Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

Traction Control Preference for Driving on the Street

• Traction Control On (I do not press the ESC button)

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Sport Mode (Press ESC Button)

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Traction Control Off (Hold ESC Button for 4 seconds)

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When you hop in your car on a normal day, how do you set your traction control? For this discussion, let's assume the roads are dry.

For me, I immediately turn my traction control fully off (Hold ESC button for 4 seconds) before I take off for the day whether just commuting to work or taking a spirited drive through the back roads.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I've never touched the button. I've never needed to. It's the street, I drive like a normal person!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not sure why anyone would need to turn it fully off on the street. If you put it in sport mode it's really only going to intervene if you severely fuck up or you're trying to do a burnout for some reason. For most daily driving I just don't even bother touching it because I'm not breaking traction in the busy suburb I live in anyway. If I head out a bit further for a spirited run I'll put it in sport mode.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I only turn it fully off when I go for a Canyon Run.

Otherwise, I just let it be.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
It does have a different feel with it off that I prefer and I believe it uses your brakes less. I am always coming and going though so although I usually turn it off, sometimes I'm rushing and forget to turn it off or I turn it off on my way to my destination.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I sometimes even turn it (as fully off as we are able to do) off in the wet, in an attempt to stave off that first brake job as long as possible. ;)

If on my RS-RRs in the wet I will usually go for the sport mode, or now if caught out in the snow on my winter, or 'intermediate' (factory wheels/Pilot Sport AS/3s) setup.

I mean ESC is essentially trying to control uncommanded yaw (i.e. the car rotating more than it should based on your steering input). Typical examples of this would be a loss of control due to poor traction (i.e. wet road) or lift-off oversteer. You shouldn't really be intentionally oversteering when driving around town, so I don't see the point of turning it off all the time. Of course, for more spirited drives on open roads where there is less risk of you overcooking it and flying into other cars, have at it. I personally think sport mode is a good balance that allows the car to be a bit more tail happy and keeps me from really fucking up on public roads.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Not sure why anyone would need to turn it fully off on the street. If you put it in sport mode it's really only going to intervene if you severely fuck up or you're trying to do a burnout for some reason. For most daily driving I just don't even bother touching it because I'm not breaking traction in the busy suburb I live in anyway. If I head out a bit further for a spirited run I'll put it in sport mode.
I feel like mine is always intervening upon acceleration. A small loss of traction tends to cause it to over-correct using the brakes. I feel I get smoother results by keeping ESC off and using my right foot to modulate the throttle. I typically accelerate to PSL + 10 at a solid pace and although I do live in a suburb, I would not necessarily describe it as busy..

I mean ESC is essentially trying to control uncommanded yaw (i.e. the car rotating more than it should based on your steering input). Typical examples of this would be a loss of control due to poor traction (i.e. wet road) or lift-off oversteer. You shouldn't really be intentionally oversteering when driving around town, so I don't see the point of turning it off all the time. Of course, for more spirited drives on open roads where there is less risk of you overcooking it and flying into other cars, have at it. I personally think sport mode is a good balance that allows the car to be a bit more tail happy and keeps me from really fucking up on public roads.
I believe what you are saying, but the traction control tends to interfere once body roll exceeds a certain point. I also feel like getting the back end to rotate around a corner just a bit (in a controlled manner) and oversteer are two different things. The traction control tends to interfere sooner then you suggest in my car..

For all the folks that leave it on, do you notice the dash light come on when the traction control intervenes or does it never intervene with your style of driving?

I have stickier tires than stock, so maybe I just am not encountering it under normal conditions. The only time it kicks in in normal mode on my summer tires is if I floor it from a dig, if I'm hooning it (in which case I'd switch to sport), or if it's wet. On winter tires it happens much more easily so I'll often put it in sport mode. In sport mode and summer tires, I have only noticed it kick in when on track or going hard on a canyon run. It's a little annoying, but I've been thankful for it more than once.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I feel like mine is always intervening upon acceleration. A small loss of traction tends to cause it to over-correct using the brakes.
Agreed.

I do not launch my car from dead stops for the simple fact that all my motor mounts are stock. However I still notice the difference upon acceleration alone...not to mention when in the turns.

But it's just a preference. I respect the decisions of those who feel different and who prefer driving with ESC on. We all have different tastes afterall. It's interesting to see all of those differences on here.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I feel like mine is always intervening upon acceleration. A small loss of traction tends to cause it to over-correct using the brakes. I feel I get smoother results by keeping ESC off and using my right foot to modulate the throttle. I typically accelerate to PSL + 10 at a solid pace and although I do live in a suburb, I would not necessarily describe it as busy..

I believe what you are saying, but the traction control tends to interfere once body roll exceeds a certain point. I also feel like getting the back end to rotate around a corner just a bit (in a controlled manner) and oversteer are two different things. The traction control tends to interfere sooner then you suggest in my car..

For all the folks that leave it on, do you notice the dash light come on when the traction control intervenes or does it never intervene with your style of driving?
HA!

My light is always flickering!

I drive a bit aggressively most of the time when not in bumper to bumper freeway traffic.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I think the nannies eat up your front brakes more than anything. When I replaced my fronts at 25k miles, my rears looked like they were new. I only ever go into Sport mode when I'm gonna launch it from a stop.

My traction control light seems to be always flashing in my normal driving around town but I'm not complaining too much. Sure, I could lift just a little bit to dial back the understeer, or I could just let the computer do it for me. heh.

A7xogg

Cobb traction control at setting 5. Used to be sport mode but the Cobb shit is way better

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #19
Agreed.

I do not launch my car from dead stops for the simple fact that all my motor mounts are stock. However I still notice the difference upon acceleration alone...not to mention when in the turns.

But it's just a preference. I respect the decisions of those who feel different and who prefer driving with ESC on. We all have different tastes afterall. It's interesting to see all of those differences on here.

I like seeing everyone's thoughts on this as well. I guess I am a bit surprised people leave it on but it definitely makes sense as to why they do. Obviously everyone's driving style is different to so that is a factor.

Jerickson88

I don’t touch it. It’s fun to watch the little light on the dash flash when I lay in the pedal.