Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MTC/Cobb/Whoosh/Depo/Pwnall off-branded?

I wish they would respect what I find value in with my more time than money, it's kind of a matter of principal to me, not that I'm dirt poor and can't pay for a repair, I simply can have more toys if I carefully research and find they very best deal possible while weighing the possible negatives.

Anyway, I guess I kind of insulted people some by going out of my way to show how cheap I am when there are great vendors that deserve support with the service they provide us. Whoosh and Pwnall are VERY active in the community as actual enthusiasts and your classy reply just shows how you are a true enthusiast first! Cheers! :)
That's very refreshing to hear, and I can relate completely.

I need to maximize what I can do with what I have, and life takes priority. Which means I can mostly only buy used on the forum, and small things new from Ron@Whoosh.

It's been great though, this community is awesome. I've had the pleasure to deal with a lot of genuine enthusiasts.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well maybe if the American company I worked for supported me more in the first place with better pay, then I could afford to pay the markup to a US vendor for the same Chinese made intercooler in the first place... Cobb/Whoosh/Depo/Cobb all literally use the same manufacturer in China anyway, I'm just cutting out the middle-man by willing to wait 3 weeks for it to come. This one isn't that design, but it's the same Garrett core used on the $600+ ATP. Trust me, I did't buy a Ford for no reason, I support American stuff too, even when it's designed in Germany, engine and trans come from the UK and assembled in Mexico. :) Point being, it's a world economy now, I'm paid world-economy money, China is the worlds manufacturer, and I simply found a way to make my hard earned dollars stretch further... Now when I get my union job with the state, I'll probably have my leeway in choosing US based vendors, hopefully more US made products! Just to explain my stance further when like you said, I can do whatever I want anyway, I respect your take as well!
good luck with the new state job :thumbsup:

SST

Anybody know if a Focus RS intercooler bolt onto our Fiesta ST? I am new to this car

XanRules

it's kind of a matter of principal to me, not that I'm dirt poor and can't pay for a repair, I simply can have more toys if I carefully research and find they very best deal possible while weighing the possible negatives.
I'm the same way, as a number of folks who've met me will tell you. I think most of the stuff on my car at this point was bought used from Ron's clearance/scratch-n-dent section or from forum members.

Very interested in the results you get from this kit! I'm still planning on grabbing a black Whoosh intercooler if I buy new, but I will be following this thread closely.

good luck with the new state job :thumbsup:
I used to work for the state employees union! Dan, feel free to reach out with any questions (depending on what you're gonna be doing) but do NOT use me as a reference ;)

Anybody know if a Focus RS intercooler bolt onto our Fiesta ST? I am new to this car
It is not a direct bolt-in. It would take significantly more work than it's worth for the performance gain.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I'm the same way, as a number of folks who've met me will tell you. I think most of the stuff on my car at this point was bought used from Ron's clearance/scratch-n-dent section or from forum members.

Very interested in the results you get from this kit! I'm still planning on grabbing a black Whoosh intercooler if I buy new, but I will be following this thread closely.
I sent you a PM with the details, I already have an offer, just waiting now!

But yeah, not sure which will flow air to radiator better, thinner 28" wide or thicker 24" wide.. I'm leaning towards ordering from Pwnall at this point since it is the same exact established quality cheap one as Cobb/Whoosh and Depo all offer too at the lowest price shipped and get an even better vibe from him than even Ron, LOL... That's not just his posts here but on FB groups too over the past few months.

me32

1000 Post Club
This is a 24"X6.5"X3" core, the Cobb/Whoosh/etc is 28ā€ x 6ā€ x 3ā€. This appears to be the same as the "ATP intercooler" listed here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4935-Intercooler-dimensions
Its in no way the same core as ATP. That china made one looks very very cheap. Personally if i was the OP i would pass and either shop the used market on the site or go with one of the vendors on the site.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Its in no way the same core as ATP. That china made one looks very very cheap. Personally if i was the OP i would pass and either shop the used market on the site or go with one of the vendors on the site.
Garret core is also made in China, very likely is the same core, but I likely have an inside on a new IC in development. :)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
I found this one too for $200
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...135705?hash=item3fa7dbbdd9:g:H-cAAOSwgJ1bbR~r

An unapologetic copy of the mishimoto one...
Yeah, fairly small, basically an off-brand J-line, they even call it a J-line in the description, heh... but that's why for $20 more I was looking at the Garret core one on AliExpress that's a copy of the ATP, although for $199 shipped this one is better than stock at least and includes pretty fast delivery considering it's coming from China, would be OK for someone with no intentions of going above stock turbo.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Garret core is also made in China, very likely is the same core, but I likely have an inside on a new IC in development. :)
can you show me a Garrett core part number that is the same size as one of these intercooler you are claiming are the same ?
I'll be waiting

