underneath.

Has anyone experienced rust under the vinyl? I have some bubbling above the mirror between the door and a-pillar glass and I’m trying to figure it what’s underneath.
Ive got a spec at the lower edge under the tape i pulled it off and am going to buff and replace

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I did. Its a time consuming job. I have gloss glitter black in its place now. Id like to re do it though. Im a real amateur at vynil wrap.