Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Fiesta ST possible rally build candidate

2018 Fiesta ST build or leave totally stock?

Hey everyone, I guess this will be my one and only thread.. I am now an 18 Fiesta ST owner. I had to get one before they get discontinued in USA..

So my big question is... Do any of you have a purpose built one and daily it, or own two???

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is a young crew out of the DirtFish Rally School/Prep Shop (in Snoqualmie) running a magnetic FiST in the ARA series in the Limited 2 Wheel Drive class (NO sequential gearbox).

Call them up and ask them just how 'streetable' theirs is, and what they had to do in order to pass inspection there (IF you even have one in your county?).
My guess is that they would be stopped by every cop who spies the fully gutted interior, full cage/harnesses/race shell seats/no airbag racing steering wheel, even if it IS legal there. [:(]

OP
Northwest
Thread Starter #5
There is a young crew out of the DirtFish Rally School/Prep Shop (in Snoqualmie) running a magnetic FiST in the ARA series in the Limited 2 Wheel Drive class (NO sequential gearbox).

Call them up and ask them just how 'streetable' theirs is, and what they had to do in order to pass inspection there (IF you even have one in your county?).
My guess is that they would be stopped by every cop who spies the fully gutted interior, full cage/harnesses/race shell seats/no airbag racing steering wheel, even if it IS legal there. [:(]

No, im far enough away from big city where people legally drive Atv and built turbo side by sides, 2 stroke cr500 it don't matter you can plate anything here[biggrin]

Last edited:

dmb

ah to be young, and have big plans. don't ruin that new car. we use to have plenty of VW bugs around. baja bugs, manx buggy's, dune buggy's, chopper trikes. all from one car. all were thrashed and almost every one did it on the cheep. get my drift? I'm not dogging you, just advise.

OP
Northwest
Thread Starter #7
ah to be young, and have big plans. don't ruin that new car. we use to have plenty of VW bugs around. baja bugs, manx buggy's, dune buggy's, chopper trikes. all from one car. all were thrashed and almost every one did it on the cheep. get my drift? I'm not dogging you, just advise.
Well I don't know what you consider young but I am 30 LOL I sure don't feel young anymore already from 60 hour work weeks I bend down wrong my back goes out [rofl] Built some pretty cool vehicles in the last 12 years, and have the fiesta now after trading in my 17 powerstroke for it so naturally I will be saving a lot of money in every way imaginable..

I wouldn't need a fiesta ST if I was to try a tesla swap I could use any standard model fiesta hatch shell which can be found for under $600 with a blown auto trans, a wrecked tesla is around $15-20,000... See where I am going with this idea? A fully unique extremely capable car for dirt cheap (Just have to have the capability to figure it out)... Not buying a sequential gearbox is a big $ savings and can almost fund a whole wrecked tesla. This is a very serious idea and I wish someone has done it so questions could be answered or someone elses build to run off... Ive never built an electric car so starting with the proper whole wrecked tesla would be the "easiest" way to go but not the safest. They vin locked all crashed and flood damaged teslas and refuse to sell parts to you. So that is my #1 draw back, any part I would need would be extremely difficult to trace and I feel like it would take me 5 years and be a headache the whole way to get it all figured out which I do not have time for.

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You'd be a lot better off scrapping the Tesla idea and finding a decent aftermarket EV conversation kit. Check out some YouTube videos with people trying to make Tesla electronics do thinks that Tesla doesn't want them to do - doesn't look like much fun...

Also, I'm not sure that the FiST is the platform that you'd want to use as Ford did a lot of creative packaging to fit all their bits. Something more conventional, I think, would be a better starting point for your first EV build. Lot's of guys used to start w/ mini-trucks, but I not sure if that's still the case. I suppose that you could find an adaptor plate and some sort of flywheel/clutch assembly to mate a NEMA motor to the IB6 but it's going to be hard to put together an FiST EV conversion that beats the price:performance ratio of a conventional big-turbo FiST build.

I truly hope the OP is an electrical engineer, because the amperages involved in EVs are terrifyingly potent.

Hate to see “activate turn signal” with instantaneous “explode” scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

dmb

sorry, hope I didn't insult you. 30 seems old when your 30. and that's why we send 18 yr olds to fight our wars and not older recruits. fratricide was big in Vietnam. like Captainmorbid said it's the amps that kill you not the voltage. but you know that. trick is to have someone else pay for you to play. yeah I know where coming from, back surgery at 48 the old way, the kind that they open you up look around and fix what they see is wrong so you add 12 inches to your butt crack. now i'm almost 66 and believe me the next 30 comes alot quicker than the first 30. I've been breathing diesel exhaust my whole life from 3 cylinders to V-12's its in my blood. trick is to have fun, do your wife, and kids right. and fight for whats right. God Bless, Dennis,

2018 Fiesta ST build or leave totally stock?

Hey everyone, I guess this will be my one and only thread.. I am now an 18 Fiesta ST owner. I had to get one before they get discontinued in USA..

So my big question is... Do any of you have a purpose built one and daily it, or own two???
I have a SE and a ST I use both throughout the week depending on what I'm doing for that day. Honestly, it depends on what you want to do with your ST. If you're thinking about making it a collectible then obviously keep it stock. It's value should be going up since it's been discontinued, but that value is harder to justify on a modded car as you can't ensure it's reliability. Personally, I am building my fiesta because I don't plan on selling it and I want something that is uniquely mine. My ultimate goal is to have something that I can both daily and autocross with so big HP numbers aren't really my thing although having that option is always nice.