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Yeah, fairly small, basically an off-brand J-line, they even call it a J-line in the description, heh... but that's why for $20 more I was looking at the Garret core one on AliExpress that's a copy of the ATP, although for $199 shipped this one is better than stock at least and includes pretty fast delivery considering it's coming from China, would be OK for someone with no intentions of going above stock turbo.
the Mishimoto J-Line and whatever you are talking about are completely different
Mishimoto's J-Line intercooler is a universal intercooler that has truly nothing to do with the Fiesta other than owners making a choice to fit it. Its not direct fit.
Also, your constant references to ATP's intercooler makes me wonder if you realize what you are looking at?
There are ZERO similarities in core size and exterior appearance
I'm frankly embarrassed to post in this thread

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Well maybe if the American company I worked for supported me more in the first place with better pay, then I could afford to pay the markup to a US vendor for the same Chinese made intercooler in the first place... Cobb/Whoosh/Depo/Cobb all literally use the same manufacturer in China anyway, I'm just cutting out the middle-man by willing to wait 3 weeks for it to come. This one isn't that design, but it's the same Garrett core used on the $600+ ATP. Trust me, I did't buy a Ford for no reason, I support American stuff too, even when it's designed in Germany, engine and trans come from the UK and assembled in Mexico. :) Point being, it's a world economy now, I'm paid world-economy money, China is the worlds manufacturer, and I simply found a way to make my hard earned dollars stretch further... Now when I get my union job with the state, I'll probably have my leeway in choosing US based vendors, hopefully more US made products! Just to explain my stance further when like you said, I can do whatever I want anyway, I respect your take as well!
False

Show proof of this
Depo is not China made
COBB is not made in the same factory as it's China counterparts, cp-e is all made in house....
so many statements from people that truly don't know but there are people that do...

The ONLY thing these intercoolers share is the intercooler core size dimensions

This thread is garbage
sorry not sorry

pwnall1337

Vendor
False

Show proof of this
Depo is made not China made
COBB is not made in the same factory as it's China counterparts, cp-e is all made in house....
so many statements from people that truly don't know but there are people that do...

This thread is garbage
sorry not sorry
Ron, CP-E uses vibrant cores right? I like the Garrett and Vibrant cores a lot, they have very good thermal efficiency.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
can you show me a Garrett core part number that is the same size as one of these intercooler you are claiming are the same ?
I'll be waiting
the Mishimoto J-Line and whatever you are talking about are completely different
Mishimoto's J-Line intercooler is a universal intercooler that has truly nothing to do with the Fiesta other than owners making a choice to fit it. Its not direct fit.
Also, your constant references to ATP's intercooler makes me wonder if you realize what you are looking at?
There are ZERO similarities in core size and exterior appearance
I'm frankly embarrassed to post in this thread
False

Show proof of this
Depo is not China made

This thread is garbage
sorry not sorry
[/QUOTE]

The whole point of this is that many use the same exact core design, that is what is going to matter most in their performance... And you're saying Depo offers an identical looking FMIC to the others, at the same price point but is not made in China? So is it Taiwan or Malaysia instead? A lot of us are here to learn and when we see *identical* core sizes across many identical looking IC's, then there are assumptions to be made especially when 3 of you guys offer the identical looking product within $25 of each other... So maybe different factories make them but they are the identical core design, like that one from China is an exact Garret core size and build type. You don't have to snotty to your customer base, a lot of us are happy to hear vendors explain more/correct details.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
The whole point of this is that many use the same exact core design, that is what is going to matter most in their performance... And you're saying Depo offers an identical looking FMIC to the others, at the same price point but is not made in China? So is it Taiwan or Malaysia instead? A lot of us are here to learn and when we see *identical* core sizes across many identical looking IC's, then there are assumptions to be made especially when 3 of you guys offer the identical looking product within $25 of each other... So maybe different factories make them but they are the identical core design, like that one from China is an exact Garret core size and build type. You don't have to snotty to your customer base, a lot of us are happy to hear vendors explain more/correct details.[/QUOTE]

not snotty, just facts.
I was not addressing my customer base. Only 2 people posting inaccurate info here

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
The whole point of this is that many use the same exact core design, that is what is going to matter most in their performance... And you're saying Depo offers an identical looking FMIC to the others, at the same price point but is not made in China? So is it Taiwan or Malaysia instead? A lot of us are here to learn and when we see *identical* core sizes across many identical looking IC's, then there are assumptions to be made especially when 3 of you guys offer the identical looking product within $25 of each other... So maybe different factories make them but they are the identical core design, like that one from China is an exact Garret core size and build type. You don't have to snotty to your customer base, a lot of us are happy to hear vendors explain more/correct details.
not snotty, just facts.
I was not addressing my customer base. Only 2 people posting inaccurate info here[/QUOTE]

No, pretty much all snotty and partial facts, and are enthusiasts your customer base or not? Many of us are here to learn and grow and not be pissed on by a vendor.