Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension options?

Thinking I want to get some springs for my car as long as it falls under this:
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1063/

I've had coilovers in the past on my Miata, they felt great driving around and were perfect for my STR autocross build. That plus 17x9 wheels and RE71R's lead to a few first place wins.

I got tired of being restrained to class restrictions and I just want to build a car to fit my personality. If I run it in the future it will be for fun and non competitive.

I'm looking at just taking it easy and go with a linear spring. Possibly swifts, debating on if I need Koni sports.

Before I lumped the no body or frame contact when lowered in with the while under normal operation. After re reading I'm interpreting it as I can be lowered to the point where my frame or body rests on the ground. As long as my bumper height fits the limits and my tires do not make body contact under whatever normal operation consists of I'm good.

Any takes on this? If you have nothing nice or constructive to add just refrain from replying please.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Do you guys think lowering springs or coils fall under the heavy duty equipment section?

What about the first part about the body or chassis coming in contact with the ground. Some cars from the factory can scrape on tall speed bumps. Does this just mean when the car is sitting? Or do I have to have intent? Like frame dragging a mini truck?

Is there someone I can call and ask these things?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF your state is going to hold you liable for the laws they inact, they MUST BE; ready, willing, and ABLE to answer these questions for you!!

Inform them that the (their??) pat; "Anything which is not 'factory stock' is illegal, PERIOD" is NOT an acceptable, stand up in court, catch-all, response! [nono]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
IF your state is going to hold you liable for the laws they inact, they MUST BE; ready, willing, and ABLE to answer these questions for you!!

Inform them that the (their??) pat; "Anything which is not 'factory stock' is illegal, PERIOD" is NOT an acceptable, stand up in court, catch-all, response! [nono]
That is not what the law reads.....in the EU and the State of VA you have bumper rules as to height. As long as the bumper measures correctly what you do with the suspension is on you. No reason to go to court, either it does measure or doesn't. You can also register as a "street rod" with exemptions.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
How sure are you? I'm thinking about giving the state police a call tomorrow.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
How sure are you? I'm thinking about giving the state police a call tomorrow.
"No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground.: 14 inches and you are good.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
It also says:
No one shall modify a car to have the body or chassis contact the ground. Does a large speedbump or exit/entrance where a normal car would scrape qualofy

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It also says:
No one shall modify a car to have the body or chassis contact the ground. Does a large speedbump or exit/entrance where a normal car would scrape qualofy
I can't imagine it would include speed bumps. It sucks legal language is so hard to understand. Unless someone on here is a attorney that deals with this type of thing, I don't think any of us can give you a hundred percent correct answer that you're looking for. I do agree with what [MENTION=2319]jmrtsus[/MENTION] is saying.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
Well if anyone knows of a Virginia officer please ask. I'll call around tomorrow if I have some spare time.

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
I actually need to call them to get a police report from when I got in an accident in my Miata.

OP
D
Thread Starter #14
most are for flat roads
Have any info to back this up? Not saying you are wrong just looking for some hard proof.

I'm thinking of just pulling my entire front strut assembly as one piece and ordering mounts, springs, and shocks. At least for the front, that way of I ever run in to issues I don't need to worry about dealing with a spring compressor the second time around. Don't think it will make a difference for the rears.

Anyone running Koni Sports with good results. I bet a high percentage of HS cars run them. Some nationals level people are probably running custom valved setups though.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It also says:
Dude, are you lowering the car low enough to drag the ground.....if so the bumper will be lower than 14 inches! You are making yourself and everyone else crazy. The law is posted on the thread in plain English and easy to understand. I give up.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It also says:
Are you lowering the car low enough to drag the ground? Yes or no? If so the bumper will be lower than 14 inches! You are making yourself and everyone else crazy. The law is posted on this thread in plain English and easy to understand. There are Fed Statues (M-M Act) that say you are NOT obligated to use only OEM parts......no State law can circumvent Fed laws. With your paranoia, just leave it stock. A Mountune exhaust is like stock, it is up to them to PROVE noise levels, not you. If a cop writes a noise ticket with only his ears it will be thrown out, he does not have legally accurate, certified and calibrated ears and does not know from audio "memory" how loud every car and truck made is. He cannot give you a speeding ticket based on his "guess" of your speed or his "guess" your exhaust is not at stock levels without knowing what they are on every car and truck and PROVING yours is louder than stock in court. Does he know that an ST if louder than a mom and pop Fiesta? No. I doubt he knows what an ST is. A ticket is just an accusation, you agree or go to court and THEY have to prove their accusation based on facts not opinions. Every state I have lived in (many) the traffic cops had audio meters. In your case you may need to stay stock as your paranoia will make you even crazier with mods. I have been to VA recently and saw cars that had exhausts and lowered with VA tags. Saw and heard fart cans on Honda's too. The way to deal with asshole LEO's is take them to Court. But that takes time and balls and most people will just be intimidated by the LEO and the process to fight it. You car your call.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The way to deal with asshole LEO's is take them to Court. But that takes time and balls and most people will just be intimidated by the LEO and the process to fight it. You car your call.
[thumb]
Some of them are just older 'Cartman's, screaming "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH" at the top of their lungs. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkHl_77Dls