Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would you swap up to a new Fist?

I just keep thinking about trading in my 2016 Kona Fist with 39,000 miles on it to a new orange spice. If i get it traded in for what i owe on it 13k. Would it make sense to get a new 2018 orange spice and keep basically the same payment? The obvious answers are, no pay mine off in a 3 years and maintain it . Or trade it in for 5 more years of payment and reset the odometer and condition of the car. I just wanna know mainly what would you do?

My thinking is my car now is due for new brakes and tires within the next month and has 39,000 miles on it. Paint isn’t 100% perfect anymore and the interior has its small imperfections but still a solid car.

My dealer has a new orange spice st1 on the lot that is new and doesn’t need anything for another 40,000 miles when I’ll be in the same situation i am in now. Is that worth the upgrade while mine still has good trade in value? Are fiesta’s reliable enough to take it to 70,000...100,000 miles to get good value off mine now and a new one isn’t necessary? What do you all think?

Thanks I’ll listen to your answers.

I would say no just because I, myself, am guilty of having a car payment my entire adulthood. I have only paid off one car, took it to the dealer and traded for a FiST (my 08 MSP3). I vote, keep it, pay it off and buy something awesome like a used raptor to tow your dedicated track car (your paid off, gutted fist with a rollcage!!!), and ride in style with two of Ford's greatest creations!

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I just traded in my base molten 15 with 73k on it for a new loaded orange spice. Mine had bunch of autocross use and was starting to show age from it. But I could have prob just went over the suspension etc on it and been fine. I just wanted new one before couldn’t get one anymore.

OP
Thread Starter #4
You both hit the nail on the head on how i think. I have this car to mainly to daily and rip autocross for cheapest as possible. With then not making it going further i just won’t have this opportunity again. Also I test drove a focus st today aswell to compare and man the shifter feels so out of position like up high it’s hard to get comfortable and shift correctly. Never once felt faster than the Fist I was disappointed in the focus

Jerickson88

You both hit the nail on the head on how i think. I have this car to mainly to daily and rip autocross for cheapest as possible. With then not making it going further i just won’t have this opportunity again. Also I test drove a focus st today aswell to compare and man the shifter feels so out of position like up high it’s hard to get comfortable and shift correctly. Never once felt faster than the Fist I was disappointed in the focus
I loaned my car to a friend for about 6 months due to me having a second vehicle and a company van, so when he returned the car he bought a 2018 FoST. He feels it’s a much faster car, and it’s more comfortable but he didn’t get the same fluttery feeling when he drove the FiST. Bigger, faster doesn’t equal more fun. A co worker has a 2012 Mustang GT. It’ll roast my car (not as bad as he thought) but he couldn’t get over how fun and functional my car is.

I’m keeping mine until it’s toast. Then I’ll get a new econo rocket at that point. I intend to see 200k in this car.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, it's too far back and I always used to have raise my shoulder when shifting. I think Fiesta feels faster because of its size and weight, I'm sure the Focus is quicker but probably not by much. After owning both, I prefer the smaller Fiesta.

me32

1000 Post Club
I would say yes. You get a new bumper to bumper warranty. And you get a new fist in the color you want. Win win to me. Also you owe 13k still so your basically extending you loan longer. One thing to check on. Rates have changed so it may be a good idea to check on those 1st to make sure youll have the same payment.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I loaned my car to a friend for about 6 months due to me having a second vehicle and a company van, so when he returned the car he bought a 2018 FoST. He feels it’s a much faster car, and it’s more comfortable but he didn’t get the same fluttery feeling when he drove the FiST. Bigger, faster doesn’t equal more fun. A co worker has a 2012 Mustang GT. It’ll roast my car (not as bad as he thought) but he couldn’t get over how fun and functional my car is.

I’m keeping mine until it’s toast. Then I’ll get a new econo rocket at that point. I intend to see 200k in this car.
Same here. It may be my last car.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I would say NO.
There is nothing wrong with my '14.
The only update would be Sync 2 vs. Sync 3 and my Sync 2 does everything I need or want.
Besides, my '14 is paid for and I don't need another car payment.

Dave

I have pondered the thought.....
I do love my Kona 16" and although I do "Enjoy" it, I don't track it and with only 7600mi now and 0% I think I'll keep it. Who knows, I may FINALLY pay off a car [wiggle]

Don’t give up your ‘16 if you want a glove box light and little passenger-side strip of interior lighting ;) from what I understand, ford ditched those minor details, I wonder what else... probably doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things though.

I'm thinking of doing it for a couple of reasons, I bought mine used and the previous owner was not gentle with it:
Lots of rust for a 2014, on the tailgate (the part on the outside of the rubber under the door), the underbody, the connection between the downpipe and the catback is super rusted (one of the nuts is eaten by rust).
Shitty paint. Knowing this, I would have clear bras and clear tapes and other kind of protection where I know it's fragile (like between the rear bumber and quarter panel).
I did not get the color I wanted. I wanted Orange with Orange seats, got black with grey seats. It was cheap though, so there's that.

It would end up more expensive for me though. Short of a 5 years lease, it becomes more expensive by about 75 to 150 depending on the term. That's without counting any protection I want to put on top of it.

The good news is even though I had a 3k bubble from my previous car, they are selling for about what I still owe on it (it was that good of a deal really), so in theory I would be making money off of it.

In your case, it seems like you still have a good car? I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're not, I think it comes down on preference in your case.

Imo with how cheap new ones have been running it is worth it... but only if you’re current fist is in
A) Poor condition
B) Not the color you wanted
C) Not the spec you wanted
It’s not often you get a do over. Upgrading to a new fist could give you the chance to mod all over again and do it right with a bunch of well researched options out there.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
With what the OP stated a couple of posts above I would say its a great idea to swap up to a new one. Its eaiser to find Orange Spice with Molten Orange Recaros as well, so he should be able to crack a good deal.

I wouldn't, BUT if you do let me know! Shameless plug- I am looking for a Kona/Performance Blue! I even made a WTB thread in the for sale section lol

I wouldn't, BUT if you do let me know! Shameless plug- I am looking for a Kona/Performance Blue! I even made a WTB thread in the for sale section lol
I know of a Kona but I’m not back in the US yet and I want to buy it. Hoping to buy in late September if it’s still around.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Nope I do not like loans. I will pay it off and drive it till it's dead in the ground. I'm a little bit of a snob sometimes when it comes to financial responsibility I would like to have my house paid off early and retire a millionaire. You got to do what makes you happy at the end of the day just be prepared to pay the consequences for it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk