Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Guy from Michigan

Hello all,

Love the forums, I've been lurking since long before I had committed to buying my own '18 FiST a scant few months ago. The wealth of knowledge here is truly great, and hopefully I won't drive too many of you up the wall with my questions and rambling. I've wanted a FiST ever since I first owned a '12 base model with the 5-speed manual. I loved the handling, economy, and manual transmission but always wanted more oomph. The thrill of constantly flooring it wore off much faster than the thing could actually accelerate, especially because flooring it was a necessity to get anywhere! When I had heard that Ford was going to cancel their sedans after the 2018 model year, I knew it was my time to pounce. Now that the FiST is going to live on in the US for another year, I admit I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth in regards to Ford (what the heck are they doing?!) but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of this little car, and I am glad that the ST gets another year.

Earlier this year I purchased a FiST in White Platinum with black wheels/red calipers, no moonroof, no NAV, and no Recaros (I HATE leather seats!). I've got some plans for this car. Thus far, I have installed PPF (full fascia, hood, fenders, A-pillars, partial mirrors and roof), Black/Red-Logo Rally Armor flaps, and a few touches to the interior like a Boosted Designs dead pedal, rubber ST mats/cargo mat, and that goofy little chrome garnish on the brake lever. I'm a dyed in the wool DIYer (recently built my own moped from scratch!), and plan to do every conceivable step on my own whenever possible. Wrenching on cars is a hobby of mine, and many of the engineers at the facility I work at come to me for their car maintenance and repair, so I'm beyond excited to dig into my FiST to unlock its potential. After I get some winter wheels and tires, anyway.

I plan to modify this car in stages.

BUILD THREAD HERE

First, a groundwork phase that includes an OCC, LSD, PSMM/DSMM/RMM, plus a few bits such as a shift kit and pedal spacer.

Afterward, I plan to reinforce the chassis with braces (Pierce strut, lower front, rear lower, trunk, and midship) and possibly upgrade the anti-sway bars to Eibach (although I have heard that these combined with the torsion brace can lead to oversteer). I do not plan to lower the car at all - not here in Michigan! Have you seen our "roads"?

Next, the cooling system - an up-rated radiator (most likely Mountune) for certain, potentially a 180F thermostat, doubt I will bother with hoses (stock seem fine!) or an oil cooler (stock one will perform better with a better rad anyway).

Next, a "stage 3" kit. I use quotations because I am not interested in the Cobb or Mountune kits. Instead, I want to get a cp-e intake, cp-e exhaust, Whoosh catless DP, better exhaust hangers, Mishimoto charge pipes, and Whoosh FMIC. I plan to buy my AP through Stratified to have cheaper access to their tunes.

Finally, the turbo swap. I have not settled on which turbo I will go for, exactly, but I would like to keep a "stock-like" spool so thus far I have narrowed it down to the X47R, VT330R, or RT330. I plan to include a Turbosmart EM plumb back, quick spool header (or just port the stock), one step colder NGK spark plugs, and a custom tune through Stratified.

Of course, all of this is subject to change. I want to have a very nimble, solid FiST with lots of punch that can make a reliable daily, hence all the supporting mods. I'm aiming for 300hp and 300ftlb at the wheels, which may seem low but I do not want to have to get a "built" engine. Which actually leads me to my first question! Is it possible to reach these power figures with these mods on 93 octane with or without an aux fuel system? I am not at all interested in ethanol blends or WMI, and have read that the stock fuel system taps out around 300hp due to fuel starvation from the HPFP/Injectors, but have also read that 300+hp on the 1.6 Ecoboost is octane-limited which necessitates ethanol blends and tunes.

Thanks for reading my introductory novella! Any input is appreciated! [wave]

Cool, and welcome! Excellent color choice! Unfortunately, I had to actually pay extra to get that color on my '16. [sad]

Out of curiosity, do you have a need for all of these mods? (Do you even track, bro? lol) The only reason I ask is because it's real tempting to throw everything at this car without realizing how great it is with just a few subtle/supporting mods. I've been here a couple years now, and I've seen plenty of folks who jump in head first, go full-bolt-on, and are selling the car within a year or two because they're "bored" with it already. (This isn't so bad, it makes for cheap parts when they part it out [hihi])

When I started reading on this forum, I immediately had a list of mods that "HAD to be done as soon as I got the car!" Once I actually got the car and spent some time in it, I was able to chill out (maybe because my bank account requested/required/demanded it) and really researched everything until I came up with things that would make me happy with the car. A couple things here and there, and I still enjoy driving it every day (45k miles in 2 years). Honestly, the Access Port and exhaust was probably all I really needed... the rest were just good deals on used parts from people getting out of the scene.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your car - it's your car and your money, do what you want with both - everyone has their own priorities. Either way, enjoy that little go-cart/rocketship of yours. It's a blast!

Hey there!

I’m your twin in south east michigan, 2019 Platinum white

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: aw man.... didn’t even look at the dates. Did I miss the whole damn show? Cars gone now?

Last edited: