Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Wing riser side effects

Hello all. Recently I have installed a wing riser kit purchased at Whoosh Motorsports. I frequently check my car for loose nuts, bolts etc and found my rear wing to be loose. I checked all the connections between the wing itself and the riser connectors. Facing the rear of the car I noticed while my hatch was fully opened, the outermost right connection my wing has actually cracked and become partially detached. It can’t be from over-tightening due to the location so I don’t know why it happened. All other connections are fine. Is repairing it even possible and if not anyone have any ideas on aftermarket options? Anyone else have issues with those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You might be able to use a plastic epoxy on it....The wing will have to come completely off though for it to be done easier and keep epoxy off the cars surface.[?|]

redmoe

Man that sucks! Did you happen to run the car through an automated carwash? I was thinking about wing risers but those brushes made me think twice.

Jerickson88

I’ve always been curious if this would happen so I’ve held off on doing it. Where are you located? Do you think heat exposure could do this?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think it's a vibration issue and overtightening.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

Most likely. I was assuming otherwise since the OP knew it wasn’t from over tightening, so I was giving a different scenario. But I believe you’re right.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My son has this setup and his wing broke somewhat similarly during installation. I had some epoxy putty on hand and filled the section of wing up with it smushing the broken bit down into it. I also used super glue on where the plastic bits touch to seal up the edge. It seemed to work fine. I did notice with this setup that you have to be very careful during the install to keep everything loose until you are certain that everything lines up and sits down flush. If you don't you will have a connection that had too much stress on it compared to the others. Good luck.

that happend to me also, i took everything of and used locktite to keep thing from loosening, haven't had an issues sense, i check it often because i have the vm wing on it to.

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
Man that sucks! Did you happen to run the car through an automated carwash? I was thinking about wing risers but those brushes made me think twice.
I never use automated carwash. You are right to fear those brushes as they can tear up paint. Our paint isn't very good to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
I’ve always been curious if this would happen so I’ve held off on doing it. Where are you located? Do you think heat exposure could do this?
I'm located in the Panhandle. I do not believe heat is/was an issue. I feel it's more likely a vibration issue and maybe overtightening. I say vibration due to the opening and closing of the hatch. Regarding tightening, it can be difficult to find the sweet spot when tightening. You are mating metal to cheap plastic.

OP
T
Thread Starter #13

I agree on the former more than the latter. I love the look but I dont want to get another OEM spoiler just to have this happen again. I'm looking at the Delta style from Whoosh. $$$

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
My son has this setup and his wing broke somewhat similarly during installation. I had some epoxy putty on hand and filled the section of wing up with it smushing the broken bit down into it. I also used super glue on where the plastic bits touch to seal up the edge. It seemed to work fine. I did notice with this setup that you have to be very careful during the install to keep everything loose until you are certain that everything lines up and sits down flush. If you don't you will have a connection that had too much stress on it compared to the others. Good luck.
Great points! I may use this advice in repairing mine. Any brand/type of epoxy you recommend?

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
that happend to me also, i took everything of and used locktite to keep thing from loosening, haven't had an issues sense, i check it often because i have the vm wing on it to.
Vm wing?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Great points! I may use this advice in repairing mine. Any brand/type of epoxy you recommend?

Loctite makes two different puttys, I think this is the one I used.

Loctite Putty

I just cut an inch off the log with a razor, kneed it with my hands until uniform and start cramming it in the hole. I left some room for it to expand into the wing further and heaped it up in the middle so when the two pieces are pushed together the epoxy forms around them both. Good luck.