Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VA exhaust laws and Mountune/Ford exhaust.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF they are not setting an actual, standardized, db meter test sound level limit, that statute above almost seems unlawful, since it leaves the 'law' at the FULL/SOLE discretion/judgement of the LEO, or inspection station (don't know if it is 'privatized', like here in Pennsyltuckey, or state run).

They leave themselves totally open for a legal fight on that 'law'. ;)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Wow and people thought California laws were excessive and draconian. That law is pretty much carte blanche for them. I would say it also could face a hell of a court challenge for being so broad.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
I get confused, is it louder than the loudest factory car? That's how I read it. So if it's a factoryish exhaust system that not louder than a Vette could I argue I'm good?

Or would your replacement exhaust need to have the same components # of resonators, mufflers, and etc.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Also am I reading that correctly or am I going against the spirit of the law. Is it saying any non OEM exhaust component is legal?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also am I reading that correctly or am I going against the spirit of the law. Is it saying any non OEM exhaust component is legal?
Did you mean to say "illegal" above, because if so, that would then mean that ANY aftermarket system/muffler/resonator is illegal, even if it renders the exhaust note QUIETER THAN the 'factory' system! [crazyeye]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Virginia is a asshole state. I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure there are tens of thousands of vehicles in Virginia with aftermarket exhaust systems. You could just move to NC, and you won't have to worry about all that nonsense.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

I note an escape clause... it says " An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system" What it doesn't say is that it has to be as the same RPM as factory. Soooo, how loud is a factory exhaust at 7000 rpm? .. as long as the aftermarket is not as loud as the LOUDEST NOISE produced by the factory exhaust, one would be technically (and the law is built on technicality) in compliance.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I wish I could not worry. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and don't like to break rules/laws. If I do I end up having to shower, wash my hands, and etc. I'd like to be completely legal.
Sounds like a boring life. I'm sorry.

FWIW, I have the Mountune CBE on my car. It's most likely not going to attract any unwanted attention. I don't think any reasonable person would consider it to be "loud" by any means. Honestly I think the interior sound gives the impression that it's louder than it really is outside of the car. Also, according to Ford; "Meets 95 decibel drive-by noise standard for aftermarket exhaust systems when installed on stock applications".

With that said, you could probably do better for the money. It's not worth $700+

zanethan

Virginia is a asshole state. I wouldn't worry about it I'm sure there are tens of thousands of vehicles in Virginia with aftermarket exhaust systems. You could just move to NC, and you won't have to worry about all that nonsense.

AND you wouldn't have to have that god awful front plate we all hate!

Essentially all aftermarket exhausts in the state of Virginia are illegal, including the Mountune catback or Ford Performance setups. Unless your local jurisdiction has officers that routinely pull over cars with modified exhausts, I'd just buy and run what you like.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
No it is not......the active exhaust system in a stock Mustang has 4 modes and goes from quite mode to open exhausts........all louder that the ST stock. So does that mean in VA you can run the open exhaust on the Mustang since it is OEM? And this is a factory system. The same law would also cover bikes and HD has not met a State noise level for many years. So it is nothing that will be ticketed unless they are assholes, then go to court and make him look stupid on the stand. If they write you one go to court and ask the LEO to prove what the dB rating is on a stock ST and prove yours is louder, if he even shows up which in my experience is only about 50% of the time will they be there, have him explain what type of dB measuring equipment he used ......they can't. Ask him to explain what a dB is in electrical terms, he can't. End of case, dismissed for lack of evidence. The LEO would be destroyed on cross examination and probably never write another ticket on mufflers. They count on you NOT fighting it as 98% will just pay it.

I've never had issues with an MAP DP and FSWERKS CBE, though it's a pretty tame setup. Honestly, your exhaust has to be pretty obnoxious for cops to pull you over in VA.